Moto X, the Android phone that drove me to the iPhone.

Murphy5111

Nov 19, 2010
Visit site
I've been a loyal android user for a long time. When I was looking to upgrade from my galaxy s3 I decided on the moto x based partly on all the posts of how great the battery life was. Fast forward a year later and I'm sitting in an airport waiting for a flight watching some TV shows and playing candy crush. I drained the battery before I even got on the flight (I barely eeked out 2.5 hours of screen time). I had had it but the new moto x was coming and had to have a much bigger battery so I patiently waited. I just wanted to use my phone without having to ration my usage.

Then the new moto x comes out with a battery that is barely any bigger. So I guess technically the new moto x drove me to the iPhone and I made the jump to the iPhone 6. Today I used my phone and got 6 hours and 47 minutes of screen on time and may hit 7 before it dies. My phone doesn't overheat anymore when I play games, watch videos or use Google maps in my car.

Maybe some day I'll be back but for now I'm just happy that my phone lasts past lunch if I really want to use it.

Posted via Android Central App

shetach

Mar 23, 2014
Visit site
Can't disagree with your sentiments. based on your usage and needs.
But I will say this:
I'm on a 10 phone family plan, with 9 iphones. I'm the lone holdout. I had a blackberry, and finally made the switch for the moto x. Every time a sibling, or sibling in law sees my moto x in action, they drool. The sheer capabilities the phone has blows people away. If productivity is not your thing, no problem. If you wanna drone on and watch videos your whole life, go ahead and iPhone away. The battery is stronger, no doubt. But nothing, and i mean nothing, compares to the productivity a well-designed android has. Any working person can appreciate this.
I have my moto x for 9 months. I'm still discovering the genius in this thing.
PS. Good luck when apple pushes an OS update and your phone slows to a trickle.

oscarnyc

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
Interesting. I've never seen an iPhone with anything approaching that type of battery life. They have their strengths for sure, but battery life isn't one of them in my experience. 7 hrs on screen time is more than double the best I've ever seen on one. What were you doing on it?

Murphy5111

Nov 19, 2010
Visit site
Can't disagree with your sentiments. based on your usage and needs.
But I will say this:
I'm on a 10 phone family plan, with 9 iphones. I'm the lone holdout. I had a blackberry, and finally made the switch for the moto x. Every time a sibling, or sibling in law sees my moto x in action, they drool. The sheer capabilities the phone has blows people away. If productivity is not your thing, no problem. If you wanna drone on and watch videos your whole life, go ahead and iPhone away. The battery is stronger, no doubt. But nothing, and i mean nothing, compares to the productivity a well-designed android has. Any working person can appreciate this.
I have my moto x for 9 months. I'm still discovering the genius in this thing.
PS. Good luck when apple pushes an OS update and your phone slows to a trickle.

I really did like the moto x - my main gripes are the battery and camera. I'll have to see if the phone slows down. That's one thing that after a year I really didn't see with the moto x - slowdown was negligible. My galaxy s3 after a year was another story. At the end of a year it tool about 3-4 seconds to open a contact.

Murphy5111

Nov 19, 2010
Visit site
mostly candy crush and web browsing. Apple just tracks usage and not screen on time. I didn't use my phone at all to make calls and the only time that I used the phone with the screen off was for about 10 minutes listening to Pandora at the gym. All the other time was with the screen on.

Interesting. I've never seen an iPhone with anything approaching that type of battery life. They have their strengths for sure, but battery life isn't one of them in my experience. 7 hrs on screen time is more than double the best I've ever seen on one. What were you doing on it?

IMG_0216.jpg

FuzzieKiwi

Apr 22, 2014
Visit site
Moto X 2013 or 2014?
Tbh, it isn't the nest to compare it to an iPhone that costs nearly double the price.

Posted via the Android Central App

dmark44

Mar 2, 2012
Visit site
I think of my Moto X as the phone that keeps me from switching to the iPhone 6!

That said, I do wish I got a little more battery life out of it, but I do have apps and settings that are pretty demanding.

Sent from my Moto X

sydneycooper1979

Moderator Sergeant at Arms
Jan 17, 2012
Visit site
The time you see on the iphone is the amount of time the phone has been in use in the last 24 hours. That is not just screen on time, it is total usage.

