Why is my wifi so slow when connecting to my router at home?

shaytoon21

Mar 8, 2012
Visit site
Router connection issues

so i bought a new router and have noticed my phone being really slow when connected to wifi. things take a long time to load. phone works normally fast when i turn off wifi at home or am connected to other wifi spots. im trying to see what settings within the router i need to play with so the phone can be fast again. router is linksys ea6100, has option for 2 and 5 ghz, i tried switching between both and got same results.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Re: Router connection issues

Use an app like Wifi Analyzer to see which channels are most congested, and set your router's channel to the least congested one. (See your router's manual to learn how to login to the settings from your computer browser.) You can also check to make sure QoS (Quality of Service) isn't turned on--QoS prioritizes certain connections over others, for example to make sure a device dedicated to HDTV streaming doesn't get slowed down by other devices on the network.

See other tips here: http://forums.androidcentral.com/am...roubleshooting-wi-fi-connection-problems.html

shaytoon21

Mar 8, 2012
Visit site

i tried all of that as well as the guide, same results :(

whats weird is when i do speedtests, the speeds come out the same. i feel like its the connection somehow even though theres full bars for wifi.

weksa

Jul 9, 2012
Visit site

So this started happening with the new router? You didn't experience slower WiFi speeds on your phone with the previous router?

sixty_four

Nov 29, 2011
Visit site

i tried all of that as well as the guide, same results :(

whats weird is when i do speedtests, the speeds come out the same. i feel like its the connection somehow even though theres full bars for wifi.

Signal strength and throughput is the same...hmm, could this be a name resolution issue perhaps? You could test this by comparing access times to content by name or IP.

What DNS servers are you using? You could try some alternate public servers like Google's (8.8.8.8, 4.4.4.4).

shaytoon21

Mar 8, 2012
Visit site

this has become unbearable. does anyone have any other suggestions or tips on how to fix this?

Groid

Dec 14, 2011
Visit site

You should definitely put in values for dns on your router settings from your pc browser. I'm using the Google public dns 8.8.8.8 with a secondary dns of 8.8.4.4. I'm not sure how dhcp server can resolve the values without dns settings.

shaytoon21

Mar 8, 2012
Visit site

You should definitely put in values for dns on your router settings from your pc browser. I'm using the Google public dns 8.8.8.8 with a secondary dns of 8.8.4.4. I'm not sure how dhcp server can resolve the values without dns settings.

i think it worked, things seem faster so thank you!!

JonasLue

Sep 24, 2015
Visit site
It is the Location Service with is slowing down wifi in some cases, you can try to disable it in the settings or set it to "GPS only" or something
The original G+ thread is this: productforums_google_com/forum/#!topic/nexus/kdix_8YPyq8 (replace the underscores before the first "/" with ".")
JonasLue ;)

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Landers2