Jerry's insistence that the Moto X is 'perfect'

ultravisitor

Aug 29, 2010
Visit site
I was actually floored to hear Jerry talk about how he thinks the Moto X is perfect on the Android Central podcast, and that it really doesn't need any improvements over the current model.

You must be new here. Jerry's thoughts about the Moto X are well known and have been known for most of the last 12 months.

Well, I'll just overlook the fact that the current model (at least the carrier version) is kind of a PITA to root

Who cares? I have had absolutely no desire to root the Moto X in the past year of owning one. That's how great of a phone it is to me.

eric002

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
I was actually floored to hear Jerry talk about how he thinks the Moto X is perfect on the Android Central podcast, and that it really doesn't need any improvements over the current model. Well, I'll just overlook the fact that the current model (at least the carrier version) is kind of a PITA to root, and list a few things I'd very much like to see improved, as I think some of the ideas in the Moto X are great, but the execution is less than optimal:

NOTE: I haven't used the Moto X in quite awhile, due to the things I list in this post, so some/all of these may have been fixed with subsequent updates.

DYNAMIC NOTIFICATIONS
The BIGGEST problem I have with dynamic notifications is the clock. I like how it comes on when I take the phone out of my pocket or pick it up, so I can see the time without having to turn it on. But it also comes on every time a mouse farts in my apartment. Well, not really, but if I have it docked on my desk, just the SLIGHTEST nudge of the desk causes it to come on. Even sometimes taking a drink of water and putting the cup back down on the desk causes it to come on. This is an annoyance because I'm constantly catching it out of the corner of my eye, thinking I've missed a notification. Solution: Allow the user to turn the clock off without disabling dynamic notifications completely.

My other major gripe with this feature is that you can't prioritize the order in which dynamic notifications are listed. So, if I get a text message and then a Google+ notification, the Google+ notification appears front and center. I'd like the ability to list the order in which these things should appear.

DO NOT DISTURB MODE
This was the main reason I originally purchased the phone, as I REALLY wanted this built into the ROM, and didn't know at the time that the Galaxy S4 actually had a better version. Some things that could be improved here:

- No way to turn it on manually, like if you wanted to take a nap in the middle of the afternoon. I mean, WTF? Even the iPhone can do this.

- No way to set different times on weekdays and weekends

- No way to white list anyone but favorites. So if you want your boss set as a favorite but don't want him/her to bypass the DND mode, well... that's just too bad.

- No way to auto respond with text. (If the driving mode has this feature, why not the DND mode?)

I'm glad to see Android L getting a do not disturb mode, but sadly, it appears to have some of the same limitations as the Moto X does.

DRIVING MODE
I appear to be in the minority here, but I just didn't have very much luck with this at all. The feature that's supposed to start auto playing music NEVER worked, and I couldn't get turn-by-turn voice navigation to work over bluetooth in my car, even though the same feature works perfectly on my Nexus 4.

In short, I just found this phone to be a huge letdown, and FAR from perfect.

The only thing I've got to say, is granted the Moto X isn't great for everybody to each their own, but in general overall the phone as a wonderful device. Great software acceleration jammers pretty damn good, there's no manufacturer skins at all, get the latest software updates from Google. The battery life is pretty damn good as well, I can average about 10 to 12 hours on a single charge on average usage. For me, the stock Motorola apps such as touchless controls aka driving mode are wonderful. It allows me to be completely hands free while texting in the car.

Posted via Android Central App

eric002

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
You must be new here. Jerry's thoughts about the Moto X are well known and have been known for most of the last 12 months.

Who cares? I have had absolutely no desire to root the Moto X in the past year of owning one. That's how great of a phone it is to me.

At first I wasn't going to root the phone at all and I almost didn't only because of such a stock interface.. But I figured I would show you what a few tweaks to the Expos framework would do to the phone regardless. It wasn't too hard you just have to have tons of patience keep the phone plugged in while soft rebooting... 14102.jpg

Attachments

• 14101.jpg
    14101.jpg
    25.1 KB · Views: 275
  • 14099.jpg
    14099.jpg
    18.5 KB · Views: 275

thegrants82

Banned
May 8, 2013
Visit site
Moto X is nice and everything but spec wise it is way long in the tooth. If you could only have one and only one then the N5 is the logical choice. That is if you had to make the choice as of right now.
Hey Jerry, which ONE would you keep if you had to choose...Moto X or Nexus 5?:p

KWKSLVR

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
Personally, I'm over dealing with anything other than a Nexus or a developer edition of a device if there's something I want to play with. Been there, done that, and in the end hated trading one set of problems for another. If you want to root and rom that's great. Buy a phone you can actually root and rom. Don't assume you'll be able to do as you see fit and don't blame Motorola for doing what they should do. Buy a developer edition or buy a Nexus.

It's like buying an F-250 and complaining over gas mileage and no 3rd row seating.

BBSeattle

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
Operative phrase, Jerry's insistence that the MotoX is perfect.
I think it's awesome that he found the perfect phone for himself. Very few times in our lives do we find anything perfect.
More power to ya Jerry!

Wildo6882

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site
Improved camera and I would have been all over the moto x. In this day, a meh camera just doesn't cut it and that was the only real complaint I had with the moto x. Hopefully the x+1 fixes this issue, then again it is moto and they have never been able to put a good camera in any of their devices.

