Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree95Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Jerry's insistence that the Moto X is 'perfect'

I was actually floored to hear Jerry talk about how he thinks the Moto X is perfect on the Android Central podcast, and that it really doesn't need any improvements over the current model. Well, I'll just overlook the fact that the current model (at least the carrier version) is kind of a PITA to root, and list a few things I'd very much like to see improved, as I think some of the ideas in the Moto X are great, but the execution is less than optimal:

NOTE: I haven't used the Moto X in quite awhile, due to the things I list in this post, so some/all of these may have been fixed with subsequent updates.

DYNAMIC NOTIFICATIONS
    The BIGGEST problem I have with dynamic notifications is the clock. I like how it comes on when I take the phone out of my pocket or pick it up, so I can see the time without having to turn it on. But it also comes on every time a mouse farts in my apartment. Well, not really, but if I have it docked on my desk, just the SLIGHTEST nudge of the desk causes it to come on. Even sometimes taking a drink of water and putting the cup back down on the desk causes it to come on. This is an annoyance because I'm constantly catching it out of the corner of my eye, thinking I've missed a notification. Solution: Allow the user to turn the clock off without disabling dynamic notifications completely.

My other major gripe with this feature is that you can't prioritize the order in which dynamic notifications are listed. So, if I get a text message and then a Google+ notification, the Google+ notification appears front and center. I'd like the ability to list the order in which these things should appear.

DO NOT DISTURB MODE
    This was the main reason I originally purchased the phone, as I REALLY wanted this built into the ROM, and didn't know at the time that the Galaxy S4 actually had a better version. Some things that could be improved here:

- No way to turn it on manually, like if you wanted to take a nap in the middle of the afternoon. I mean, WTF? Even the iPhone can do this.

- No way to set different times on weekdays and weekends

- No way to white list anyone but favorites. So if you want your boss set as a favorite but don't want him/her to bypass the DND mode, well... that's just too bad.

- No way to auto respond with text. (If the driving mode has this feature, why not the DND mode?)

I'm glad to see Android L getting a do not disturb mode, but sadly, it appears to have some of the same limitations as the Moto X does.

DRIVING MODE
    I appear to be in the minority here, but I just didn't have very much luck with this at all. The feature that's supposed to start auto playing music NEVER worked, and I couldn't get turn-by-turn voice navigation to work over bluetooth in my car, even though the same feature works perfectly on my Nexus 4.

In short, I just found this phone to be a huge letdown, and FAR from perfect.

Global Posts
    820 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Default Re: Jerry's insistence that the Moto X is 'perfect'

Just because it didn't work for you doesn't mean that it's not perfect in someone else's eyes. To each it's own.

Posted via Android Central App
    Thanked by 6:
    davidnc, ultravisitor, Ry and 7 others like this.

Global Posts
    8,723 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock 4.4 (KitKat)

Keep in mind that this is an opinion, and to Jerry, the Moto X is a great phone as is. Heck, I still think my HTC Hero is a heck of a phone size wise and has a trackball to boot.

I don't think there's ever going to be a device that solves every problem, including those listed in your post.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using AC Forums mobile app
    Thanked by 3:
    A895JohnlyRy 
    davidnc, Johnly, Ry and 4 others like this.

Global Posts
    21,595 Global Posts
    ROM
    Liquidsmooth ROM

I ran the Moto X, Nexus 5, and now the M8. Of those three, if I had to choose a phone all over again, the X would be heavily considered.

Signed, an M8, Liquidsmooth, and the AC Forums App
    Last edited by Golfdriver97; 07-29-2014 at 09:21 AM.

Phone Timeline
    'If we could change ourselves, the tendencies in the world would also change.' - Mahatma Gandhi
    Community Guidelines and also here
    davidnc, Paul627g, A895 and 1 others like this.

Man, I gotta with Jerry on this one. Not the best screen. Not the best camera. Yet, it's my first phone that could go all day and still function the next morning without a charge. It's my first phone that I can talk to while driving and send texts, listen to email, and play music without talking my hands off of the steering wheel. It's not perfectly in any one category, but it's the best all around phone I've ever had.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk
    Thanked by 4:
    A895RySRN7weksa 

Global Posts
    394 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by Air pirate View Post
    Man, I gotta with Jerry on this one. Not the best screen. Not the best camera. Yet, it's my first phone that could go all day and still function the next morning without a charge. It's my first phone that I can talk to while driving and send texts, listen to email, and play music without talking my hands off of the steering wheel. It's not perfectly in any one category, but it's the best all around phone I've ever had.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk
    ^this!

