Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Question Any harm in switching SIM cards?

So I have an AT&T Moto X (XT1058). My wife also has a Moto X on AT&T but hers I bought unlocked. She received the 4.4.3 OTA update, of course I have not received it. If I were to switch the SIM cards in our phones temporarily would I be offered the OTA update? Also, is there the possibility of any problems arising from doing this?
    Sandstone Black OPO (AT&T)

Default Re: Any harm in switching SIM cards?

I don't think it would offer you the update just by switching the SIM. But it wouldn't hurt to try.

Posted via Android Central App
    Moto X | T-Mobile | 139.12.57.ghost_row.Retail.en.US

Quote Originally Posted by megatomic View Post
    If I were to switch the SIM cards in our phones temporarily would I be offered the OTA update?
    No.
    Also, is there the possibility of any problems arising from doing this?
    No.
    It's my immaturity that keeps me young.
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

Thanks guys, it was worth asking.

Posted via Android Central App

loading the image for a 1053 on a 1058 could brick the 1058 since its a at&t phone..
    The "infraction"

Quote Originally Posted by itic View Post
    loading the image for a 1053 on a 1058 could brick the 1058 since its a at&t phone..
    How is changing the SIM "loading the image"?
    It's my immaturity that keeps me young.

The update comes on your phone not through sim. You also won't be getting 4.4.3 anyways because they stopped it due to security issues.
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

So a brand new phone being activated for the first time today would not have the 4.4.3 update pushed to it? Seems unlikely but I am a n00b.

Global Posts
    502 Global Posts

So a brand new phone being activated for the first time today would not have the 4.4.3 update pushed to it? Seems unlikely but I am a n00b.
    The 4.4.3 update was pulled/stopped because it had a security issue that 4.4.4 fixes. 4.4.4 should be just around the corner by now I think since it is the same as 4.4.3 but with the security issue fixed.

Its not about the SIM it's about what youre trying to do once the SIM is swapped. There are different versions of 4.4.3 for each moto x variant that arent compatible with each other since some are for branded variants (verizon, att, sprint) and unlocked GSM and Developer Editions. So if you try to install a at&t version of 4.4.3 on a unlocked GSM phone it could brick the phone.
    The "infraction"

Global Posts
    3,604 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock JB 4.2

Quote Originally Posted by itic View Post
    Its not about the SIM it's about what youre trying to do once the SIM is swapped. There are different versions of 4.4.3 for each moto x variant that arent compatible with each other since some are for branded variants (verizon, att, sprint) and unlocked GSM and Developer Editions. So if you try to install a at&t version of 4.4.3 on a unlocked GSM phone it could brick the phone.
    Updates are not tied to your SIM card. If you have DE Moto X the update comes from Motorola. If you have AT&T Moto X the update comes from AT&T via Motorola. Same for Verzion, Sprint, and Tmobile. They ID your phone for updating by the IMEI number which is unique to every phone.