Moto X (1st gen): Monoy Tempered glass screen protector review

sixty_four

Nov 29, 2011
Visit site
As I'm a bit of a dork when it comes to protecting my devices from everyday wear and tear, I've always had screen protectors on my phones and tablets. Until a month ago, I only used the PE film type protectors. I was shopping for a new set of protectors for my X'13 and on a whim decided to take a look at some glass options. After reading a few reviews, I settled on a tempered glass protector from Monoy. I'm really impressed and don't think I'll ever use a plastic protector if a glass option is available.

As with any product, there are pros and cons. Here's a quick list off the top of my head:

Pros:
  • durability - after 3-4 weeks of use, it looks brand new. PE film protectors would start showing scratches within days, sometimes hours
  • feel - feels like the original glass with none of the drag or tackiness of some plastic protectors
  • edge feel - the Monoy has beveled, rounded edges and is much more comfortable at the edges than sharp-cut plastic films
  • grease/fingerprint resistance - the reviews for the Monoy touted its oleophobic properties. I have to agree with the reviews. I used to have to wipe down my plastic films several times a day. I barely need to do so with the glass protector

Cons:
  • thickness - the glass is noticably thicker than the plastic films. I was put off a little by this the first couple of days but now I'm used to it.
  • no 2nd chances! - once you've committed to the install, you're COMMITTED. I used to be able to use tape to reposition and remove dust from film installations but not with the glass one. It sticks hard. Fortunately my install was good with only a couple of dust specks trapped. These are really hard to see, unlike with a plastic film.
  • reduced sensitivity - ballparking my screen sensitivity, I'd say I'm at 95%. Some touches near the edges sometimes don't register. It's an annoyance and not a deal breaker for me.

Tie
  • price - ~$9 for one protector which is about the same price for a pack of median plastic ones. Based on current observed wear, I think the glass one will last longer than 3-5 plastic ones.

Hope this helps anyone searching for information on tempered glass screen protectors.

Puzzlegal

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site
Re: Tempered glass screen protector

There are two types of plastic film protectors. It sounds like you were using the cheaper one. Did you try the "self healing, protects fighter planes" one?

sixty_four

Nov 29, 2011
Visit site

There are two types of plastic film protectors. It sounds like you were using the cheaper one. Did you try the "self healing, protects fighter planes" one?

I'm not sure. Do you have a specific brand in mind? I remember one brand I used was "Tech Armor". I think they were one of the cheaper options.

SupersoNick_95

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site

Is the screen protector too thick to use with a Case? I'm thinking of using the slick shell backless bumper.

Moto X 2013 GSM Dev. Ed.

sixty_four

Nov 29, 2011
Visit site

The Monoy leaves what looks like ~1.5mm of space around the edges so I'm guessing it would work well with most cases.

Puzzlegal

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site

I'm not sure. Do you have a specific brand in mind? I remember one brand I used was "Tech Armor". I think they were one of the cheaper options.
I have used phantom skinz. I'm looking at skinomi for my next phone, since phantom skinz doesn't make one for it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
planeboy