Moto X (1st gen): AT&T Hotspot Tethering?

katenok

May 22, 2010
Visit site
Hi all,

I recently bought a new Moto X 2013, AT&T edition for use on Cricket Wireless. So far, I love the phone. It was meant to be an interim phone for use while my Nexus 5 was being repaired by LG. Unfortunately, due to the horrible customer service at LG and the fact that it took 4 times sending my Nexus 5 to be repaired for the same problem, I can't see myself ever using an LG phone again. Also, I've grown addicted to the active display on my Moto X and now get frustrated by having to press the power button to see my notifications on the Nexus 5. :)

The only problem I'm having with the Moto X is that AT&T has locked down the hotspot tethering. This is something that I do need to use from time to time. I've done a search on this forum and found that the only solution seems to be rooting and flashing a different ROM. I'm not averse to rooting if that's the only way. But I'm wondering whether unlocking the phone would do anything? The other option would be to sell my Moto X and buy a developer edition.

Thanks in advance,
Cathy

Last edited by a moderator:

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
Have you found a solution?

If not, take a look at Fox-Fi: https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...tore/apps/details?id=com.foxfi&token=Jbdprg2u

If you read the description there is some information related to using the app on AT&T service. Often times Fox-Fi will work without rooting the device, so this may be an option to look into. Also, if you have a limited data plan you want to be careful since tethering also counts towards your data allowance.

katenok

May 22, 2010
Visit site
I haven't found a solution so far. FoxFi is what I've been using on the Nexus 5 and unfortunately it doesn't work on Moto X.

imurrx

Sep 17, 2013
Visit site
The developers edition work like a charm for tethering on cricket.

You may want to call at&t and ask them to unlock it for you. I think I was able to tether my wify's note 2 . it may be a lock on there end they can unrestrict..

Posted via the Android Central App

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelrie