My Motorola Support Experience

stabbedintheface

Jun 2, 2010
Visit site
I have a 2013 Gen 1 Moto X that I recently had knocked out of my hand ane on to a concrete curb. The normal result of glass meeting concrete at a high speed occurred and I needed to have my screen replaced.
No problem! Even though my device is a year old Moto has a great advanced exchange program! 100 bucks plus a deposit and I should have a new phone "overnight shipped within 4 business days" - according to the Motorola site.

On 4/2 (in the evening) I logged into Motorola and submitted my order. I would say less that 15 minutes later they charged my card the full amount for repairs and deposit. I got a nice little email saying they would let me know when the device shipped

I waited…on the 3rd,4th, 5th,6th,7th, 8th,9th ….. and no update at all.
So I contacted them via chat and asked what the problem was. I was told that there doesn't seem to be any problem that they just have not shipped it yet. No answer when I was asked about the "4 day guarantee." Just some broken English canned responses about "doing their best."

"At Motorola, we work to make things right!"

So then the 10th,11th,12th,14th roll by and still no shipment notification. Contacting support basically leads me to the same answer. They have no idea why it hasn't shipped but that I should just keep waiting because they are sure it's about it ship.
Finally on the 15th I call and after being transferred around and sitting on hold for nearly an hour I talk to someone in repair escalations. Who says now that I'm going to "Get a free upgrade to a 2014 Moto X"

"Great! How do I do that?" I ask.

"Someone will call you within the next 24-48 hours. We can't give them out over the phone"

Despite the fact that I don't have a phone (hence the repair) I give them my wife's cell # so they can call.
A few hours roll by and I suddenly I get an email saying they have shipped my replacement device. Confused I call back and speak to the same people who had me on hold for hours before.

Now things have changed. Suddenly they have the device and there will be no upgrade. But they were willing to offer me 10% off a moto hint…yay. But I was assured the device has now shipped and should be there in 24 hours.

At this point I'm annoyed as hell. But at least they've shipped my phone. Bummed about the upgrade but I wasn't supposed to get that anyway.
So I check the tracking number that evening. Still just shows that the label has simply been printed. I check it the next morning (yesterday) still shows the label has just been printed….and I check today and still shows no progress on the package. I'm guessing they simply printed a label to shut me up and who knows when it will actually ship.

So now it's today (the 17th) and almost 2 weeks since I placed the order. No one there will help me and frankly I can't find anyone who doesn't have English as their 4th or 5th language to talk to. I just seem to get canned responses they are reading from a screen. I'm not sure what I can do other than contact my credit card and have the charges contested. Support reps don't seem able to help at all.

Anyone have any ideas?

Doomed#AC

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Well I wrote up a nice long response to this post but the forum, after I hit quick reply, decided that it just wanted to delete everything I typed. So search for my post if you want to see my fun times with Motorola and Sprint. My advice is to run fast and far away from Motorola. This advice was given to my by a much wiser forum member. Good luck.

stabbedintheface

Jun 2, 2010
Visit site
Yeah - I'm honestly at a total loss. I can't get anyone at all on the line that can do anything but gived me a canned response. At one point they just started answering questions I wasn't even asking. I asked at one point for the person to tell me if they were a robot or not just to make sure...

stabbedintheface

Jun 2, 2010
Visit site
So I took one last run at this...

I called and was very clear that I wanted to speak with a supervisor. When I got one that couldn't speak english I was polite but firm that I wanted someone who spoke english well. I finally got "Dan" on the phone who was the first person who could actually help me. ....once I told him that if I wasn't happy getting off this call I was calling American Express to file fraud charges...

End result:
They cancelled the shipment of my replacement device. Gave me a code for a free new 2014 Moto X, A free Moto Hint, and a battery pack. I wouldn't believe if I hadn't already used the code to order the device and got a shipment notification.

I won't ACTUALLY believe I'm done with this until I have a working device in my hand and I'm not on the phone debating charges...but at least I've got some movement.

Oddly enough, the supervisor basically told me he doesn't know why I was given the run around for a code and told I had to wait for a call. He just hooked me up right there on the phone....It's like either the other folks don't know what they were doing or they were just messing with me

imurrx

Sep 17, 2013
Visit site
The first time I got my XT1056 fixed it was horrible to deal with Motorola. End result was the waiving of my repair. Multiple reps had no clue and ignored what you were saying to them.

