What is Moto X (2013) developer's Edition?

SamCarterX302

Sep 8, 2014
Visit site
It doesn't have an unlocked boot loader...it has the ability to unlock said boot loader

It comes with a paper pamphlet that gives you an url to go to to request a pin to unlock the bootloader- and you can do do without voiding the warranty- unlike the regular X.

About the only disadvantage is that it comes in only one design- black front, woven white back, silver accents/buttons.

Posted via the Android Central App

oldDummy

Dec 10, 2013
Visit site
It only comes in one color with Developer Edition etched into the rear white shell.
XT1053 is it's designation and it shares that with the unlocked T-M edition which was available via a custom build using the Moto website.
Just ordered one on eBAY.

PapaGary

Jan 23, 2014
Visit site
Hmmm, my first XT1053, ordered on Cyber Monday, 2013, was advertised as a 16GB off contract developer's edition. I didn't know what that meant but when i got it it showed the developer options on settings. It's black on black and does not have anything engraved on the back other than the model number and "Designed and assembled in the USA". The 16GB XT1053 I got from the Ebay sale in October is exactly the same.

Also-
From the Ebay listing: "GSM Unlocked: Not compatible with Sprint or Verizon"

SamCarterX302

Sep 8, 2014
Visit site
Hmmm, my first XT1053, ordered on Cyber Monday, 2013, was advertised as a 16GB off contract developer's edition. I didn't know what that meant but when i got it it showed the developer options on settings. It's black on black and does not have anything engraved on the back other than the model number and "Designed and assembled in the USA". The 16GB XT1053 I got from the Ebay sale in October is exactly the same.

Also-
From the Ebay listing: "GSM Unlocked: Not compatible with Sprint or Verizon"

Sorry but what you got was not a Dev edition. Dev editions have 32gb, woven white back, and "DEVELOPER EDITION" engraved on the back. You got a regular gsm unlocked X (which shares the same model number).

I have a Dev edition myself.

PapaGary

Jan 23, 2014
Visit site
Sorry but what you got was not a Dev edition. Dev editions have 32gb, woven white back, and "DEVELOPER EDITION" engraved on the back. You got a regular gsm unlocked X (which shares the same model number).

Okay, but what determines the developer's edition other than the engraving on the back?

oldDummy

Dec 10, 2013
Visit site
Okay, but what determines the developer's edition other than the engraving on the back?

Believe the DE versions bootloader is not only unlocked, but unlockable.
Runs just about pure android like your XT1053 which, I guess, is the reason for the same model number.
At one time, rumor had it, they had more bands enabled than other Moto X's.
Don't think that is true.

SamCarterX302

Sep 8, 2014
Visit site
The bootloader is unlockable, not unlocked already. In the box, in the same little envelope the user's guide came in, there is a slip of paper that starts:

IMPORTANT NOTICE- DEVELOPER EDITION

and contains a URL to go to to get unlocking instructions.

PapaGary

Jan 23, 2014
Visit site
The bootloader is unlockable, not unlocked already.
Ah, that didn't make sense to me either.
In the box, in the same little envelope the user's guide came in, there is a slip of paper that starts:

IMPORTANT NOTICE- DEVELOPER EDITION

and contains a URL to go to to get unlocking instructions.
Okay, I don't have anything like that. I just found it odd that both of my XT1053s came with Developer Options enabled out of the box.

Rocketsaucev2

Feb 5, 2013
Visit site
It has nothing to do with developer options. The only difference in a developer edition moto X is it retains the warranty after you unlock the bootloader. A non dev edition, even a t-mobile XT 1053 will be able to unlock from motos Web site but will void the warranty in doing so

Sent from my Moto X using Tapatalk

oldDummy

Dec 10, 2013
Visit site
.... retains the warranty after you unlock the bootloader. A non dev edition, even a t-mobile XT 1053 will be able to unlock from motos Web site but will void the warranty in doing so

Keeping warranty is a great feature.
My understanding:
Unlocked means it's not "locked" to a carrier.
Unlockable means it can't be locked ; which comes in handy if, [playing with ROMs or whatever], you would inadvertently brick your phone.
Is this correct?

. .

Rocketsaucev2

Feb 5, 2013
Visit site
Keeping warranty is a great feature.
My understanding:
Unlocked means it's not "locked" to a carrier.
Unlockable means it can't be locked ; which comes in handy if, [playing with ROMs or whatever], you would inadvertently brick your phone.
Is this correct?

. .

No. You are confusing bootloaders and sim locking. The developer edition concerns bootloaders. An XT 1053 is compatible with GSM networks and is carrier unlocked. Not the same thing as bootloader unlockable. Another example being the Verizon developer edition. It and the regular 2013 Verizon moto x are both XT 1060 but folks with the developer edition don't lose warranty when unlocking the bootloader. A non dev edition phone would void the warranty if the bootloader is unlocked

PapaGary

Jan 23, 2014
Visit site
Another factoid:

I think the reason I thought my XT1053 was a "Developer's Edition" is that shortly after getting my phone in December 2013 I attempted to enable the developer options by tapping "Build Number" on the About Phone in Settings. After tapping just four times a window popped up stating: "No need, you are already a Developer." What's up with that?

Last edited:

SamCarterX302

Sep 8, 2014
Visit site
Those developer options are available on most android devices....I remember enabling them on my 1st gen Nexus 7 tablet.

Developer Edition in regards to the Moto X really just means you can unlock the bootloader without voiding the warranty.

sealy64

Dec 1, 2014
Visit site
I researched this issue a while back and ended up buying my wife the 2013 XT1053 developer edition. As others have said, the main difference is that you can unlock the developer edition's bootloader without voiding warranty. It has nothing to do with whether developer options are enabled in the menus. The developer always has 32GB and the woven white back.

If you still are considering a purchase, you also should be aware that not all XT1053's are the same. XT1053 is the model number for the developer edition. It also is the model number for the device suitable and intended for USA carriers AT&T and T-Mobile. XT1053 also is the model number used for devices for use with specific carriers in other countries, such as Mexico and Brazil. There are some Internet rumors that those other carriers dictate such things as update cycles. The developer edition is not tied to any carrier or the vagaries that might be associated with those carriers' models. I decided on the developer edition largely because I could know exactly what I was getting. If you already have an XT1053 but do not know which variant it is, you can learn some information by looking at the About Phone information. Each will have a ...ghost_row.... item. The USA version will contain something like ghost_row.en.us, whereas the Mexican version will contain something like ghost_row.en.mx and the Brazilian will contain something like ...ghost_row.en.br.

Look up moto x at wikipedia and see the Variants table for more information.