Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Results 1 to 6 of 6
Like Tree1Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

    Default Cleaning up memory

    Okay so just out of curiosity what is everyone's habits for cleaning up memory on the Moto X? For example, no matter what memory size you have 16 gig or 32 gig when you go into settings and then storage do you dump your cache and your temporary files and clean up every now and then or just leave it there? I have noticed though that when I cleaned up my cache memory, and then going to my photo gallery it says no external memory available doesn't let me view my photos unless I reboot my phone completely. Kind of weird.

    Posted via Android Central App
  2. #2  

    Default Re: Cleaning up memory

    I don't have a Moto X but I use all in one toolbox & SD maid pro. It cleans all of that stuff out, & I clean the cache partition out once a week.

    Tapatalk'n On The M8 ☕🐸
  3. #3  
    natehoy's Avatar

    Posts
    1,713 Posts
    ROM
    Stock

    Default Re: Cleaning up memory

    Quote Originally Posted by eric002 View Post
    Okay so just out of curiosity what is everyone's habits for cleaning up memory on the Moto X? For example, no matter what memory size you have 16 gig or 32 gig when you go into settings and then storage do you dump your cache and your temporary files and clean up every now and then or just leave it there? I have noticed though that when I cleaned up my cache memory, and then going to my photo gallery it says no external memory available doesn't let me view my photos unless I reboot my phone completely. Kind of weird.

    Posted via Android Central App
    16GB. I just leave it there unless I am on an extended crazy photo shoot with my phone or something and need memory badly. Very, very rarely.

    And, yes, if you clean your cache you clean all the cached thumbnails of your gallery, but no one tells the poor gallery so it has to rescan the memory and rebuild the thumbnails, which happens periodically but always happens at a reboot. Quite a few apps misbehave when you "rip" what they stashed in memory away from them. Probably best to always just reboot after you clear cache, if you feel the need to do so.
    Phones: BB 8820 -> BB 8310 -> HTC Thunderbolt -> LG Optimus G Pro -> Moto X 2013 -> Moto X 2014
    Tablet: Nexus 7 2012
    Thanked by:
    weksa 
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

    Default Re: Cleaning up memory

    Quote Originally Posted by natehoy View Post
    16GB. I just leave it there unless I am on an extended crazy photo shoot with my phone or something and need memory badly. Very, very rarely.

    And, yes, if you clean your cache you clean all the cached thumbnails of your gallery, but no one tells the poor gallery so it has to rescan the memory and rebuild the thumbnails, which happens periodically but always happens at a reboot. Quite a few apps misbehave when you "rip" what they stashed in memory away from them. Probably best to always just reboot after you clear cache, if you feel the need to do so.
    Well as your pearly could tell by now I'm anal about keeping my phones memory absolutely clean even though I have the 32 gig Moto X. I have 20 .3 4 gigs available what you I mean I think my best practice in the future it's going to be clearing the cache, rebooting a phone, then I should be good to go for cleaning up my memory

    Posted via Android Central App
  5. #5  
    natehoy's Avatar

    Posts
    1,713 Posts
    ROM
    Stock

    Default Re: Cleaning up memory

    Quote Originally Posted by eric002 View Post
    Well as your pearly could tell by now I'm anal about keeping my phones memory absolutely clean even though I have the 32 gig Moto X. I have 20 .3 4 gigs available what you I mean I think my best practice in the future it's going to be clearing the cache, rebooting a phone, then I should be good to go for cleaning up my memory

    Posted via Android Central App
    Your call. The data is cached to your phone to cut down on radio and battery use by downloading or reconstructing something again. It's like the memory optimizers and task killers of the pre-FroYo days, they aren't really necessary but if the numbers are important to you, have at it.

    If you clean out the cache, it's probably good practice to reboot.
    Phones: BB 8820 -> BB 8310 -> HTC Thunderbolt -> LG Optimus G Pro -> Moto X 2013 -> Moto X 2014
    Tablet: Nexus 7 2012
    Thanked by:
    weksa 
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

    Default Re: Cleaning up memory

    Yeah I figured that..

    Posted via Android Central App

Similar Threads

  1. I finally gave up my DNA.
    By metz65 in forum Verizon Droid DNA
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 09-28-2014, 06:11 PM
  2. Replies: 14
    Last Post: 07-21-2014, 12:35 PM
  3. Need some help tablet locked up
    By AC Question in forum Ask a Question
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-20-2014, 10:08 PM
  4. Chasing down Pop up malware or adware
    By overzeetop in forum Ask a Question
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 07-20-2014, 07:55 PM
  5. autocorrect memory loss
    By Unregistered in forum Ask a Question
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-20-2014, 05:47 PM

Posting Permissions