upgrade to X or wait for X+1

militarymedic23

Dec 30, 2011
Visit site
Coming from the older ages of a galaxy nexus on verizon, it's about time to look to greener pastures in the cell phone market. Milked this thing out long enough, but it's certainly past its prime.
Have kept my eye on the nexus 6 news and the hopeful launch in a few months, but all the data points to that phone being the massive 5.9" display. For a rather low key user of a smartphone, that is a bit overkill for me so I'm trying to look into other models. On various forums including this one I have come across posts recommending the Moto X for those also looking to upgrade devices, but with the news of an X+1 model coming out, what is the recommendation from people? Buy an X model now or is there enough change speculated that holding off to see the X+1 would be worth while?

Thanks!

mhettrich

Aug 5, 2011
Visit site
Coming from the older ages of a galaxy nexus on verizon, it's about time to look to greener pastures in the cell phone market. Milked this thing out long enough, but it's certainly past its prime.
Have kept my eye on the nexus 6 news and the hopeful launch in a few months, but all the data points to that phone being the massive 5.9" display. For a rather low key user of a smartphone, that is a bit overkill for me so I'm trying to look into other models. On various forums including this one I have come across posts recommending the Moto X for those also looking to upgrade devices, but with the news of an X+1 model coming out, what is the recommendation from people? Buy an X model now or is there enough change speculated that holding off to see the X+1 would be worth while?

Thanks!

If you can hold out for a few weeks I would do that. Chances are we will find out what the X+1 is within that time frame.

cjohn4043

Jul 21, 2012
Visit site
I have a feeling we will hear something about the X+1 and Moto 360 later this week or sometime next week. Just my guess.

mogelijk

Trusted Member
Jul 14, 2013
Visit site

Thanks!

I think it depends on what you want. If you want to stay with a smaller phone, you might be better buying the X now. If you want an inexpensive but quality phone, then the X is currently a great deal, starting at $299 on Motomaker. If you want a larger screen and/or a faster processor then you are better to wait. It really all depends on what is important to you in a phone.

Clocks

Aug 27, 2010
Visit site
I bet by mid August we'll have enough leaks or a announcement date to help anyone on the fence. However keep in mind the x+1 probably won't launch at $299...so if you're on a fixed budget regardless (and you don't want a used x on swappa) you might as well buy now.

I'm going to pull a number out of thin and and guess $499 for 16gb with much less frequent discounts in the coming months than hit the Moto X.

mogelijk

Trusted Member
Jul 14, 2013
Visit site
I bet by mid August we'll have enough leaks or a announcement date to help anyone on the fence. However keep in mind the x+1 probably won't launch at $299...so if you're on a fixed budget regardless (and you don't want a used x on swappa) you might as well buy now.

I'm going to pull a number out of thin and and guess $499 for 16gb with much less frequent discounts in the coming months than hit the Moto X.

I worry the X+1 will be over $600 when it comes out, like the X was, and then they will only lower the price based on sales. Of course, this will depend on the specs but I definitely see it being over $600 ($200 on contract) if it comes with a Snapdragon 80x processor, 1080p screen, etc.

PapaGary

Jan 23, 2014
Visit site
I worry the X+1 will be over $600 when it comes out, like the X was, and then they will only lower the price based on sales. Of course, this will depend on the specs but I definitely see it being over $600 ($200 on contract) if it comes with a Snapdragon 80x processor, 1080p screen, etc.

Yep. The MSRP on the X was $499 when it was introduced.

shamelin73

Jul 29, 2010
Visit site
I would get the X. The new one won't be discounted. I got the GSM developers version for $324. Can't do better for a great phone.

Sent from my XT1053 using Tapatalk

ScottMGS

Aug 3, 2012
Visit site
If you're someone who isn't spec-driven I'd go with the X. If you can wait a couple weeks wait and see what the X+1 is like but, as others have said, it will certainly cost a chunk at first. The X will still be available in a couple weeks and it'll still be a great phone.

davidnc

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
I agee with what everyone else has said .The Moto X+1 will cost more. The Moto X and is still a great little phone. I guess it all depends on your budget.

BuffOrange

Apr 30, 2013
Visit site
Am currently facing the same dilemma. Think I'm going to wait it out. Presumably Moto isn't going to completely discontinue the predecessor when the new one comes out as Google does with the Nexus. So if the X2 is too expensive or whatever the X will still be there.

I just hope the nanosim doesn't cause any problems. Anyone know if it's super easy to keep the same prepaid plan with a different sim? Never had to do it so I have this weird fear that T-Mobile is gonna give me grief about it.

mogelijk

Trusted Member
Jul 14, 2013
Visit site
Am currently facing the same dilemma. Think I'm going to wait it out. Presumably Moto isn't going to completely discontinue the predecessor when the new one comes out as Google does with the Nexus. So if the X2 is too expensive or whatever the X will still be there.

I just hope the nanosim doesn't cause any problems. Anyone know if it's super easy to keep the same prepaid plan with a different sim? Never had to do it so I have this weird fear that T-Mobile is gonna give me grief about it.

I'm not sure what to think. The recent sales on the Moto X have stated "while supplies last"; which at least sounds like they are trying to sell out of the phone. Of course, it is possible they are trying to sell out of many of the colors on Motomaker so they can switch Motomaker over for the X+1 and that the Moto X will only be available in basic colors (like black and white) after the X+1 is released.

PapaGary

Jan 23, 2014
Visit site
Here is something to think about:

-When I bought my XT1053 16GB Moto X on Cyber Monday it was $349,00 or $150 off the MSR of $499.00

-The 64GB XT1053 is now on sale for $374.99

-The next generation of Moto X will "probably" list for at least $499.00 for a 16GB unit

I know what I'd do.:)

Last edited:

moelsen

Mar 11, 2011
Visit site
GSM Dev Edition was $649 when it was released. The carrier editions were either that or $599 from what I remember. Then there a bunch of huge discounts that brought us to where we are today.

armon_p

May 1, 2011
Visit site
The X is currently free on ATT with a 2 year contract which tells me the next iteration is coming very soon. I think i'm going to pick one up now then when the price drops on the next (Black Friday maybe), I'll upgrade.

oldDummy

Dec 10, 2013
Visit site
Think the Moto X [64Gb] is a steal at $401 out the door.
Believe refinements have been made to hardware/ROM, they run 4.4.3.
same as my current [32Gb] but there are subtle differences.
Appears you use items to their limits, (I like that).
Don't believe money is the driving factor in your decision.
My recommendation is to buy the current 64Gb models.
If you have buyers remorse when the X + 1 comes out, buy that.
Good Luck.