Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree10Likes
  • 2 Post By SpookDroid
  • 1 Post By SpookDroid
  • 1 Post By ScottMGS
  • 1 Post By delrey1900
  • 1 Post By Postoid
  • 1 Post By weksa
  • 1 Post By jasoraso
  • 1 Post By Bill Hong
  • 1 Post By delrey1900
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    47 Global Posts

Question Am I crazy??

Replacing my HTC Rezound with a new phone finally. I can get the Moto X for .95, or the M8 or G3 for $95. The M8 & G3 are newer, have more memory, are larger and a faster processor. However, I am leaning towards the Moto x due to it's stability, signal strength, better/more reliable GPS, call quaility. Everything I have been reading points to the X as the phone for me. Am I missing somthing? Oh yes, I am on Verizon with UDP.
    Soon to be!!!

Default Re: Am I crazy??

Well, as for your question, only a certified psychiatrist should be able to answer it.

Other than that, if I understand correctly, there's a 100 bucks difference there (OK, 94.05), and you're talking about a mid-ranger VS top of the line, really. If money is a factor, I'd get the MotoX. But if you'd rather go for features, I'd take the G3. If you go for looks, take the M8. And if you go for gimmics that might actually come in handy someday, try to get an S5.

PS: Also, if you can, I'd wait a few weeks. I know I've said this before (and I'll say it again, it's just common sense!), but when the Note 4 and iPhone 6 hit the shelves, all others are cutting down their prices or at least throwing in some cool stuff with your purchase.
    Jack33 and Golfdriver97 like this.

Global Posts
    22,191 Global Posts
    ROM
    Liquidsmooth ROM

If you need a phone now, get the X.

Phone Timeline
    'If we could change ourselves, the tendencies in the world would also change.' - Mahatma Gandhi
    Community Guidelines and also here

The trick, of course, is that you can always "wait a few weeks" and have some new options. I'm not a gimmick-follower or a spec-head. I go for a useful phone that does what I need it to do. Personally, if I didn't already have a Moto X I'd get one, especially at that price.
    Thanked by:

Quote Originally Posted by ScottMGS View Post
    The trick, of course, is that you can always "wait a few weeks" and have some new options. I'm not a gimmick-follower or a spec-head. I go for a useful phone that does what I need it to do. Personally, if I didn't already have a Moto X I'd get one, especially at that price.
    Yeah, but this time it's not about just having a newer option. There are a handful of devices that can drive prices down, and the Note 4 and iPhone 6 are such devices.
    Thanked by:
    dmark44 likes this.

Not many new phones coming in under a dollar, though.
    SpookDroid likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by SpookDroid View Post
    Well, as for your question, only a certified psychiatrist should be able to answer it.

Other than that, if I understand correctly, there's a 100 bucks difference there (OK, 94.05), and you're talking about a mid-ranger VS top of the line, really. If money is a factor, I'd get the MotoX. But if you'd rather go for features, I'd take the G3. If you go for looks, take the M8. And if you go for gimmics that might actually come in handy someday, try to get an S5.

PS: Also, if you can, I'd wait a few weeks. I know I've said this before (and I'll say it again, it's just common sense!), but when the Note 4 and iPhone 6 hit the shelves, all others are cutting down their prices or at least throwing in some cool stuff with your purchase.
    If he's going to wait, the new X is being announced on the 4th.
    SpookDroid likes this.

Wouldn't be surprised if the M8 would drop to that this weekend for Labor Day. And even when the Note 4 comes out.
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottMGS View Post
    Not many new phones coming in under a dollar, though.

Global Posts
    201 Global Posts

mlg2919:
    I also had the HTC Rezound before getting the Moto X. Really liked the Rez for 2 years..camera was actually pretty good, liked the replaceable battery, but call quality was a tad muffled probably because of the 3g rural area I was in. All that changed when I got the X last Nov. Call quality as my sister says, "sounds like your on a landline", camera is better after 4.4.4 update, battery gets me through 1 1/2 days easy, phone size, screen and fit in your hand is perfect, but the real clincher was Active Display/Touchless Controls with "Ok Google".
    Go for it !
    Thanked by:
    SpookDroid likes this.

Global Posts
    3,607 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock JB 4.2

Moto X Moto X Moto X Moto X. Do it.

Global Posts
    175 Global Posts

Should also ask, what do you use your phone for? Games? Watch Videos? How important is screen size? For many of us, Moto X works nicely for one handed use.
    SpookDroid likes this.

When the LG G3 was released on Verizon a few months ago, it started with a promotional price of $99. The price went up to $199 after a week or so. It has now dropped back down to $99.

I wouldn't be surprised if the Moto X+1 started with a promotional price when released (announcement to come 9/4 and rumors are that VZW will release 9/25). Even if it doesn't, its release should coincide with the release of the new iphone (should be announce 9/9 but who know when VZW will release).

My suggestion is if you can wait one more week, or even one more month, it might be worth it. Prices will be shifting, and the X+1 might get promotional pricing to compete with the new iphone.

That being said, my daughter just started junior high, and we wanted to get her a phone. I have struggled with decision you are looking at - I was problaby going to get her an X instead of the newer phones that $99 right now - I think the X would really suit her better, and is still a great phone even compared to the newer phone. However, I ultimately convinced my wife to wait a month. I think my daughter will be getting my X and I'll get the X+1
    mlg2919 likes this.