Murphy5111

Nov 19, 2010
Visit site
The time you see on the iphone is the amount of time the phone has been in use in the last 24 hours. That is not just screen on time, it is total usage.
I rarely ever use my phone for anything with the screen off (music, calls, etc.). I only used it with screen off 10 minutes that day I posted the usage.

carlMode

Nov 19, 2014
Visit site
You know the good thing about having a shorter battery life is that you can come back to Real life and start focusing there. Well at least that's why I like shorter battery life so I can optimize my time on my phone and focus on other stuff. True story

4runnerbrett

Jan 30, 2014
Visit site
Ya 7 hours of usage doesnt say anything though. And i find it hard to believe you used the phone for 7 straight hours with screen only being off 10 minutes.

And the iphone 6 battery is smaller then the moto x battery unless you got the 6+.

But i do agree the moto x battery was not that great for me either.

b_slow1

Nov 12, 2013
Visit site
Ya 7 hours of usage doesnt say anything though. And i find it hard to believe you used the phone for 7 straight hours with screen only being off 10 minutes.

And the iphone 6 battery is smaller then the moto x battery unless you got the 6+.

But i do agree the moto x battery was not that great for me either.

With these phones, it has never been about the SIZE of the battery.... it's about how efficiently the battery is used. I don't think anyone can argue against the fact that Apple's integration of hardware and software is highly optimized and gets the most performance out of "less" when compared to any Android phone.

You know the good thing about having a shorter battery life is that you can come back to Real life and start focusing there. Well at least that's why I like shorter battery life so I can optimize my time on my phone and focus on other stuff. True story

This is a joke, right? We can't really be touting shorter battery life as a "feature", can we?

oscarnyc

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
With these phones, it has never been about the SIZE of the battery.... it's about how efficiently the battery is used. I don't think anyone can argue against the fact that Apple's integration of hardware and software is highly optimized and gets the most performance out of "less" when compared to any Android

I think that iPhones are optimized in the sense that they effectively shut down background apps and processes. This is why they are smooth with just 1gb of memory whereas androids need 2 or 3 (depending on the skin). This is also why they do so well on run down tests when just one app is used. However, in my experience, when one uses the phone the way I do, constantly switching between apps, the battery life is mediocre.
That said, my biggest gripe with the X is its battery life, and why I'm so disappointed that Motorola did not address this with a bigger battery on the '14 version.

Murphy5111

Nov 19, 2010
Visit site
I think that iPhones are optimized in the sense that they effectively shut down background apps and processes. This is why they are smooth with just 1gb of memory whereas androids need 2 or 3 (depending on the skin). This is also why they do so well on run down tests when just one app is used. However, in my experience, when one uses the phone the way I do, constantly switching between apps, the battery life is mediocre.
That said, my biggest gripe with the X is its battery life, and why I'm so disappointed that Motorola did not address this with a bigger battery on the '14 version.

I'm switching between apps with no problems. Don't get me wrong, there are a lot of things I miss about android and the iPhone is by no means perfect. I think the power optimization is really good while using apps. Apps that used to heat my battery and drain it quickly like Google maps navigation and candy crush don't do that on the iPhone. I can actually use the phone for navigation in the car and it will charge over usb. My moto x would be plugged into the lighter and would lose battery life (not to a huge extent but over a several hour trip u could go from 100% charged to 70-75%.

DC Wuff

Nov 26, 2009
Visit site
I've been a loyal android user for a long time. When I was looking to upgrade from my galaxy s3 I decided on the moto x based partly on all the posts of how great the battery life was. Fast forward a year later and I'm sitting in an airport waiting for a flight watching some TV shows and playing candy crush. I drained the battery before I even got on the flight (I barely eeked out 2.5 hours of screen time). I had had it but the new moto x was coming and had to have a much bigger battery so I patiently waited. I just wanted to use my phone without having to ration my usage.

Then the new moto x comes out with a battery that is barely any bigger. So I guess technically the new moto x drove me to the iPhone and I made the jump to the iPhone 6. Today I used my phone and got 6 hours and 47 minutes of screen on time and may hit 7 before it dies. My phone doesn't overheat anymore when I play games, watch videos or use Google maps in my car.

Maybe some day I'll be back but for now I'm just happy that my phone lasts past lunch if I really want to use it.

