Is the Moto X 1st gen (2013) still worth it?

anon(43138)

Jul 24, 2010
Visit site
Companies like Pebble are working hard to make their tech compatible with lower Android versions. Lots of support for past versions still. Latest, greatest doesn't mean best for you.

Posted via the Android Central App

UncleMike

Nov 8, 2009
Visit site
What isn't the 2013 X capable of that you need it to do? At $200 cheaper than the 2014 model...it is a ridiculous bargain.

I paid $230 for a new 2013 Moto X on eBay just about two months ago for my wife. Or was the perfect opportunity to buy a newer phone for myself and hand down my own 2013 Moto X to her, but I didn't do it because nothing released since appeals to me more than my Moto X.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

oldDummy

Dec 10, 2013
Visit site
I bought another new DE XT1053 about a month ago.
Consider that my vote.
Currently switching between Sony's Xperia Z3 Compact and the Moto X.
While different, they are both good, well made phones.

imurrx

Sep 17, 2013
Visit site
If your on gsm, definitely get the Developer Edition. I like it better than my old sprint one.

atkjhi

Oct 6, 2013
Visit site
My Moto X internal speaker has been working off and on for about two months now. I dropped it about two months ago and that's when the problem started. I can still use speakerphone and every now and then the internal speaker goes on again but it's just not reliable.

Anyway I've been looking for a new phone for the last month and reading up on the GS5, M8, 2014 Moto X, 2014 Moto G, Xperia Z3, iPhone 6, and I've come to the conclusion that I wouldn't want any of those phones over the 2013 Moto X.

For me size is a huge part of the decision factor and the Moto X w/the 4.7 inch screen is the perfect phone size for me. That alone eliminates most of the newer phones.

So I'll be getting a new DE Moto X and I'm going to give my Moto X to my 7-yr old to use as a WiFi device.

chw8022

Jan 12, 2015
Visit site
Bought one (Moto X 2013) on eBay -unlocked ex demo but with 'new' credentials. Living in New Zealand. Top phone still haven't got at all of it. Best size for one hand. Great definition and colour. Get one - do it. Lollipop on near horizon got to be good. All they have to do for next one is put in an SD card!!!

Paisley

Aug 3, 2013
Visit site
If i had to buy a phone today i would buy the moto x 2013. (unless i had gsm, in which case i might go to sony z3compact, but prolly not since it's about $600). Wouldn't take any other phone even if it were free.

imurrx

Sep 17, 2013
Visit site
One month with my xt1053 DE and mostly positive. Better battery then my Sprint XT1056. One complaint that my flash stopped working and a crack on the side of the back. I'll get Motorola fix it since it's under warranty.

jim1405

Dec 22, 2013
Visit site
I've found the Moto X is the perfect for me. While I've tried several other phones since I first got it, I still keep coming back to the Moto X.

First, I'm pretty light cell phone user so the battery life isn't an issue for me. In fact, I find it to gets good standby time which is important to me. The size is just perfect and easy to use one handed. I tried a 5.5" phone and found it just wasn't a good fit for me. While great at home or work with the screen real estate I absolutely hated it when I was mobile. Too big to fit comfortably in my pocket and too big and cumbersome to even think about one handed use (I never realized how much I use a phone one handed until I owned one that I couldn't use one handed). Just too big to deal with every day IMHO. On the other hand the 4.7" screen Moto X fit nicely in my pockets, is a breeze to use one handed and is much more comfortable to hold on calls.

Even though it is pretty light in the spec. dept., it still zips right along on my simple tasks. I love the Active Display. The phone radio is very good. I have yet to own a phone that pulls in as strong of a signal. And I love the display. Yeah, I know the colors are over saturated and it doesn't get very bright but having those vibrant colors against that inky black background just make the image "pop".

Clocks

Aug 27, 2010
Visit site
I came back to the 2013 after trying the turbo and the 2014 x. I just use my phone one handed too often and I can't quite reach on the 2014 version. I really just browse the web and sit on conference calls for work so the specs work fine for me.
I am a fan of lollipop though so I hope it comes quickly.

cdmta

Dec 27, 2009
Visit site
I have both and go back and forth. Right now I prefer the original. Its kind of getting ridiculous going back and forth.

dc9super80

Apr 30, 2013
Visit site
It is a great loveable phone. It runs very well, though it´s specs are supposedly "outdated" you wouldn´t notice it. It runs very smoothly, it is comfortable in the hand, just the right size. My only complaint is the camera, which could have been better.

Cant Miss

Jan 15, 2013
Visit site
The 2013 is damn near perfect on 4.4.4, and will easily last you 2-3 years. But while it is certain that it will get Lollipop, based on my experience with my 2014, I am not sure you want it the way it is now. So a legitimate concern might be "will the 2013 get 5.2 or 5.3 or whatever version it takes for them to address all of the issues?"

If you're fine sticking with KitKat, I can't think of a better phone in the price range that they are available at now. If you are a "gotta have the latest Android" type guy, you roll the dice a bit with a 1.5 year old phone.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
calvinxander08