Another user here who had a Rezound as my previous phone on Verizon. Turned out to be an easy choice getting the X, because both phones are very similar in screen size, which is what I was looking for in terms of one-handed operation. The X is definitely an upgrade in terms of call quality. I also find the battery is definitely a longer lasting one in the Motorola, even if it is not user-replaceable. You'll have to decide if you want any of the alternatives with their different UIs and ergonomics. If you wait a bit and find that they (or the X+1) are not worth the cost to you, then I think the original Moto X will still be available for awhile should you want to bite. I'm happy I made the choice I did, however, if that's any guidance, and even a year out after its introduction I find it still has great performance.
    Thanked by:
    dmark44 likes this.
  14. Thread Author  Thread Author    #14  

Global Posts
    47 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by weksa View Post
    Should also ask, what do you use your phone for? Games? Watch Videos? How important is screen size? For many of us, Moto X works nicely for one handed use.
    Do a lot of web surfing, other internet services, actual phone usage, navigation. So signal strenth and GPS, along with call quality are my big 3.
    Soon to be!!!

Quote Originally Posted by jasoraso View Post
    However, I ultimately convinced my wife to wait a month. I think my daughter will be getting my X and I'll get the X+1
    Ah! So I'm not the only one that does that.

Does UDP mean unlimited data? If you have unlimited data you might lose it if you upgrade at a subsidized price. That is, unless you plan to add a line or something. Be aware that when you upgrade or add a line for smartphone they are making you commit to data on the line for 24 months.

I also came from the Rezound to the Moto X. The similar height/width and screen size made it a natural replacement, plus the Moto X has the thinness, lighter weight and bigger battery that I always wished my Rezound had!

Sent from my Moto X

Quote Originally Posted by mlg2919 View Post
    Do a lot of web surfing, other internet services, actual phone usage, navigation. So signal strenth and GPS, along with call quality are my big 3.
    IMO the Moto X handles your big 3 requirements very well!

Good GPS performance is a big reason why I steered away from the LG G2 which had a lot of GPS complaints with the Verizon version.

Sent from my Moto X
    Thanked by 2:
    mlg2919weksa 

Regardless of the age of the moto x it is still a really great phone. I bought mine back in March and I don't regret it one bit. I love the phone. It's fast, great looking, gets REALLY fast updates. I would still recommend this phone to anyone looking to make a phone purchase.

The new Moto X is set to be announced next week, but from the pictures that have leaked so far I have to say the current Moto X is a better looking phone. However, the new version will most certainly have better specs. If you can wait a week to see what the new X will bring then I would say do so. Either one will make a great upgrade, and I wouldn't go with any other phone.

Quote Originally Posted by mlg2919 View Post
    Replacing my HTC Rezound with a new phone finally. I can get the Moto X for .95, or the M8 or G3 for $95. The M8 & G3 are newer, have more memory, are larger and a faster processor. However, I am leaning towards the Moto x due to it's stability, signal strength, better/more reliable GPS, call quaility. Everything I have been reading points to the X as the phone for me. Am I missing somthing? Oh yes, I am on Verizon with UDP.
    MOTO X better android faster/better software and just a better phone. and the gps is better on moto x.

LG G3. 5.5-inch, 1440 x 2560 (QHD).

Quote Originally Posted by Gekko View Post
    LG G3. 5.5-inch, 1440 x 2560 (QHD).
    My wife has one. The screen isn't all that imo. The only real advantage it has is the camera. She loves it and that's all that matters but the moto X is a better experience.

Posted via the Android Central App
    "Be together, not the same"

Quote Originally Posted by delrey1900 View Post
    My wife has one. The screen isn't all that imo. The only real advantage it has is the camera. She loves it and that's all that matters but the moto X is a better experience.

Posted via the Android Central App
    LG G3 display size is about 1" bigger vs. the Moto X. that's a huge difference and personally i would always regret not going bigger. the #1 thing you interact with in a smartphone is the display. just like LCD TV size - nobody ever got home looked at it honestly and wished they'd gone smaller - but they usually regret not going bigger. big display are the future. when in doubt - always go bigger.

Am I crazy??-average-smartphone-screen-size.png

Quote Originally Posted by Gekko View Post
    LG G3 display size is about 1" bigger vs. the Moto X. that's a huge difference and personally i would always regret not going bigger. the #1 thing you interact with in a smartphone is the display. just like LCD TV size - nobody ever got home looked at it honestly and wished they'd gone smaller - but they usually regret not going bigger. big display are the future. when in doubt - always go bigger.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Average-Smartphone-Screen-Size.png 
Views:	27 
Size:	19.7 KB 
ID:	134661
    Good points. However, 5.5" is a little big for my taste. It's hard to handle and use with a single hand. Yes, the screen is the only thing you interact with your phone but there's more to it than size. Like color, brightness (indoor and outdoor), responsiveness, and etc. I honestly think that my X has better response time and feels more fluid than the G3. While the G3 is a really good phone, it's a little big for my taste and the resolution is nothing to write home about for a phone. And comparing a phone screen size to a TV screen size does not make sense. You don't walk and use your TV in your hand. A TV you sit a few feet a way from it. A phone, a few inches. And you don't have to fit your TV in your pocket comfortably. Bigger isn't always better.
    Thanked by 2:
    Bill Hong likes this.