Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Evilnut
  • 1 Post By ansextra
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default hangouts

hi, i want to cancel the text messaging on my verizon plan and only use hangouts. how do i make sure that the messages coming in will not be charged to my account? thanks

Default Re: hangouts

I've got to believe that if you receive text messages without a text plan you will be charged for them on an individual basis. Maybe there's a way to block all text messages from coming to your phone. Have you tried asking Verizon?
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

im trying to use hangouts for texts and not being charge for them. any way to do so?

Global Posts
    525 Global Posts
    Carrier
    Stock

From what I understand, when you send a text message through hangouts, it sends it as a text thus creating a charge. Now you can also just send a hangout, which uses your Google account like iMessage uses your Apple ID. There is no way to send a text with hangouts and it being free. However there are apps that let you do so.

You cannot use hangouts to send a free text but you can use google voice from/to your google voice number
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

Quote Originally Posted by Clocks View Post
    You cannot use hangouts to send a free text but you can use google voice from/to your google voice number
    can i use my verizon cell number with google voice for texting?

Yes

Global Posts
    745 Global Posts
    Carrier
    Stock

Hangouts allows you to block individual numbers from texting you. I know it might take a while, but you could go through your contacts and block every number that way.

Posted via a beautiful Ebony backed Moto X on Verizon or the amazing Nexus 10 using the Android Central App

Global Posts
    745 Global Posts
    Carrier
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by ericizzy1 View Post
    can i use my verizon cell number with google voice for texting?
    Yes you can, but Google Voice does not support MMS so you can not send pictures or multimedia messages

Posted via a beautiful Ebony backed Moto X on Verizon or the amazing Nexus 10 using the Android Central App
    ansextra likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Evilnut View Post
    Yes you can, but Google Voice does not support MMS so you can not send pictures or multimedia messages

I use Google Voice for voice mail and texting. My Google Voice app only receives texts to/from my Google Voice phone number. How do you get it to use your Verizon cell number and have the texts still be free?

Sent from my Moto X

Google Voice texts need to go to your Google Voice phone number. They can't go to your Verizon number.
    dmark44 likes this.