Chromecast Screen Mirroring

WingsFan87

Mar 17, 2011
Visit site
I just received an update to Chromecast that now enabled the option to cast my screen via Chromecast :)

Anyone else got this?

Moto X 2013
VZW stock 4.4 not rooted
Chromecast App ver 1.9.6
Chromecast Hw Firmware 22062

Posted via Android Central App

chenalex

Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
just tried it, it doesn't work that well.. lots of skipping streaming a basketball game. the game was smooth on the phone, but skipping on my tv. I will try with other apps tomorrow.

GadgetGator

Jun 20, 2010
Visit site
Has anyone tried this with Spotify yet? I'm still on 4.2.2 because I have vision issues and do not like the brightness of 4.4 but would consider making the plunge anyway if that would allow Spotify to stream to my Chromecast like I'd like!

But I am not going to do it if performance sucks.

weksa

Jul 9, 2012
Visit site
Yeah I have and it's a horrible hack. Songs stop playing shortly after starting....a LOT. I found it completely unusable.

I'll try to screen cast Spotify tomorrow and let you know how it goes. Of interest to me is whether I can turn off the screen on my phone and have the audio still play on the TV. If it does work and play smoothly, I have an app suggestion for you regarding screen brightness: Lux. I prefer it over the stock brightness adjust because I can make the screen very dim. There's a free version, but I liked Lux so much I paid to support the dev.

GadgetGator

Jun 20, 2010
Visit site
I'll try to screen cast Spotify tomorrow and let you know how it goes. Of interest to me is whether I can turn off the screen on my phone and have the audio still play on the TV. If it does work and play smoothly, I have an app suggestion for you regarding screen brightness: Lux. I prefer it over the stock brightness adjust because I can make the screen very dim. There's a free version, but I liked Lux so much I paid to support the dev.

Great! I look forward to hearing your results!

weksa

Jul 9, 2012
Visit site
Great! I look forward to hearing your results!

Hey, screen casting works smoothly for Spotify. (As I said in an earlier post, it wasn't smooth for videos.) When I pressed the power button to turn off my screen, the audio continued to play on the TV. Because it's screen mirroring, the TV also goes black. A second effect of screen mirroring is that if the phone is in portrait mode, it will be like that on the TV: there are black spaces to the left and right of the screen. It's unattractive, so I'm hoping Spotify eventually incorporates casting in their app.

FYI, my home WiFi is 15 mbit cable down. Any other questions, let me know.

GadgetGator

Jun 20, 2010
Visit site
Hey, screen casting works smoothly for Spotify. (As I said in an earlier post, it wasn't smooth for videos.) When I pressed the power button to turn off my screen, the audio continued to play on the TV. Because it's screen mirroring, the TV also goes black. A second effect of screen mirroring is that if the phone is in portrait mode, it will be like that on the TV: there are black spaces to the left and right of the screen. It's unattractive, so I'm hoping Spotify eventually incorporates casting in their app.

FYI, my home WiFi is 15 mbit cable down. Any other questions, let me know.

Can't you just turn the phone sideways to avoid the black bar problem?

But yeah, it would be nice if they actually listened to their customers and added native Chromecast support to their app. It's only been a year and a half (and counting).

weksa

Jul 9, 2012
Visit site
Oh yeah, turning the phone sideways to landscape would eliminate the black areas on the TV. I've been spoiled by native Chromecast support in other apps: it's nice to be able to use my phone for other things while casting. For my purposes, I would rarely use screen mirroring.

tmann202

Jan 6, 2014
Visit site
Has anyone been able to screencast video with Chromecast from an original Moto X yet? ( I have the non-branded ("tmobile") one.

If not, does anyone have any idea if there are any plans to add Chromecast screencast ("mirroring") to the original Moto X? Maybe it would happen with the next firmware upgrade (if it ever gets another one)?? I am shopping for a new TV and it would be great to know if I will ever be able to do this, for say HBOGo etc.

https://support.google.com/chromecast/answer/6059461?hl=en

"If your device is running Android 4.4.2 or higher, but is not listed below, it still may be possible to cast your Android screen. Please note that your experience may vary."

Under "Supported Android Devices":

"Motorola Moto X (2nd Gen.)" (Does not list the 1st gen)

weksa

Jul 9, 2012
Visit site
tmann202, screen mirroring is possible with the original Moto X, but as we discussed in this thread, mirroring video isn't so smooth. Make sure you're updated to Android 4.4.4 and the latest version of Chromecast. When you open the Chromecast app, the hamburger menu will have an option to "Cast Screen."

RM83

Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
How do I update it? I click on cast screen on my 2013 Verizon Moto X and it says no nearby device's found.