Ok Google hotword detection

joeynumbers

Oct 23, 2011
Visit site
Using the google now launcher should allow us to say "ok google" on any screen and it should be detected. This seems to not work on 2013 Moto X with KitKat. I'm using the Republic Wireless version.

You can still use the Motorola solution, "touchless controls" but not the google solution. This is a bit annoying as the google solution is faster and doesn't look as dated. Hopefully Motorola updates us to the new 2014 version of touchless controls soon.

Posted via the Android Central App

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Have you gone to the Google Now settings, selected Voice>"Ok Google" Detection, and made sure "From any screen" is checked on?

titetanium

Oct 8, 2013
Visit site
The "OK google" hotword is built in the search app/widget, not the launcher, AFAIK. Not sure why there are redundant tasks among apps; i.e. search, now launcher, and touchless controls... That said, touchless controls does need the search app for some of the things it does.

Simon Dennis

Oct 3, 2014
Visit site
I have Note 3. Never worked. Can't get the set up to recognise my voice via Google Now launcher. Can't find a solution online. What's worse it does not seem to be an issue for others. Tested microphone which works fine. Frustrating

weksa

Jul 9, 2012
Visit site
Like Rocketsaucev2 said, the hotword detection is disabled on Moto X.
37ac3ea1b9fe0c72af3f9fb019798464.jpg

Last edited:

hisense

Aug 13, 2014
Visit site
It does work. You can train the phone to respond to OK Google. It also responds to the Easter egg OK Jarvis. At least this is the case for me on KitKat 4.4.4. But I am talking about When the phone is sitting idle and I want it to do something.... I say OK Google or OK Jarvis and then it wakes up etc....

HEAHA

Banned
Apr 8, 2014
Visit site
Yup, that it is :(
And yet on my came out at the same time, Droid Maxx, Which is Virtually identical in every respect. It works fine. (Both my X and my Maxx have identical software versions and apps on them.)
The Goole Now Hotword detection works so much better than the parlor trick touchless controls it is an embarrassment.
Using both side by side, my moto x with Touchless and my Droid maxx with Hotword. The Maxx works 95%+ of the time regardless of external noise, The X fails almost 70% of the time!

Not to mention, the touchless Controls are just a "middle man" that get in the way and slow it down to a crawl.

Motorola's response as to why it works on the Maxx and not the X - "Google disabled it, they had nothing to do with it" !

joeynumbers

Oct 23, 2011
Visit site
I agree. The google version is much faster and reliable than the moto version. But moto's touchless controls seems to have a few more commands that work, for example "what's up" reads our notifications.

Posted via the Android Central App

klobkelosh

Aug 11, 2011
Visit site
If you are rooted, you can use the "unleash the Google"app to enable hotword detection on x. It breaks touchless controls and Moto assist, however.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol