Moto Maker: Unlocked GSM Moto X (with NET10 SIM) $299.99 through 7/16

PapaGary

Jan 23, 2014
Visit site
Okay. If a person were to buy one of these, take it to their local T-Mobile store where they would just pop out the Net10 SIM, insert a T-Mobile Sim, would it then work on T-Mobile?

devman

Jun 21, 2012
Visit site
Why do they never include the model number. If it is an XT1053, I'm in for one. I don't want a phone with Net10 customized firmware on it.

Mes3

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
The site says unlocked with a Net10 Sim included. I ordered one and I'll let everyone know what's up when I receive it.

Posted via Android Central App

Mes3

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
Haha. Hopefully! I ordered white face/woven white back/silver accents. They gotta have some of those sitting around already made!

nikvana

Jul 11, 2014
Visit site
Did you find out if you can you use it with other prepaid SIMs (e.g.-H20) or internationally (I'm thinking you would since it is unlocked but then what would Net10 gain!).

Also, is it XT1053 or 1058? and what's the difference between the 2 models?
Thanks for your reply in advance! :)

DOBwantsanAndroid

Jul 11, 2014
Visit site
I'm not techy, but you guys are having the exact discussion I need for help. I checked the Net10 website, and it says you can have a phone unlocked after 12 months of service. Were you guys planning on just using the deal and then jail breaking it? I'm buying a new phone to take from the US to the UK, and will be using only UK services for a year while there - so international plans and whatnot on US carriers are not part of my priorities at all. I only want a GSM unlocked phone. Is this the way to go?:-X I has confused.
@PapaGary - from wiki (thanks from before, for the advanced welcome) it looks like 1053 vs 1058 is a matter of carrier options. Is that correct or am I missing a major feature?

nikvana

Jul 11, 2014
Visit site
"Were you guys planning on just using the deal and then jail breaking it?"

I am assuming/hoping that the phone would be operational with other SIM cards too straight out of the box. Not sure how Net10 will ensure we can't use the phone with other GSM carriers.

will wait for @zer000five to clear up the confusion. :-!

zer000five

Jul 11, 2014
Visit site
"Not sure how Net10 will ensure we can't use the phone with other GSM carriers.

will wait for @zer000five to clear up the confusion. :-!
It's actually @Mes3 who ordered one.
Anyway this is supposed to be an unlocked phone with a net10 SIM card.
That is what the Moto maker page says, and those who bought the option with a T-mobile SIM say they can use their phone with whatever SIM they want.

Hopefully there's just a different SIM card in the box

devman

Jun 21, 2012
Visit site
Moto maker website says that it is Unlocked GSM, so it for sure will not be locked to Net10. It is likely (but not confirmed, hence my question near the top of the thread) that it will be the XT1053 model (up until now known as the Unlocked/T-Mobile/Developer Edition model). This late in the game I can't see Moto spinning a new firmware for a new model of the X, but you never know. I certainly would hate to get it and find out that I have a Moto X crapped up with Net10 branded firmware.

I'm probably just going to go ahead and order one, if it isn't an XT1053, I'll send it back for a refund.

mogelijk

Trusted Member
Jul 14, 2013
Visit site
Moto maker website says that it is Unlocked GSM, so it for sure will not be locked to Net10. It is likely (but not confirmed, hence my question near the top of the thread) that it will be the XT1053 model (up until now known as the Unlocked/T-Mobile/Developer Edition model). This late in the game I can't see Moto spinning a new firmware for a new model of the X, but you never know. I certainly would hate to get it and find out that I have a Moto X crapped up with Net10 branded firmware.

I'm probably just going to go ahead and order one, if it isn't an XT1053, I'll send it back for a refund.

I tried Motorola chat, talked to Rhodora, and she was mostly clueless. At first she tired to tell me that all the GSM models were the same and, after I pointed out the different radios, she admitted I was right. She was unable to find on her system which model the Net 10 model is; seems strange to me that she doesn't have some type of upper level support that can find the answer for her.

So, it looks like we'll have to wait for someone to get the phone to find out which model it is. Since Net10 has SIMs for both AT&T and T-Mobile, it seems like they would use 1053 to be compatible with both carriers.

mogelijk

Trusted Member
Jul 14, 2013
Visit site
I spoke with Motorola today. They indicated it was XT1058. Does this disqualify it for T-Mobile users?

It doesn't have an AWS radio for 3G. I believe most areas now have 1900 Mhz refarmed, which the 1058 does have; though you likely will only get HSPA+21 rather than 42. It will work fine for LTE on T-Mobile.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
XT1058 without the AT&T bloatware is a bit intriguing.

Posted via Android Central App (Moto X)

devman

Jun 21, 2012
Visit site
I ordered one today, I'll post back with the model number when I get it. The website said I had a 9 day wait though.

XT1058 without the AT&T bloatware is a bit intriguing.

Posted via Android Central App (Moto X)

That would be very interesting, particularly if Moto will allow unlocking the bootloader (something that is not allowed with the AT&T model). I still think it is likely to be an XT1053, but I wouldn't be surprised either way.

data_monkey

Jul 13, 2014
Visit site
I contacted a few motorola reps.. mostly they were intentionally misleading but a couple of them seem to confirm its XT1053. I have ordered one anyway but it is expected to arrive only on Jul 17th!
Anybody know how to determine which model it is once it arrives?

Update:
I just confimed with motorola with my order number and this is the reply "right, I've check the details of your order and it is Moto X Net 10 - 1 of OPTN,XT1053-AFX,16GB,BLK,ENDO model."

It is a XT1053!!!

Last edited: