Can't tell if text is to Group or just me!

liamfinn8888

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
Hi, just got a new Moto X, if someone replies to a group text it looks like it is just sent to me alone, no way to tell if it's to the entire group, this is, needless to say incredibly annoying and has already caused some embarrassing moments, please help!

wizzrah

Retired Ambassador
Jul 27, 2013
Visit site
Hi, just got a new Moto X, if someone replies to a group text it looks like it is just sent to me alone, no way to tell if it's to the entire group, this is, needless to say incredibly annoying and has already caused some embarrassing moments, please help!

Hello. Make sure you have data on. What messaging application are you using?

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Texts can be sent to a group in two ways - as an individual text to each member of the group, or as a single text to all members of the group. How it's sent determines how you receive it. No matter what your phone does, if I send a group text as individual texts to each member of the group, all you'll get is a text to you, nothing about the group.

(If you're comparing this to an iPhone, iPhones don't text, they iMessage. While it may look the same to you, arsenic and sugar look the same too. SMS and iMessage are totally different under the hood.)

pdaniel219

Jan 15, 2012
Visit site
Hangouts fixes that. When I first got the phone I was using the messaging app and I would have the same problem. I switched over to hangouts and they all come in on the group chat. Unless your data is off, then they will still separate.

Posted via Android Central App

liamfinn8888

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
make sure I have data on meaning not on wifi, use 4g? please explain ... I'm using the regular android text app called messaging with the green smiley face

liamfinn8888

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
hmm confusing, my previous phone, a droid razr max, would group texts differently, it was always clear what texts people were sending to the group because it was organized in one section, if someone in the group texted me individually it would come just to me, not to the group, ugh so hard to explain

liamfinn8888

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
again a comment about data on or off, what are you all referring to? being on wifi versus 4g? I tried hangouts today and it didn't fix the organization but it might have if the thing happened again ... do you recommend hangouts in general though? is it better than regular messaging?

pdaniel219

Jan 15, 2012
Visit site
I think that hangouts is good. It's pretty much a standard messaging app. Feels like it has a little more functionality than the regular messaging app. The data thing is just that, kind of a weird "thing". The actual data has to be on to receive group messages, WiFi doesn't count. I really have no idea why, I just know this happens. Hope your problem gets fixed soon.

pdaniel219

Jan 15, 2012
Visit site
hmm confusing, my previous phone, a droid razr max, would group texts differently, it was always clear what texts people were sending to the group because it was organized in one section, if someone in the group texted me individually it would come just to me, not to the group, ugh so hard to explain

And on this note, it's just like the RAZR max once it works. You will have separate message threads. The group chat will have everyone in it, and the others will be separate. What I mean is that if you don't have data on, and someone sends you a message meant for the group chat, it will show up as a single message by itself until your data is turned on and you download it, then it will jump into the group chat. Kind of a strange thing, but I rarely have my data off so it doesn't really bother me.

weksa

Jul 9, 2012
Visit site
In hangouts, go to Settings - SMS - Advanced - Group Messaging - Use MMS to send a single message when there are multiple recipients. Check the box. But part of it also depends on the person sending the texts to you and the group. If their settings for text is such that individual SMS are sent to groups, then you'll only see one text as though you're the only recipient. But if they've got this setting checked, then you'll see the entire group.

Nikki3-39

Oct 10, 2017
Visit site
im using a stardard text message app on my Lg k10 and everytime i text my X that uses as samsungJ7 his name is in blue i think he has me in a group chat that idk know about PLEASE HELP

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nanran21