What type of lock?

eric002

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Okay so just out of curiosity, if you lock your phone what type of lock screen the use I usually use a pin lock but I tried a pattern lock last night I just don't get the difference.

Posted via Android Central App

natehoy

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
Password lock here, but only because it's required by corporate security. Otherwise I'd use a pattern or PIN.

Pattern swipe is a little less secure than PIN, primarily because someone can potentially see your pattern in the screen smears and reproduce it. But it's not a huge difference and both are better than no lock at all!

I find a pattern to be more convenient because I just swipe my finger rather than having to lift it off the screen - others find PIN more convenient. I doubt you'll find any kind of consensus on which one is "better" except in terms of a small difference in security.

eric002

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Password lock here, but only because it's required by corporate security. Otherwise I'd use a pattern or PIN.

Pattern swipe is a little less secure than PIN, primarily because someone can potentially see your pattern in the screen smears and reproduce it. But it's not a huge difference and both are better than no lock at all!

I find a pattern to be more convenient because I just swipe my finger rather than having to lift it off the screen - others find PIN more convenient. I doubt you'll find any kind of consensus on which one is "better" except in terms of a small difference in security.

Yes I can see what you mean, I don't like last night it's much easier to do versus just clicking buttons. However, I don't know if it's safer than a pin actually I don't believe it is which is why I'm going to stick with a pin lock just curious that's all

eric002

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site

You know, I was just thinking about this as well periods between a pattern lock in a pin lock like you said and I agree because I was saying the same thing you can look at someones pattern lock and if you're good enough for smartphones like I'm sure we all are here you can see the number placement of their pin lock on their lock screen as well am I correct?

davidnc

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
I use to not even use a lock screen. I mainly just use slide lock. But if I don't have my phone in my possession I use a PIN lock.The PIN lock is just easier for me to unlock when the phone has to be secure

Edit:
If I "thought" someone could see what buttons I pushed to unlock with a PIN number from starring at my screen .They still wouldn't know what order they were entered in :)

sent from my Moto X , Android Central Moderator

Last edited:

eric002

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
So true I suppose lol I still love my pin lock... I just think its more secure than the pattern lock that's all and I love security in this day in age if you know what I mean

4runnerbrett

Jan 30, 2014
Visit site
The only way the pattern lock is secure is if you check the box to not show the pattern. Other wise its super easy to see someone's pattern

eric002

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
The only way the pattern lock is secure is if you check the box to not show the pattern. Other wise its super easy to see someone's pattern

Oh yeah I forgot you can do that I might give that a try today, and see how much I like that idea.

eric002

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
The only other issue with the pattern lock I just thought about is when you're replying back to a text message in a car or doing something voice controlled on your moto X in the car, the pin lock allows you to verbally speak your lock code I don't know how they would do that with the pattern.

natehoy

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site

The problem isn't someone watching your screen as you unlock it. Even my 8-character-must-include-a-lowercase-an-uppercase-and-a-number password corporate insanity is 100% vulnerable the instant someone watches me unlock it.

The problem with the swipe pattern is that you are drawing a line in finger schmutz on your screen every time you unlock your phone. Then, as you tap merrily away at your screen, you are slowly and randomly obscuring parts of that line in additional layers of finger schmutz. Hold your phone at an angle to the light and you may be able to make out the line that you drew while you were drawing the pattern.

Of course, something as simple as wiping the screen against your pants when you turn the screen off will obscure it, but Murphy ensures that the one time you leave your locked phone at the bar under the care of a friend for a quick trip to drain a kidney is the one time the friend will look away at the wrong moment and someone will casually slip it off the bar on their way out.

Pattern lock is still relatively secure - the number of times it is readable is relatively low, it's more convenient to some people than a PIN and is therefore more likely to be used (and any lock is better than no lock), etc. But it's about the weakest of security measures.

eric002

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
I prefer PIN lock but I hardly ever have to use it because I use Trusted Bluetooth Device with my Pebble.

You know, I do agree with what you just said about the trusted Bluetooth devices feature of our Moto X. It was time with me is that at first what about my x, I was using that trusted Bluetooth devices feature and I have the LG tone pro bluetooth headphones from my phone and it was connected which means my phone is never using the pin lock feature and I'd rather it be secure than the convenience of it which means I ultimately disable the trusted devices Bluetooth feature of my phone. Would rather my phone be completely secure than convenience if you know what I mean.

natehoy

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
I'd rather it be secure than the convenience of it which means I ultimately disable the trusted devices Bluetooth feature of my phone. Would rather my phone be completely secure than convenience if you know what I mean.

Understandable. If I had something like a Pebble that was always with me, I'd probably set lock to immediate then use Trusted Bluetooth, though. That way, as soon as the phone is out of range the next screen-on requires a PIN. This would allow you to eliminate the lock timeout.

Obviously, for optimal security, complex lock + immediate timeout + no Trusted BT is the ideal. But the security people use is always better than the security they don't.

eric002

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Totally agreed. At first it was using the trusted Bluetooth devices option, but I just stopped using it due to always wanting to try to pin lock that's about it.. At the end of day to each their own, I just wanted to get everyone elses opinion of course

ETPhoneHomeT

Aug 1, 2013
Visit site
To each their own I suppose. I've always got my Pebble on my wrist and if my Moto X is more than 50 to 100 feet from me, Bluetooth disconnects and the phone immediately locks. Also, I use a golf GPS app on my phone with the Pebble for yardages when I'm on the golf course and there's no way I would want to enter a PIN code every time I wake the screen to get yardage information.

Aside from this, I did originally use a pattern unlock on my first smartphone but switched to PIN as I do believe it's the more secure option.

ProParkour

Dec 16, 2012
Visit site
I use a password lock, 28 characters with uppercase, lowercase, numbers and symbols. Overkill? Yes it is. Can it get annoying to type in? You know it. Does it provide me with superb security? Definitely.

I've cracked my friend's PINs and pattern locks by looking at the smears and seeing where they tap on the screen (from afar). No one has been able to get into my phone though.

I don't need this security for work or anything. But I'm sure many of us have had friends trying to pull a prank while you run off to the bathroom.

eric002

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
I use a password lock, 28 characters with uppercase, lowercase, numbers and symbols. Overkill? Yes it is. Can it get annoying to type in? You know it. Does it provide me with superb security? Definitely.

I've cracked my friend's PINs and pattern locks by looking at the smears and seeing where they tap on the screen (from afar). No one has been able to get into my phone though.

I don't need this security for work or anything. But I'm sure many of us have had friends trying to pull a prank while you run off to the bathroom.

I used to look at my friends as Android phones and some coworkers iPhones and I've seen their smudges on your screen and I've been able to crack their pin lock in the pattern.. No one has been able to crack mine haha

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kaeros85