Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Question Definitive answer on back feel?

I know that the woven black and a few others have a soft touch feel. Do all the other, non-soft touch back feel the same? I've handled the woven white and like how it feels. I don't really want a woven white, but if the other backs feel the same I'm happy. Moto Maker seems to have two descriptions: "soft, non-slip finish" and "smooth finish" which makes me think the any back with a smooth finish would feel the same as any other back with a smooth finish. However I've read every thread I can find on the subject and some posts have suggested that the woven white has a unique feel. I can't find a local store that still has the display of the various backs, so I'm hoping someone here has some insight.

Default Re: Definitive answer on back feel?

I have a Dev Edition which has the white woven back, while I think it is the nicest looking back, I do think that it feels too slippery in the hand.

Tapatalked from my G PAD 8.3

I have black woven, and I using my friends with a turquoise back i find it slippery as hell. He has already dropped it a few times due to that fact.

I have the dark teal, which Moto Maker describes as "soft, non slip." Not sure exactly what 'soft' is supposed to mean, but I like its feel; my finger tips drag ever so slightly as they move on it. The back has never felt slippery or slick to me.

I believe the woven white and woven black are not as slippery as the other backs. I own a woven black and have felt others in stores and mine feels 'tackier'

Sent from my XT1060

I have the navy blue back and it's the soft touch non-slip kind. Has a slight textured drag feel to it so it doesn't slip.

I have had both backs with the different descriptions. I had the dark Teal and I have the slate back now. The slate is a little more slippery compared to the Teal. The slate is missing the "non slip" from the description. It's not that I feel like I'll drop my phone, but the Teal was a little softer I would say. They both feel good, so I don't think you would regret getting either one. The black and white woven backs definitely compare to the Teal back I used to have.

Posted via Android Central App

I had the woven white first and on my first return I switched to the now discontinued "Chalk" back. In my experience the Chalk has a soft feel and the woven was smoother and slicker but I haven't felt anything but the wooden backs otherwise. I did the black front and chalk back for an Othello chip look.
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  

Quote Originally Posted by pdaniel219 View Post
    I have had both backs with the different descriptions. I had the dark Teal and I have the slate back now. The slate is a little more slippery compared to the Teal. The slate is missing the "non slip" from the description. It's not that I feel like I'll drop my phone, but the Teal was a little softer I would say. They both feel good, so I don't think you would regret getting either one. The black and white woven backs definitely compare to the Teal back I used to have.
    Thanks for the info. Slate is the color I'm leaning toward. I'm confused by your comment about the woven white comparing to the Teal, though. The Teal is non slip while woven white is smooth finish. Maybe this supports the "3 textures" theory. Have you actually handled a woven white phone?

Global Posts
    553 Global Posts

If I understand the original question correctly, I believe that the woven white is unique in that no others (besides wooden backed ones) have quite as smooth a finish. Even ones that do not include the soft description still dont have as smooth, or even slick, of a finish as a woven white one.

Posted via the Android Central App

Quote Originally Posted by jschu22 View Post
    If I understand the original question correctly, I believe that the woven white is unique in that no others (besides wooden backed ones) have quite as smooth a finish. Even ones that do not include the soft description still dont have as smooth, or even slick, of a finish as a woven white one.

Posted via the Android Central App
    2nd, the white phone felt different than all of them to me. Smooth in a more plastic way almost, slick. My turquoise is smooth but feels different than the white.

I've gotten used to my smooth turquoise though, when I originally switched from wonderful non-slip black to smooth turquoise my phone would literally go flying out of my hands. Now it's fine. Probably a combination of finger oils and trained grip. But were it not for my love of the color I would definitely rather a non-slip back.

Quote Originally Posted by Penn Dark View Post
    Thanks for the info. Slate is the color I'm leaning toward. I'm confused by your comment about the woven white comparing to the Teal, though. The Teal is non slip while woven white is smooth finish. Maybe this supports the "3 textures" theory. Have you actually handled a woven white phone?
    I guess I meant that the Teal felt more like the white back to me. Not necessarily the same, just more comparable. The only white I have felt is in the Verizon store though, and those are tethered to the wall with a big bolt on the back. I could be way off on that anyway. Maybe it's actually slicker. The slate is awesome. I love the feel and the color. I too was considering a black front and white back with green accents. If the price drops any more, I may have to pull the trigger on that one just to have a backup.

13. Thread Author  Thread Author    #13  

Quote Originally Posted by pdaniel219 View Post
    The slate is awesome. I love the feel and the color.
    How does the slate compare to the plastic Samsung uses?