Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Build quality; how is your moto x holding up?

So I have had my moto x on Verizon wince October and I gotta say this is probably the worst phone I have had in terms of build quality and staying together. The back of the phone is coming apart from the front, it doesn't seem like the back is on very nicely. I have 6 hairline cracks on the sides where the Sim tray and volume buttons are and by the headphone jack. I think water got into my camera, because there is a faint water mark ( I think that's what it is) but it could be my fault considering I take it in with me when k shower to listen to music. I have hairline scratches all over the screen!

How is your guys moto x holding up ? I don't use cases really, I have 2 but they're just either too bulky or just pointless because its not enough protection. do you think this is a result of early manufacturing problems ?

thanks.
    yscty likes this.

Default Re: Build quality; how is your moto x holding up?

I've had mine since November and, except for the dings from when I dropped it, it's in fine shape. I do use a relatively thin TPU case and a screen protector (which really limited the damage from that drop) and I don't take mine into humid conditions.

I have had mine a few months. I have some very fine scratches on the screen and some scuffs along the bezel because I dropped my phone in a parking lot. I don't use a case though. All in all I am happy with its wear and tear

Posted via Android Central App

October here, and no damage at all.
    The Navy soft-touch back cleans easily too, with nothing but a microfiber cloth.

Global Posts
    288 Global Posts

Had my black x from Verizon since September. I have some scratches on the screen (even have the "anti scratch" screen protector and have 2 deepish scratches on the glass itself) and a scratch or two on the side of the body. I'd say I've used a case about 50% of the time. Overall I'd say it's in pretty good shape for what it's been through.

Posted via Android Central App - Moto X
    Ry

Global Posts
    9,099 Global Posts

0 issues. Still looks brand new.
    Android Central Moderator

Motorola Moto X (212.55.26.ghost_verizon.Verizon.en.US, KitKat 4.4.4)
    Motorola Moto 360 (LWX48T, Lollipop 5.0.1)
    Motorola Moto G (210.12.41.falcon_cdma.Verizon.en.US, KitKat 4.4.4)
    Google Nexus 7 2012 (LRX21P, Lollipop 5.0)

What other devices have I had? Here's my phone timeline.
    Support your favorite Android app and game developers. Pay for apps! And don't block ads!

Community Rules & Guidelines - Mobile Nations Forums

Global Posts
    751 Global Posts

still looks new here too. always in a tpu case or a qmadix

I got my Moto X in December, got the white back/white front and I've kept it in a case 100% of the time, except when I'm at home. So far I have just one light scratch on the screen, can't see it except in direct sunlight with the screen off so no big deal. Other than that, it's still in perfect shape, even after dropping it a few times (while in a case). No screen protector, but thinking about getting one made from tempered glass.

Here's the case I use, it's really slim but wraps all the way around the phone so it works well. It even has the dimple on back where the Moto logo is, which is nice. Amazon.com: SUPCASE Motorola Moto X Phone Unicorn Beetle Hybrid Case - Clear/Black, Free HD Clear Screen Protector, Bubble Free Installation Instruction Included: Electronics
    Current Device: Moto X VZW
    Previous: Galaxy Nexus, HTC Thunderbolt, Motorola Droid
    Before Android: Palm Pre, Blackberry Curve, Blackberry Pearl, iPhone (Original), Sidekick XL

I have had mine since Sept. 11,2013. So far so good. I don't have any scratches on screen or any dings on the side or back.

Alas, my Moto X has cracks as shown in this thread:

https://forums.motorola.com/posts/83eb1c001a

but it works perfectly so I'm not going to send it back to Motorola for a replacement for fear that the new one won't work as well.
    It's my immaturity that keeps me young.

Global Posts
    261 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jp719 View Post
    So I have had my moto x on Verizon wince October and I gotta say this is probably the worst phone I have had in terms of build quality and staying together. The back of the phone is coming apart from the front, it doesn't seem like the back is on very nicely. I have 6 hairline cracks on the sides where the Sim tray and volume buttons are and by the headphone jack. I think water got into my camera, because there is a faint water mark ( I think that's what it is) but it could be my fault considering I take it in with me when k shower to listen to music. I have hairline scratches all over the screen!

