Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By alphabets
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Exclamation Google Voice Voicemail Help

Sorry if this is posted int he incorrect forum, but it will collect dust if I post it in the apps forum and I need help asap.

All of the sudden my and I are both having issues receiving voicemails. They come through extremely delayed. sometimes not until the next day, or for some strange reason they come through after receiving a text. I only use GV for voicemail. I have tried deleting the app data and such..but the smoking gun is when my wife's phone starting doing it as well. Seems like a Google issue.

Anyone else having this issue as well? I'm going to have to revert to Verizons email if I don't get this fixed rather quickly.

Thanks for any help!

Default Re: Google Voice Help

I've experienced much of that same behavior. Old voice mail finally showing up when I receive a text has happened a few times. However, slow-to-arrive texts has been my biggest problem. I stopped using it as my primary texting number... Pretty much I use it with family when messages aren't time critical.

Sent from my Moto X
    Thanked by:
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Yep, I dont even have a google number. I dont use GV for voice calls or texting. I really just use it for the visual voicemail. I just like the ability to go into the app and pick & choose which voicemail I want to listen to.
    dmark44 likes this.

I didn't get several voicemails recently. I had to manually refresh to get them.

I've noticed this recently as well. I am not sure if receiving a text message triggers the voicemail to show up, but for the last few weeks I've noticed that I'm getting a voicemail notification 12-24 hours after someone leaves me a voicemail. I thought it was because I use Juice Defender, which disables connectivity when the screen is off, but I left it disabled for a few days and the voicemails were still delayed.

Sometimes, even going into the app and pressing the "sync" icon doesn't bring them up immediately. Have to force close the app or reboot, and then press sync, and then usually they appear. Luckily, I don't get many voicemails to my personal cell and they are never important.
    Current Device: Moto X VZW
    Previous: Galaxy Nexus, HTC Thunderbolt, Motorola Droid
    Before Android: Palm Pre, Blackberry Curve, Blackberry Pearl, iPhone (Original), Sidekick XL

Default Re: Google Voice Voicemail Help

If all you're using GV for is visual voice mail you might consider one of the other services that offer free vvm.

I've used Phone Fusion for years with zero complaints. Messages come thru immediately.
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...cemailplus.and

Others have good things to say about YouMail.
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...il.android.vvm
    Thanked by:
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

Quote Originally Posted by JudH View Post
    If all you're using GV for is visual voice mail you might consider one of the other services that offer free vvm.

I've used Phone Fusion for years with zero complaints. Messages come thru immediately.
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...cemailplus.and

Others have good things to say about YouMail.
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...il.android.vvm
    I'm assuming you prefer Phone Fusion to GV since that is what you use...but can you elaborate as to why you prefer it to GV? Obviously other than when GV is not working properly and delaying vm's.

Thanks!
    Thanked by:

Quote Originally Posted by alphabets View Post
    I'm assuming you prefer Phone Fusion to GV since that is what you use...but can you elaborate as to why you prefer it to GV?
    One big plus for PF is support for incoming faxes, something GV still hasn't done despite lots of requests. With the free service you don't get a dedicated phone number so you have to know the fax is coming and let the cell phone forward. You can get a 2nd number for a small fee but I never did.

I use GV in reverse, I.e. the cell phone forwards unreachable to GV with busy and no answer forwarding to PF. That way I can turn off the phone and GV will forward calls to the house or GrooveIP (still working) but 2nd callers will get PF voice mail instead of call waiting which I hate.

I've never used GV as a one-number service the way it's intended. Since ATT doesn't directly support GV there's no automatic porting of the cell number--you either have to give out your GV number or port it to GV and get a new cell number. But then MMS still has to be handled by the phone so things get messy.

PF's app is very nice and their widget(s) is better than GV's. It uses real PUSH and messages are downloaded immediately for all practical purposes. The old keep-it-simple is good if all you need is visual voice mail. (The PF people do have a full one-number product just not free.)
    Thanked by:
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  

Well, I stuck with GV bc it started working again, but, now it's doing the same thing. I don't get notified that someone left a voicemail until a text message comes through, and the GV notification piggy-backs on that. It's as if the GV notification needs a push and another message coming through gives it that push. I don't use GV for anything other than voicemail, I don't use it as a text messaging app. The only reason I even know I have a voicemail sometimes is through chrome, which notifies me. I have to text myself a test text after a missed call just to see if that person left a voicemail...if they did, my text text will push it through to notify me.

I think I'm done with GV. I can't miss voicemails.

GV is using Google sync services for push so make sure sync is on for the account. Some power save apps turn it off. Also there is a background data option in GV that has to be on--there are a couple more notification options there in settings also. Better double check something didn't get changed.
  11. Thread Author  Thread Author    #11  

Thanks for the advice, I did check that everything was enabled and that the settings were correct. They were. I have been using GV for years and don't ever touch the settings. It's a weird bug, but a bad one as well.

In the meantime until you find the issue or culprit to your issue, have you thought about also having GV email when you have a VM, at least you will know one way or another of a message left ??