Speech to Text not as good as it was

jmettee

Mar 13, 2012
Visit site
This has been happening for about 2 weeks or so now (before the KK 4.4.4 update). I don't know what update may have changed S-to-T for the words, but it seems to be laggy now & also doesn't type the last word (or punctuation) until you start speaking the next sentence. It's like it's a whole 1 word behind in translation.

Anyone else noticed this or know what app update caused it. My wife said she thinks she's noticed it to, but she's on a Sammy S4. Google Text-to-Speech shows being updated back in May. Google Search shows it was recently updated (8/12), but I wouldn't think that goofed up the general Speech-to-Textn Hangouts (which was updated 8/8). Gmail is doing the same exact thing, so I don't think it's related to Hangouts. I just tested it with Gmail, every time, it lags by 1 word & doesn't show it until moving onto the next word. This makes ending a sentence difficult.

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
Have you tried clearing the cache for the text to speech app/engine on your phone? It should be in settings > apps > all.
Might be a bug with the new update, but it's worth a try to see if that works.

KWKSLVR

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
Have you changed the language pack? I know British English acts differently on mine in comparison to American English.

Posted via Android Central App

Sep 6, 2013
Visit site
I also noticed a lag in the speech to text over the last few weeks . I just did the update to 4.4.4 and the speech to text still seems to hang up on the last word or two at the end of the sentence. I had to wipe the cache to cure another problem with the phone, but that did not solve the lag in the speech to text. Not sure what else to try.

jmettee

Mar 13, 2012
Visit site
I tried wiping the app cache & it didn't help. I cleared a few other app caches also while I was there (Hangouts, Gmail, few others).

Going to wipe the handset cache now after I go find the boot button sequences.

jmettee

Mar 13, 2012
Visit site
Yeah, I had found that, but thanks. Didn't help me at all but it did take like 5 full minutes to clear the cache so hopefully it cleaned quite a bit of stuff up otherwise.

Gordon D Miller

Dec 28, 2013
Visit site
I have also been having this issue since the 4.4.4 update. Wiped app and system cache, but didn't help. For now, I have been hitting tap to pause after the dictation and it finishes the last word with punctuation.

jmettee

Mar 13, 2012
Visit site
I looked back through my apps for anything updated earlier this month. Ask I really find that I thought it could be was Google Search. I uninstalled all updates (back to stock), but this didn't fix it. I don't see anything else that was recently updated that the change would be related to (even on my wife's S4).

It was nearly perfect for me & something goofed it up. I hate this seemingly little issue so much.