How is your guys moto x holding up ? I don't use cases really, I have 2 but they're just either too bulky or just pointless because its not enough protection. do you think this is a result of early manufacturing problems ?

thanks.
    It sounds like the seal between your rear shell and front panel might have had a gap or two and the humidity of the shower has made it even worse. There is a reason why putting a metal or plastic 'rim' around the phone is a good idea when executed well- it covers that seal.

The screen definitely scratches pretty easily - I have a few scratches on my Moto X screen as well - but they aren't really noticeable. My iPhone screen never scratched.

Those hairline cracks could be a lot of things. Have you have dropped your phone a few times?

Mine was perfect until I recently dropped it and one side is scraped up pretty good but I was happy the screen was still perfect. This was with no case either.

Perfect after several months. I have the teal back, in a clear hard case, no screen protector, have dropped it at least 4 times, no scratches on the screen, no sign of wear on the hardware

I got my Moto X back in late February and I have it then Androidified case on it silicone rubber and clear I don't really drop it now often but of course it's in mint perfect condition I'm not rough on my electronics but I mean mine is I'm fine it's responsive it's consistent everything I need it to me...

Me too. Mine looks brand new. It did fall out of my pocket onto a sidewalk once, but not a scratch.

I've had mine since October & it still looks new. It's been a case for about 50% of the time.

To the OP, I wouldn't say it has poor build quality at all. Sounds like you're a bit rough on phones. So maybe there are more rugged phones or cases that would better suit you to make the phone last longer for you. For example, using a phone in the shower.... It's an electrical device that doesn't belong in the shower so don't complain that it designed well enough for you to use in the shower, LOL. Don't confuse build quality with ruggedness.... they are completely different.

But in general this is a very good phone. It'll stay in good working order if you care for it accordingly.

Have the bamboo back and it's fine.
    Returned a Walnut backed one that developed markings.
    Have had the bamboo for a few months, so far so good.
    Currently using a DoDo Wallet case, so my X should stay pristine.
    IMO, they are extremely well built.

Quote Originally Posted by PapaGary View Post
    Alas, my Moto X has cracks as shown in this thread:

https://forums.motorola.com/posts/83eb1c001a

but it works perfectly so I'm not going to send it back to Motorola for a replacement for fear that the new one won't work as well.
    ha, weird. Like a press fit that wasn't within tolerances. Good Luck with it.

Global Posts
    3,741 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock JB 4.2

The Moto X I got in November was starting to get hairline cracks on the back panel alone both sides of the device. Motorola replaced it no questions and the new one is fine so far. It mostly lives on my coffee table as a remote and as a secondary media player now so it doesn't go out with me as much anymore.

No case here and still looks new.

I've been using the one I have now since late November/early December. No case. Still looks new.

The headphone jack stopped working about 4 months in. Other than that it was fine, I've only had the new one two weeks so it is still totally fine.

Got mine same time Davidnc got his. Been in the Otterbox Commuter case since. Had only one slip-up but it happened on the carpet. Everything works just like it did the day I got it. Screen, battery life, "OK Google"...

I've had mine since January 2014. I bought it with the clear case but did not put a screen protector on it. It still looks brand new. Very impressed with the phone build quality.

Global Posts
    482 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

I bought mine in early February. I always keep mine in a TPU case that covers the buttons on the sides and wraps around up over the top to provide a slight ridge to protect the screen when it faces down or falls. I also use a halo screen protector all of the time. I work outside and carry my phone in my back pocket all the time. I am a landscaper and work with hardscapes mainly. My phone gets abused quite a bit compared to someone who works in an office environment. I am on my knees a lot putting in patios, flagstone and stone walls. My phone gets sat on and my heels regularly rest on it when I am working on my knees. My phone gets used in wet conditions also. When I take my phone out of my case and take my screen protector off to change it, it still looks brand new like the day I got it. From my perspective, this is one tough well built little phone. My last 4 phones have been Motorola, the original Droid, the droid 2 global, the Droid 4 and now the Moto X. From my experience and the way that I use my phone and the conditions I use it in, Motorola makes great and durable phones.

Posted via a beautiful Ebony backed Moto X or the amazing Nexus 10 using the totally awesome Android Central App
    Tim
    Moto X
    Nexus 10
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast