Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 34
Like Tree5Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

    Default upgrade to X or wait for X+1

    Coming from the older ages of a galaxy nexus on verizon, it's about time to look to greener pastures in the cell phone market. Milked this thing out long enough, but it's certainly past its prime.
    Have kept my eye on the nexus 6 news and the hopeful launch in a few months, but all the data points to that phone being the massive 5.9" display. For a rather low key user of a smartphone, that is a bit overkill for me so I'm trying to look into other models. On various forums including this one I have come across posts recommending the Moto X for those also looking to upgrade devices, but with the news of an X+1 model coming out, what is the recommendation from people? Buy an X model now or is there enough change speculated that holding off to see the X+1 would be worth while?

    Thanks!
  2. #2  

    Default Re: upgrade to X or wait for X+1

    Quote Originally Posted by militarymedic23 View Post
    Coming from the older ages of a galaxy nexus on verizon, it's about time to look to greener pastures in the cell phone market. Milked this thing out long enough, but it's certainly past its prime.
    Have kept my eye on the nexus 6 news and the hopeful launch in a few months, but all the data points to that phone being the massive 5.9" display. For a rather low key user of a smartphone, that is a bit overkill for me so I'm trying to look into other models. On various forums including this one I have come across posts recommending the Moto X for those also looking to upgrade devices, but with the news of an X+1 model coming out, what is the recommendation from people? Buy an X model now or is there enough change speculated that holding off to see the X+1 would be worth while?

    Thanks!
    If you can hold out for a few weeks I would do that. Chances are we will find out what the X+1 is within that time frame.
    jephanie likes this.
  3. #3  
    cjohn4043's Avatar

    Posts
    84 Posts
    Global Posts
    90 Global Posts

    Default Re: upgrade to X or wait for X+1

    I have a feeling we will hear something about the X+1 and Moto 360 later this week or sometime next week. Just my guess.
  4. #4  

    Default Re: upgrade to X or wait for X+1

    Quote Originally Posted by militarymedic23 View Post
    Coming from the older ages of a galaxy nexus on verizon, it's about time to look to greener pastures in the cell phone market. Milked this thing out long enough, but it's certainly past its prime.
    Have kept my eye on the nexus 6 news and the hopeful launch in a few months, but all the data points to that phone being the massive 5.9" display. For a rather low key user of a smartphone, that is a bit overkill for me so I'm trying to look into other models. On various forums including this one I have come across posts recommending the Moto X for those also looking to upgrade devices, but with the news of an X+1 model coming out, what is the recommendation from people? Buy an X model now or is there enough change speculated that holding off to see the X+1 would be worth while?

    Thanks!
    I think it depends on what you want. If you want to stay with a smaller phone, you might be better buying the X now. If you want an inexpensive but quality phone, then the X is currently a great deal, starting at $299 on Motomaker. If you want a larger screen and/or a faster processor then you are better to wait. It really all depends on what is important to you in a phone.
  5. #5  

    Default Re: upgrade to X or wait for X+1

    I would hold out a little while and wait. I feel like Motorola has something big
  6. #6  

    Default

    I bet by mid August we'll have enough leaks or a announcement date to help anyone on the fence. However keep in mind the x+1 probably won't launch at $299...so if you're on a fixed budget regardless (and you don't want a used x on swappa) you might as well buy now.

    I'm going to pull a number out of thin and and guess $499 for 16gb with much less frequent discounts in the coming months than hit the Moto X.
  7. #7  

    Default Re: upgrade to X or wait for X+1

    Quote Originally Posted by Clocks View Post
    I bet by mid August we'll have enough leaks or a announcement date to help anyone on the fence. However keep in mind the x+1 probably won't launch at $299...so if you're on a fixed budget regardless (and you don't want a used x on swappa) you might as well buy now.