Posted via a beautiful Ebony backed Moto X on Verizon or the amazing Nexus 10 using the Android Central App
    Tim
    Droid 4
    Nexus 10
    Lapdock 500 Pro

Global Posts
    70 Global Posts

I bought the Moto X the weekend after it released. The G3 is the first phone since then that actually made me think about switching. Got one of them, had it for a week and returned it. I agree with Jerry. For me the Moto X is as close to a perfect phone as I've ever had.
    Thanked by:
    Ry 
    blackbyrd, davidnc and Ry like this.
    Banned

Global Posts
    97 Global Posts

I replaced my X with the Z2, I find it better in all regards with only one exception. The voice activated features even with the screen off were great but not enough to keep me from switching.

Global Posts
    665 Global Posts

I think on the whole the Moto X is the least non-perfect. All phones have their issues. The X just has significantly fewer of them. The camera is my only complaint.

I am still rockin' my X and I don't really think that I'll be giving it up anytime soon. I personally haven't looked into the Moto X+1 or anything, but I hear its going to be bigger. Of course! That's one of the things I love about this phone. The form factor of it is absolutely amazing. Its not a puny little screen like the iPhone and its not a humongous screen like 90% of the other phones.

The Moto X is for persons that don't believe their phone is the end all world solution to happiness. If you want a phone that works and not a supercomputer because well you have one at home then it is perfect. IMO there is little to no reason for my phone to be a solution before my tablets or home computer. Most of the people that want those things in their phones are also the idiots on them while freaking driving.
    Thanked by:

Quote Originally Posted by zedorda View Post
    The Moto X is for persons that don't believe their phone is the end all world solution to happiness. If you want a phone that works and not a supercomputer because well you have one at home then it is perfect. IMO there is little to no reason for my phone to be a solution before my tablets or home computer. Most of the people that want those things in their phones are also the idiots on them while freaking driving.
    Well said.
    It's my immaturity that keeps me young.
    Thanked by:

I got to agree with Jerry as well. Best phone I've ever used. I don't have any desire for the flagship's of 2014 so far

Sent from my XT1060 using AC Forums mobile app

Global Posts
    7,670 Global Posts
    ROM
    Nexus(AOKP-jb_4.2.1)

To me its been the perfect phone.Has all the features I want.
    Really that's all that matters to me since I am the one using it.
    I probably will check out the Moto X +1 though
    jephanie likes this.

I agree with all posts above liking the X.
    If the X+1 was the same size as the X, I would break down and buy for sure. Not sure what could push me to upgrade to Moto again if they abandon this form factor. The way it feels in my hand is at least 25% of what I like about this phone.
    wsmather likes this.

Hopefully, someone from Motorola is reading all this.

I am waiting to use my Moto X. Unfortunately stuck with an ATT version (which is a PITA to root etc.) and need to unlock it before I can use on TMO. Also will get my OPO in a day or two so will have a side by side comparison of the two and then report back.

Quote Originally Posted by worknman View Post
    I was actually floored to hear Jerry talk about how he thinks the Moto X is perfect on the Android Central podcast, and that it really doesn't need any improvements over the current model. Well, I'll just overlook the fact that the current model (at least the carrier version) is kind of a PITA to root, and list a few things I'd very much like to see improved, as I think some of the ideas in the Moto X are great, but the execution is less than optimal:

NOTE: I haven't used the Moto X in quite awhile, due to the things I list in this post, so some/all of these may have been fixed with subsequent updates.

DYNAMIC NOTIFICATIONS
    The BIGGEST problem I have with dynamic notifications is the clock. I like how it comes on when I take the phone out of my pocket or pick it up, so I can see the time without having to turn it on. But it also comes on every time a mouse farts in my apartment. Well, not really, but if I have it docked on my desk, just the SLIGHTEST nudge of the desk causes it to come on. Even sometimes taking a drink of water and putting the cup back down on the desk causes it to come on. This is an annoyance because I'm constantly catching it out of the corner of my eye, thinking I've missed a notification. Solution: Allow the user to turn the clock off without disabling dynamic notifications completely.

