Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    376 Global Posts

Default Saying your lockscreen PIN number via Touchless Control

Has anyone been able to unlock their phone via Touchless Control? I can't get it to work.

For example: I'll say, "OK Google Now, open Spotify" and during the process, it'll prompt me to either say or type my PIN to unlock my phone. But when I say my PIN, nothing happens. Is there some setting that I have to enable?

Global Posts
    19 Global Posts

Default Re: Saying your lockscreen PIN number via Touchless Control

Ok, I have tried the same on my phone and it doesn't work well. However, all hope is not lost - just wait for Android L which has the "personal unlock" feature, which should solve your problem, and then more.

Another question is, why would you want to do that - saying your PIN is extremely bad security practice unless you need to do it due to a physical disability.

Quote Originally Posted by clankfu View Post
    Has anyone been able to unlock their phone via Touchless Control? I can't get it to work.

For example: I'll say, "OK Google Now, open Spotify" and during the process, it'll prompt me to either say or type my PIN to unlock my phone. But when I say my PIN, nothing happens. Is there some setting that I have to enable?
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Global Posts
    376 Global Posts

What do you mean, "it doesn't work well"? Does it work at all for you?

And it would come in handy when I'm in the car by myself using Touchless Control.

Global Posts
    19 Global Posts

I mean "it too doesn't work at all". When Android L comes along, you can make the phone unlock itself when it connected to your car's BT - so you won't even need to say anything.
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Global Posts
    376 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by wolfier View Post
    I mean "it too doesn't work at all". When Android L comes along, you can make the phone unlock itself when it connected to your car's BT - so you won't even need to say anything.
    That won't really help me. My car doesn't have bluetooth.

Anyways, thanks for the confirmation that it doesn't work.

Global Posts
    19 Global Posts

You can attach any old NFC tag on the dashboard, and then use an NFC device admin app to unlock your phone when NFC is attached. There are a lot of similar solutions when you search for "Tasker Recipes".

The only time I use verbal unlock is when I'm alone in the car. It worked for me this morning when I sent a text msg.

I use it when I'm alone in the car. I'd say it works about 70% of the time. Like most of the touchless commands when I'm I the car

Posted via Android Central App

I'd say it hears the PIN and unlocks 95% of the time. It has always worked since day 1. Maybe set a different PIN and try again?
  10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #10  

Global Posts
    376 Global Posts

Weird. I wonder why it's not working for me. I have it enabled in the Touchless Control settings.

You can already use trusted Bluetooth and also at home to keep the phone unlocked in the car and at home---but the phone under trusted Bluetooth will still ask for a pin to complete a task like sms. So you don't have to wait for Android L.

Sadly the voice pin is not so good and Skip or skip dots are a joke...as they are not practical. I really wish Moto would user test more robustly as it makes them look stupid to offer solutions that don't get the job done.....no wonder they are giving Skip away! No informed consumer would buy them.