    I'm going to pull a number out of thin and and guess $499 for 16gb with much less frequent discounts in the coming months than hit the Moto X.
    I worry the X+1 will be over $600 when it comes out, like the X was, and then they will only lower the price based on sales. Of course, this will depend on the specs but I definitely see it being over $600 ($200 on contract) if it comes with a Snapdragon 80x processor, 1080p screen, etc.
  8. #8  

    Default Re: upgrade to X or wait for X+1

    Quote Originally Posted by mogelijk View Post
    I worry the X+1 will be over $600 when it comes out, like the X was, and then they will only lower the price based on sales. Of course, this will depend on the specs but I definitely see it being over $600 ($200 on contract) if it comes with a Snapdragon 80x processor, 1080p screen, etc.
    Yep. The MSRP on the X was $499 when it was introduced.
  9. #9  

    Default Re: upgrade to X or wait for X+1

    Quote Originally Posted by PapaGary View Post
    Yep. The MSRP on the X was $499 when it was introduced.
    I don't recall the unlocked price when it was released, merely that it was $199 on contract and Motomaker only worked for the AT&T versions.
  10. #10  

    Default Re: upgrade to X or wait for X+1

    I would get the X. The new one won't be discounted. I got the GSM developers version for $324. Can't do better for a great phone.

    Sent from my XT1053 using Tapatalk
  11. #11  

    Default Re: upgrade to X or wait for X+1

    The X+1 won't be as cheap as the current Moto X.
  12. #12  

    Default Re: upgrade to X or wait for X+1

    If you're someone who isn't spec-driven I'd go with the X. If you can wait a couple weeks wait and see what the X+1 is like but, as others have said, it will certainly cost a chunk at first. The X will still be available in a couple weeks and it'll still be a great phone.
  13. #13  

    Default Re: upgrade to X or wait for X+1

    I agee with what everyone else has said .The Moto X+1 will cost more. The Moto X and is still a great little phone. I guess it all depends on your budget.
  14. #14  

    Default Re: upgrade to X or wait for X+1

    WAIT!
  15. #15  

    Default Re: upgrade to X or wait for X+1

    Am currently facing the same dilemma. Think I'm going to wait it out. Presumably Moto isn't going to completely discontinue the predecessor when the new one comes out as Google does with the Nexus. So if the X2 is too expensive or whatever the X will still be there.

    I just hope the nanosim doesn't cause any problems. Anyone know if it's super easy to keep the same prepaid plan with a different sim? Never had to do it so I have this weird fear that T-Mobile is gonna give me grief about it.
    PeninaD likes this.
  16. #16  

    Default Re: upgrade to X or wait for X+1

    Quote Originally Posted by BuffOrange View Post
    Am currently facing the same dilemma. Think I'm going to wait it out. Presumably Moto isn't going to completely discontinue the predecessor when the new one comes out as Google does with the Nexus. So if the X2 is too expensive or whatever the X will still be there.

    I just hope the nanosim doesn't cause any problems. Anyone know if it's super easy to keep the same prepaid plan with a different sim? Never had to do it so I have this weird fear that T-Mobile is gonna give me grief about it.
    I'm not sure what to think. The recent sales on the Moto X have stated "while supplies last"; which at least sounds like they are trying to sell out of the phone. Of course, it is possible they are trying to sell out of many of the colors on Motomaker so they can switch Motomaker over for the X+1 and that the Moto X will only be available in basic colors (like black and white) after the X+1 is released.
  17. #17  

    Default Re: upgrade to X or wait for X+1

    Here is something to think about:

    -When I bought my XT1053 16GB Moto X on Cyber Monday it was $349,00 or $150 off the MSR of $499.00

    -The 64GB XT1053 is now on sale for $374.99

    -The next generation of Moto X will "probably" list for at least $499.00 for a 16GB unit

    I know what I'd do.
  18. #18  
    moelsen's Avatar

    Posts
    54 Posts
    Global Posts
    55 Global Posts

    Default Re: upgrade to X or wait for X+1

    GSM Dev Edition was $649 when it was released. The carrier editions were either that or $599 from what I remember. Then there a bunch of huge discounts that brought us to where we are today.
  19. #19  
    armon_p's Avatar