That was by far my only REAL complaint with the phone. It was otherwise nearly perfect for me. It was tough to see such grainy shots of my kids indoors that I had to go to something else. If they keep the same kind of ergonomic feel, up the screen size a hair, and add in a much improved camera, I'd probably be on board with the X+1. Kind of has me worried that Moto is doing the next Nexus since their reputation precedes them on bad cameras.

Premium1

Trusted Member
Nov 7, 2011
Visit site
That was by far my only REAL complaint with the phone. It was otherwise nearly perfect for me. It was tough to see such grainy shots of my kids indoors that I had to go to something else. If they keep the same kind of ergonomic feel, up the screen size a hair, and add in a much improved camera, I'd probably be on board with the X+1. Kind of has me worried that Moto is doing the next Nexus since their reputation precedes them on bad cameras.

I agree. Camera has always been a weak point for moto. It's a shame with how they improved everything else, they just can't figure out cameras.

z33dev33l

Banned
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I gotta say, it's amazing how everyone says that a bad camera just doesn't cut it and yet the horrid camera(s) on the M8 somehow receive the highest rated Android device.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Unlike previous Android devices I've had, my Moto X is showing NO signs of slowing down. Still snappy. Still quick. I don't notice any lag as I add more apps and more pictures and more videos. Still the most perfect phone for me today.

Pollster

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
+1 on the above, and as "horrid" as the camera is, it's still better than every camera on all of my previous phones. That's all I want out of the camera. It doesn't have to be the best camera on any phone, just the best one on any of my phones.

davidnc

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Actually I have yet to see a picture taken with any smartphone that makes me go "Oh Wow". That being said the Moto X camera while isn't perfect ,does work good enough for me :)

sent from my Moto X , Android Central Moderator

gabbott

Trusted Member
Mar 22, 2010
Visit site
Unlike previous Android devices I've had, my Moto X is showing NO signs of slowing down. Still snappy. Still quick. I don't notice any lag as I add more apps and more pictures and more videos. Still the most perfect phone for me today.

I feel the same way. I phone hop to every flagship every year. Not this year.

Wildo6882

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site
I agree. Camera has always been a weak point for moto. It's a shame with how they improved everything else, they just can't figure out cameras.

They have been historically bad. They make otherwise near perfect devices. Hopefully they can get a little better sensor in the X+1 and Nexus 6.

I gotta say, it's amazing how everyone says that a bad camera just doesn't cut it and yet the horrid camera(s) on the M8 somehow receive the highest rated Android device.

Actually I have yet to see a picture taken with any smartphone that makes me go "Oh Wow". That being said the Moto X camera while isn't perfect ,does work good enough for me :)

sent from my Moto X , Android Central Moderator

The M8 takes much better pics, IMHO, compared to the X. I used an X for quite awhile and also used a GPE M8 for about a month. The M8 with its stripped down 4 uP camera still took better, more vibrant, and less grainy pics than the X ever took for me. The only issue with the M8 is the inability to do much cropping. But I don't do much anyway. Many of my pics with the X (if they weren't taken in perfect daylight) turned out really grainy and poor colors and quality. Lost out on some good pics with my toddler this past Christmas because of it. It was the single reason I got rid of an otherwise perfect phone for me. I really did love the quick motion launch for the camera. If they improved the sensor on the next version, I could go all in on it.

And there aren't any phone cameras that make me crap myself either, but the X, when compared to the competition, is the clear loser on picture quality. My cell phone is my daily camera, and that's important to me with a toddler. I like to catch the moments and share them with family as well as print some out sometimes. The X's pictures were far too grainy to print out.

Premium1

Trusted Member
Nov 7, 2011
Visit site
They have been historically bad. They make otherwise near perfect devices. Hopefully they can get a little better sensor in the X+1 and Nexus 6.

The M8 takes much better pics, IMHO, compared to the X. I used an X for quite awhile and also used a GPE M8 for about a month. The M8 with its stripped down 4 uP camera still took better, more vibrant, and less grainy pics than the X ever took for me. The only issue with the M8 is the inability to do much cropping. But I don't do much anyway. Many of my pics with the X (if they weren't taken in perfect daylight) turned out really grainy and poor colors and quality. Lost out on some good pics with my toddler this past Christmas because of it. It was the single reason I got rid of an otherwise perfect phone for me. I really did love the quick motion launch for the camera. If they improved the sensor on the next version, I could go all in on it.

And there aren't any phone cameras that make me crap myself either, but the X, when compared to the competition, is the clear loser on picture quality. My cell phone is my daily camera, and that's important to me with a toddler. I like to catch the moments and share them with family as well as print some out sometimes. The X's pictures were far too grainy to print out.

Exactly. The Htc one is a good camera as long as you don't plAn on zooming and cropping. It does have a tendency to blow some images out depending on lighting. There hasn't been any real android camera to wow me.

Wildo6882

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site
Exactly. The Htc one is a good camera as long as you don't plAn on zooming and cropping. It does have a tendency to blow some images out depending on lighting. There hasn't been any real android camera to wow me.
I agree completely. For my use, iPhones have the best camera. But I'd really like to stick to Android and don't want to go to iOS just for the camera.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Akshay