My other major gripe with this feature is that you can't prioritize the order in which dynamic notifications are listed. So, if I get a text message and then a Google+ notification, the Google+ notification appears front and center. I'd like the ability to list the order in which these things should appear.

DO NOT DISTURB MODE
    This was the main reason I originally purchased the phone, as I REALLY wanted this built into the ROM, and didn't know at the time that the Galaxy S4 actually had a better version. Some things that could be improved here:

- No way to turn it on manually, like if you wanted to take a nap in the middle of the afternoon. I mean, WTF? Even the iPhone can do this.

- No way to white list anyone but favorites. So if you want your boss set as a favorite but don't want him/her to bypass the DND mode, well... that's just too bad.

- No way to auto respond with text. (If the driving mode has this feature, why not the DND mode?)

I'm glad to see Android L getting a do not disturb mode, but sadly, it appears to have some of the same limitations as the Moto X does.

DRIVING MODE
    I appear to be in the minority here, but I just didn't have very much luck with this at all. The feature that's supposed to start auto playing music NEVER worked, and I couldn't get turn-by-turn voice navigation to work over bluetooth in my car, even though the same feature works perfectly on my Nexus 4.

Improved camera and I would have been all over the moto x. In this day, a meh camera just doesn't cut it and that was the only real complaint I had with the moto x. Hopefully the x+1 fixes this issue, then again it is moto and they have never been able to put a good camera in any of their devices.

Global Posts
    588 Global Posts

The Moto X is the perfect device for me. I hope Motorola keeps up this trend because it's awesome.

I'm assuming that this is one of your dislikes of the Moto X. But why is it being difficult to root a downfall? The great thing about the Moto X is the fact that it's a really, really good device out of the box and rooting is almost unnecessary.

Jerry has been praising the Moto X for almost a year now (since it has been out). His opinion is his opinion, of course. But I haven't been surprised at all of his satisfaction with the phone. I like that he gives all the flagships their fair shake and withholds overall opinion of devices until he's actually used them day-to-day. Out of all the Android phones that are out there, it says a lot about the Moto X from what someone who makes a living off of studying and reviewing tech to say it is the best one.
    Formerly forever29
    iPhone 5S 64GB
    Galaxy Note 3
    iPad Mini with Retina 32gb
    Thanked by 3:
    RyUJ95xzedorda 
    Ry, zedorda, Pollster and 1 others like this.

One persons perfect is anothers imperfect. To each their own. I think the Nexus 5 is perfect.

I was actually floored to hear Jerry talk about how he thinks the Moto X is perfect on the Android Central podcast, and that it really doesn't need any improvements over the current model.
    You must be new here. Jerry's thoughts about the Moto X are well known and have been known for most of the last 12 months.

Well, I'll just overlook the fact that the current model (at least the carrier version) is kind of a PITA to root
    Who cares? I have had absolutely no desire to root the Moto X in the past year of owning one. That's how great of a phone it is to me.

DYNAMIC NOTIFICATIONS

DO NOT DISTURB MODE

DRIVING MODE

The only thing I've got to say, is granted the Moto X isn't great for everybody to each their own, but in general overall the phone as a wonderful device. Great software acceleration jammers pretty damn good, there's no manufacturer skins at all, get the latest software updates from Google. The battery life is pretty damn good as well, I can average about 10 to 12 hours on a single charge on average usage. For me, the stock Motorola apps such as touchless controls aka driving mode are wonderful. It allows me to be completely hands free while texting in the car.

Quote Originally Posted by ultravisitor View Post
    You must be new here. Jerry's thoughts about the Moto X are well known and have been known for most of the last 12 months.

Who cares? I have had absolutely no desire to root the Moto X in the past year of owning one. That's how great of a phone it is to me.
    At first I wasn't going to root the phone at all and I almost didn't only because of such a stock interface.. But I figured I would show you what a few tweaks to the Expos framework would do to the phone regardless. It wasn't too hard you just have to have tons of patience keep the phone plugged in while soft rebooting... Jerry's insistence that the Moto X is 'perfect'-14102.jpg

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Jerry's insistence that the Moto X is 'perfect'-14101.jpg   Jerry's insistence that the Moto X is 'perfect'-14099.jpg  

Global Posts
    303 Global Posts

Jerry, who?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast