Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default 4.4.4 Charging/Power Off Issue

Had a weird problem last night when I tried to turn my phone off while on the charger. It kept turning back on. If I unplugged the charger I could turn it off but as soon as it's plugged back in it turns on! I don't normally turn my phone off very often but I don't remember this happening before the 4.4.4 update. Any one else see this issue? Is there a new menu setting for it? I looked but couldn't find anything. I even tried it with a different charger and cord.

Global Posts
    8,893 Global Posts
    ROM
    Slim Kat 4.4.4

Default Re: 4.4.4 Charging/Power Off Issue

Is it completely turning on? Or is it just showing a white screen with your battery percentage?
    "We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology." - Carl Sagan

Global Posts
    3,523 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock JB 4.2

It's possible Motorola changed the behavior with v4.4.4 so that when plugged in it will always turn on. Are you sure it's all the way on?

Global Posts
    7,625 Global Posts
    ROM
    Nexus(AOKP-jb_4.2.1)

Quote Originally Posted by Wired29 View Post
    Had a weird problem last night when I tried to turn my phone off while on the charger. It kept turning back on. If I unplugged the charger I could turn it off but as soon as it's plugged back in it turns on! I don't normally turn my phone off very often but I don't remember this happening before the 4.4.4 update. Any one else see this issue? Is there a new menu setting for it? I looked but couldn't find anything. I even tried it with a different charger and cord.
    Yup , I had that happen .The time it happened with me was the first time I turned phone off after 4.4.4 update had been done.
    I even turned phone off after it booted back up.The phone was still plugged in and the phone again booted back up again.lol
    The way that fixed it for me was to follow these steps , wiping cache in the stock recovery

https://motorola-global-portal.custh...p/30,6720,8696

After wiping the cache this way. The phone charges the same way it did before the update when the phone is off.
    Thanked by 3:
    Terry_rUJ95xweksa 
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Wipe did it! Thanks for the help.

I have 4.4.4 and it wouldn't let me wipe in recovery. It just looked like it was working but after 5 minutes I had to do a forced restart. I tried several times.

I then did a factory reset and it works but it takes a lot longer than it used to (around 30 sec). Maybe its doing a better job now.

Posted via the Android Central App
    OD, DX, D3, Bionic, Nexus, RAZR Max and Nexus 7

Quote Originally Posted by myersjesse View Post
    I have 4.4.4 and it wouldn't let me wipe in recovery. It just looked like it was working but after 5 minutes I had to do a forced restart. I tried several times.

I then did a factory reset and it works but it takes a lot longer than it used to (around 30 sec). Maybe its doing a better job now.

Posted via the Android Central App
    All a factory reset does is basically tell the phone the storage is empty. It doesn't delete any files and it never has. This behaves the same way in recovery mode and in the settings menu. The only way to ensure the data is actually deleted is to first encrypt the phone, then do a factory reset. This makes the rest take much, much longer. If your phone is encrypted this may be causing your issue.

Sent from my XT1060 using AC Forums mobile app

Since the upgrade to 4.4.4 this week I have the same issue with the phone powering on when turned off and plugged in to charge. I will try wiping the cache in stock recovery as suggested and see if that helps.

Just finished wiping the cache in system recovery and it has cured the issue with the phone powering on by itself. Thanks for the link to the instructions davidnc !

A wipe also worked for me. Odd behaviour now resolved.