So, my question is: what heavy phone user goes on a flight without the proper gear? You apparently didn't bring a charger, external battery pack, or anything, and then you sat at the gate waiting for your flight, watching TV shows and playing Candy Crush, and wonder why you killed your battery? And this wasn't when you first got the Moto X, it was after you had had it for a year. Sounds like a lack of preparation on your part. Even if I had a Droid Turbo, I'd have all of those accessories with me and I'd be certain that I did whatever I needed to ensure I had the capability to use my phone throughout the flight and have plenty of charge after reaching my destination.

I'm not hating on your choice to move to the iPhone, or questioning your chosen use cases, or your right to have whatever opinion you want. I just find it odd that you would seemingly willfully do everything possible to put yourself in a bind -- again, after having the phone for a year -- and then come and complain about it on a message board and say that the Moto X 2013's battery life is what "drove" you off of your preferred mobile phone platform.

For the record, I was satisfied, but not blown away by the battery life on my 2013 Moto X (except on 4.4.2 -- battery life was substandard on that release). However, battery life on my 2014 Moto X Pure Edition running Lollipop is unbelievable. I can easily get through the day with 3-4 hours of screen on time, and the standby time is just ridiculous (well over 24 hours with light to moderate use) -- all of this with all radios enabled, location at high accuracy, and everything set to sync/update at the maximum frequency. Plus, I have Turbo Chargers at home and the office for a quick top-off if needed, and a Power Pack Micro in case I'm going to be in a situation where I won't be near an outlet for a very, very long time and will need to use the phone a lot. Yes, those were optional purchases that I chose to make because I knew my use cases and wanted to be prepared for the things that life typically throws at me. Given that I believe the 2014 Moto X is the best damn phone available, and given the comparative price point, I was more than happy to purchase those extra accessories, not to mention my 16,800 mAh Gorilla Gadgets battery for extreme cases. I chose to do what was necessary to make my preferred phone and platform work for me.

Murphy5111

Nov 19, 2010
Visit site
So, my question is: what heavy phone user goes on a flight without the proper gear? You apparently didn't bring a charger, external battery pack, or anything, and then you sat at the gate waiting for your flight, watching TV shows and playing Candy Crush, and wonder why you killed your battery? And this wasn't when you first got the Moto X, it was after you had had it for a year. Sounds like a lack of preparation on your part. Even if I had a Droid Turbo, I'd have all of those accessories with me and I'd be certain that I did whatever I needed to ensure I had the capability to use my phone throughout the flight and have plenty of charge after reaching my destination.

I'm not hating on your choice to move to the iPhone, or questioning your chosen use cases, or your right to have whatever opinion you want. I just find it odd that you would seemingly willfully do everything possible to put yourself in a bind -- again, after having the phone for a year -- and then come and complain about it on a message board and say that the Moto X 2013's battery life is what "drove" you off of your preferred mobile phone platform.

For the record, I was satisfied, but not blown away by the battery life on my 2013 Moto X (except on 4.4.2 -- battery life was substandard on that release). However, battery life on my 2014 Moto X Pure Edition running Lollipop is unbelievable. I can easily get through the day with 3-4 hours of screen on time, and the standby time is just ridiculous (well over 24 hours with light to moderate use) -- all of this with all radios enabled, location at high accuracy, and everything set to sync/update at the maximum frequency. Plus, I have Turbo Chargers at home and the office for a quick top-off if needed, and a Power Pack Micro in case I'm going to be in a situation where I won't be near an outlet for a very, very long time and will need to use the phone a lot. Yes, those were optional purchases that I chose to make because I knew my use cases and wanted to be prepared for the things that life typically throws at me. Given that I believe the 2014 Moto X is the best damn phone available, and given the comparative price point, I was more than happy to purchase those extra accessories, not to mention my 16,800 mAh Gorilla Gadgets battery for extreme cases. I chose to do what was necessary to make my preferred phone and platform work for me.

I actually had a battery back up with me. That wasn't my point. A phone should last more than 2.5 hours regardless of how it's being used. It's a little crazy how people go out of their way to talk about how they tuned off half the features of their phone to eek out three hours of SOT. It's just nice not having to worry about it anymore..

GadgetGator

Jun 20, 2010
Visit site
I actually had a battery back up with me. That wasn't my point. A phone should last more than 2.5 hours regardless of how it's being used. It's a little crazy how people go out of their way to talk about how they tuned off half the features of their phone to eek out three hours of SOT. It's just nice not having to worry about it anymore..

I don't think I've EVER run down my Moto X's battery from 100% to zero in only 2.5 hours, even playing games the whole time.