Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree5Likes

Default Re: upgrade to X or wait for X+1

Getting a phone that is a year old when the new one is a few weeks away may not be the best move, especially if you plan on keeping it as long as your Galaxy Nexus. Trade a few weeks for the possibility of gaining an extra year of tech advances in the phone you're going to have for 2+ years.

Support may also be an issue if you plan on owning the phone for a long time. Most manufacturers only guarantee 2 years of updates from release.
    dmark44 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by mogelijk View Post
    I think it depends on what you want. If you want to stay with a smaller phone, you might be better buying the X now. If you want an inexpensive but quality phone, then the X is currently a great deal, starting at $299 on Motomaker. If you want a larger screen and/or a faster processor then you are better to wait. It really all depends on what is important to you in a phone.
    Website currently says $349.99.

Lg0Gpro_2_AC

Quote Originally Posted by BuffOrange View Post
    Am currently facing the same dilemma. Think I'm going to wait it out. Presumably Moto isn't going to completely discontinue the predecessor when the new one comes out as Google does with the Nexus. So if the X2 is too expensive or whatever the X will still be there.

I just hope the nanosim doesn't cause any problems. Anyone know if it's super easy to keep the same prepaid plan with a different sim? Never had to do it so I have this weird fear that T-Mobile is gonna give me grief about it.
    You can get a sim card cutter from amazon for $7. That's what I did when I got my Moto X. It still works perfectly today.

Quote Originally Posted by Ry View Post
    They run 4.4.4.

And I'd still buy a Moto X today (8/13) if I needed to buy a phone today.

Posted via Android Central App (Moto X)
    Same here. The moto X is a fantastic phone, and I am no doubt going to buy the x+1 when they release it.

Global Posts
    214 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Brad Steele View Post
    Website currently says $349.99.

Lg0Gpro_2_AC
    When I posted that, the Moto X was on sale and had been for about 3 weeks. The sales would technically go about a week but, at the end of the sale, they would start a "new" sale at $299. Unfortunately, they didn't start a new sale after the last one expired and the price on the unlocked version is back to $399 (though they are now offering a free wood back). I somewhat expect another sale around Labor Day, possibly ending about the time of the announcement on Sept. 4.

In the midst of this dilemma...I actually got my 32gb Motomaker MotoX for VZW through the last sale...have it in hand since Tuesday.
    It's a smooth feeling device, but pretty sure I am going to return it.
    While it fits in my hand (and pocket) very well, being a bit of a power user... coming from a Droid Razr Maxx (and before that, HTC Droid Incredible with the extended battery), I am appalled while watching the battery level plummeting.
    I have never been so tethered to a charger in my life.
    Constantly looking for more settings to toggle/adjust/shut down in order to actually use this moderately without having to recharge before bed-time.
    The MotoX is a beautifully clear screen, but barely larger for my aging eyes...if true the X+1 will be 5.2", THAT would possibly be more of a positive and noticeable size change from the DRMaxx for me.
    Also, not liking that in streamlining apps, Motorola has turned this into "smartphones for dummies". Camera app...where are your sport/macro/indoor/party/exposure/location on/off, etc settings? Bring back time/date stamps! At least they added "Home" to the Assist app, but I would like ability to add refinements or add my own defined rules/situations. Gallery is just a shaken up paperbag full of items.. I need more control over the photos for use at work. New contacts and dialer, again, feels too iPhone-y for dummies to me.
    I suppose the upcoming phones will be similar with content, but at least battery will be larger...hopefully the software/processor will be more frugal with the battery.
    So, probably going to go back to my DRMaxx for a couple of months, even with the foibles it has been developing...once more, factory reset. Maybe it is time to finally CM11 the DRMaxx.....
    Banned

Global Posts
    223 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by PeninaD View Post
    While it fits in my hand (and pocket) very well, being a bit of a power user... coming from a Droid Razr Maxx (and before that, HTC Droid Incredible with the extended battery), I am appalled while watching the battery level plummeting.
    something is wrong then b/c the moto x has phenomenal battery life.

The MotoX is a beautifully clear screen, but barely larger for my aging eyes...if true the X+1 will be 5.2", THAT would possibly be more of a positive
    bigger is better when it comes to screens and aging eyes, no doubt.

Camera app...where are your sport/macro/indoor/party/exposure/location on/off, etc settings?
    the camera is the worst part of the moto x and if a phone camera is important to you, the moto x is not for you.

Gallery is just a shaken up paperbag full of items.. I need more control over the photos for use at work. New contacts and dialer, again, feels too iPhone-y for dummies to me.
    Then you don't like vanilla android. Vanilla android is for those who want to customize and don't want an OEM skin to muck things up.
    Thanked by:

Oh, I do usually play and some customizations, but wanted to use mostly as is for a bit.
    I actually already have a few camera apps (which I did not install on this phone) could try out, such as Vignette (which I had to use often with DRMaxx). Today I'll run this very bare, shut off location, mic on, etc. Will be in a more major Metropolitan area later in the day, so perhaps stronger 3G/4GLTE signals will make a difference, too. I'll play another couple of days.

Quote Originally Posted by mogelijk View Post
    When I posted that, the Moto X was on sale and had been for about 3 weeks. The sales would technically go about a week but, at the end of the sale, they would start a "new" sale at $299. Unfortunately, they didn't start a new sale after the last one expired and the price on the unlocked version is back to $399 (though they are now offering a free wood back). I somewhat expect another sale around Labor Day, possibly ending about the time of the announcement on Sept. 4.
    I saw that free wood back upgrade, I'm tempted to get it in bamboo.

Lg0Gpro_2_AC
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12