    Posts
    5 Posts
    Global Posts
    21 Global Posts

    Default Re: upgrade to X or wait for X+1

    The X is currently free on ATT with a 2 year contract which tells me the next iteration is coming very soon. I think i'm going to pick one up now then when the price drops on the next (Black Friday maybe), I'll upgrade.
  20. #20  

    Default Re: upgrade to X or wait for X+1

    Think the Moto X [64Gb] is a steal at $401 out the door.
    Believe refinements have been made to hardware/ROM, they run 4.4.3.
    same as my current [32Gb] but there are subtle differences.
    Appears you use items to their limits, (I like that).
    Don't believe money is the driving factor in your decision.
    My recommendation is to buy the current 64Gb models.
    If you have buyers remorse when the X + 1 comes out, buy that.
    Good Luck.
    .
  21. #21  

    Default Re: upgrade to X or wait for X+1

    Quote Originally Posted by oldDummy View Post
    Think the Moto X [64Gb] is a steal at $401 out the door.
    Believe refinements have been made to hardware/ROM, they run 4.4.3.
    same as my current [32Gb] but there are subtle differences.
    Appears you use items to their limits, (I like that).
    Don't believe money is the driving factor in your decision.
    My recommendation is to buy the current 64Gb models.
    If you have buyers remorse when the X + 1 comes out, buy that.
    Good Luck.
    .
    They run 4.4.4.

    And I'd still buy a Moto X today (8/13) if I needed to buy a phone today.

    Posted via Android Central App (Moto X)
    dcastillo and benhaube like this.
  22. #22  

    Default Re: upgrade to X or wait for X+1

    Quote Originally Posted by Ry View Post
    And I'd still buy a Moto X today (8/13) if I needed to buy a phone today.
    This.
  23. #23  
    JulesJam's Avatar
    Banned

    Posts
    204 Posts
    Global Posts
    221 Global Posts

    Default Re: upgrade to X or wait for X+1

    Quote Originally Posted by militarymedic23 View Post
    On various forums including this one I have come across posts recommending the Moto X for those also looking to upgrade devices, but with the news of an X+1 model coming out, what is the recommendation from people? Buy an X model now or is there enough change speculated that holding off to see the X+1 would be worth while?
    The Moto X+1 is set to be released 9/25/14. I would wait.
  24. #24  

    Default Re: upgrade to X or wait for X+1

    Quote Originally Posted by Ry View Post
    They run 4.4.4.

    And I'd still buy a Moto X today (8/13) if I needed to buy a phone today.

    Posted via Android Central App (Moto X)
    Ahh..Verizon.
    Unlocked is 4.4.3
  25. #25  

    Default Re: upgrade to X or wait for X+1

    I guess it comes down to price vs having the latest and greatest. Also, if you just can't hold out another month.

    I just got a lot more excited about the Moto X+1 thanks to the photo comparison leak on phandroid.com. The picture shows that there's only a modest increase in height/width vs the Moto X. That was my biggest concern. If the camera turns out to be appreciably better than the X, I could see myself upgrading sooner than later (also the rumored 2900mah battery would be awesome!)

    Link:
    http://phandroid.com/2014/08/15/moto...n-with-moto-x/

    Sent from my Moto X
    PeninaD likes this.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 13
    Last Post: 09-03-2016, 01:40 PM
  2. Security Reports sent to Samsung
    By jmagid51 in forum Samsung Galaxy S5
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 08-08-2014, 12:45 AM
  3. Had to switch back to iPhone :(
    By toilet-handle in forum Google Nexus 5
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 08-06-2014, 05:55 PM
  4. Heading to the UK in a few days
    By aflacks in forum Ask a Question
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 08-05-2014, 10:48 PM
  5. Looking for this calendar widget....Help!
    By thomasmayne in forum Ask a Question
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 08-05-2014, 08:34 PM

Posting Permissions