I can't hear anything when making a phone call, but other person can hear me

pjr11

Oct 17, 2014
Visit site
This just started yesterday. When I dial a number, I cannot hear a ringing sound. Then when the phone call connects, I cannot hear the person on the other line. But, that person can hear me.

I tried connecting my earbuds, and the normal calling audio comes through fine with the earbuds. I took the earbuds out and played a youtube vidoe just to check the audio and the sound came through just fine. It seems as though the issue is with phone calls.

Any thoughts? Thanks

delrey1900

Mar 22, 2010
Visit site
Welcome to the forums. Does this only happen to you phone? Who is your carrier? Not sure what it could be. I'll do some digging.

pjr11

Oct 17, 2014
Visit site
thank you. Yes, it is just my phone. I have been experimenting today between my cell phone with the problem and my work cell phone. And I discovered it yesterday with my phone and a friend's phone. I have AT&T.

delrey1900

Mar 22, 2010
Visit site
Ok, this is what I found. Try disabling 'voice privacy'. If you have a case, make sure the case has the mic clear. And while you're at it, check to see that the mic is clear of debris. I've also read that you can try to use the phone in safe mode. That will tell you if you have something installed that has the problem. And lastly, if you are running on ART, switch back to Dalvik. This is what I could find. Most of this was to fix an early bug on voice calls but the issue was the other way around, the person you called couldn't hear you but you can hear them. Hope this helps.

pjr11

Oct 17, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for the suggestions. I played around with the settings in my phone app and it is now working! But I don't know what the fix was. I did use the safe mode, but couldn't identify a problematic app. Then I switched from Dalvik to ART and then back to Dalivik. All the sudden it is working. Thanks for your help!

blazeline

Dec 25, 2014
Visit site
I had the same problem. I rebooted the phone into safe mode as suggested (you have to hold the power off menu item) and the phone sound worked. I then rebooted into normal mode and the phone sound still worked. A normal reboot would probably have fixed it.

tnt118

Nov 24, 2010
Visit site
I get this problem about 30% of the time when I call my father's landline (no reason to think it is landline specific but that is, so far, the only time it has happened to me). We kind of laugh about it now, but it's a problem that has been going on for ages. I've been meaning to do a factory reset, but I've been holding out for a 5.0 update so I don't have to factory reset twice.

rkpuvvada

Jan 15, 2015
Visit site
hi,

Yesterday night I have received my new one plus one phone and I facing the similar issue after switching on the phone.

Can you please help with the steps which resolved the issue in your case which will help me to solve the problem in my phone ?

Thanks in advance.

cole47

Jan 18, 2015
Visit site
I have an iPhone 5. I can make and receive calls but I can't hear the person on the other end. They hear me fine. I can hear them on speaker or using headphones. I found a post saying the phone gets stuck in the wrong mode and try plugging and unplugging ear buds several times. This worked once and it went back to working. The problem started again the next day and the plug/unplug solution is not working.

I don't know how to change the voice privacy settings or boot it up in safe mode. I've only had this phone a few months. Can I get a detail on how to check these settings?

Thank you in advance for any help!

Plastra

Nov 6, 2015
Visit site
Most likely your problem started after listening to music with your headset. At least that's how my problem started. Your phone thinks that u still have the headset plug and will not release back to the speaker. If you turn your speaker on you should hear the ring. The temporary fix which someone else posted is to download "SoundAbout' APP which will allow you to reset back to the speaker as default.

finfan313

Jul 25, 2016
Visit site
I started having the same trouble a couple of weeks ago. At first I was not sure it was my phone. Then I realized it was. I have not plugged in any buds. I did not have the problem until after several updates. There are also other errors that are now happening. Really ticks me off because this phone is not that old and they cost sooooooo much. Any thoughts folks? Pamela

music freak2

Jan 13, 2017
Visit site
Hi.I have just got my samsung galaxy s7 edge which my brother bought in England.Now i live in Albania.Here is the problem,all the function which includes using the sim card work like mobile internet,messages but when it comes to phone calls i call a number,they answer but both sides cant hear a thing.Also online calls like What's up work.Only my voice phone calls dont.What should i do?

trishboo88

Jan 27, 2017
Visit site
i have cricket and i can't hear the other person talking when they call but i got to put it on speaker phone i can hear them how do i fix this don't know how to put it on safemode:'(

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sem173