When I called for my xt1053de, they didn't have it and have me a free upgrade to the Nexus 6. I wish I had the 2014 pure instead due in not complaining. This time they were on top of their game expert of the annoying emails saying that I need to send the device in.

Posted via the Android Central App

sharkita

Dec 7, 2013
Visit site
So I took one last run at this...

I called and was very clear that I wanted to speak with a supervisor. When I got one that couldn't speak english I was polite but firm that I wanted someone who spoke english well. I finally got "Dan" on the phone who was the first person who could actually help me. ....once I told him that if I wasn't happy getting off this call I was calling American Express to file fraud charges...

End result:
They cancelled the shipment of my replacement device. Gave me a code for a free new 2014 Moto X, A free Moto Hint, and a battery pack. I wouldn't believe if I hadn't already used the code to order the device and got a shipment notification.

I won't ACTUALLY believe I'm done with this until I have a working device in my hand and I'm not on the phone debating charges...but at least I've got some movement.

Oddly enough, the supervisor basically told me he doesn't know why I was given the run around for a code and told I had to wait for a call. He just hooked me up right there on the phone....It's like either the other folks don't know what they were doing or they were just messing with me

You most definitely should not have had to go through all that, but this is a prime example why companies who outsource support in order to save money lose in the long run because customers - even diehard longtime customers - who actually need that support can have such awful experiences and often swear off that company for good.

hisense

Aug 13, 2014
Visit site
I think it depends. I had a grommet issue on the front camera after 8 months. I elected to take the advanced replacement..where they send a replacement and then I send back my defective phone.

It was quick and easy (just a week ago). I ended up with an XT1053 64gb version that looks brand new. My old one was a 16gb and had a a ding in the corner. They even added the customization I had.

jexx

Nov 28, 2013
Visit site
You most definitely should not have had to go through all that, but this is a prime example why companies who outsource support in order to save money lose in the long run because customers - even diehard longtime customers - who actually need that support can have such awful experiences and often swear off that company for good.

And this my friends, is why, after, many years as a Motorola customer and current xt1060, owner I will leave Motorola for good. My next device will not be a Moto anything. Very sad to see this company go down the toilet.

atkjhi

Oct 6, 2013
Visit site
I will never buy another Motorola phone either as much as I like the Moto X. 16 months ago I was without a phone for 21 days as Motorola tried to fix my phone. Same old run around story that everyone else is experiencing.

Definitely dispute the charge, the credit card companies always place the burden of proof on the merchant. I am a controller and we lose 90 percent of credit card disputes even though we have documentation to support the charges. The best argument a customer can use is fraud. We lose every time when a customer claims it was a fraudulent charge and this is even when we have proof the charges were legit.

stabbedintheface

Jun 2, 2010
Visit site
Just a follow up to this...

My "special package" never shipped. Even though I had a tracking number. I called several times and finally was told that the other rep was "confused." Several other calls and lies later I was told I was getting a nexus 6...which of course has never shipped and every call back just leads me to someone giving me a different answer.

I'll be filing fraud charges with my credit card company and will NEVER EVER again purchase another Motorola product. Too bad because I love their phones. But this has been the worst customer service experience I've ever been a part of. If they were not such a large company I would think they are just scam artists.

My time is worth more than the "100 repair fee." I'm just going to drive to the store and buy a new phone with the 1 requirement being that it not be a Motorola.

stabbedintheface

Jun 2, 2010
Visit site
I realize I'm now responding to my own thread but I figured this needs closure.

I'm actually sitting on the phone with my CC to file fraudulent charges against motorola. Then two things happen

1. The CC person says that the charges have already been credited back as of this morning but had not been reflected on my statement. I'm shocked at this but figure Moto can't even figure out how to ship phones. How can they figure out how to charge someone?

2. The receptionist knocks on my door and sets a package on my desk. Inside it is a brand new Nexus 6 (32 GB, Dark Blue). No order number, no reference number. nothing.

So odd....

TheRoyalFig

Jun 2, 2014
Visit site
Stabby,
Thanks for posting your story, or, better, tragedy. I'm currently in the middle of the same kind of ordeal. I sent in my Moto X (1st gen) under the Moto Accident Care plan (or whatever it's called) and I am receiving the same run-around. It's been over 13 days since they received my device, but there's no end in sight. I've talked to countless agents, live chatted, emailed, etc. and haven't received any resolution (contacting them, in fact, has become a part-time job). Moto has recognized how terrible their service has been and offered me a Nexus 6 as an upgrade, but when I called to confirm they said that they didn't have one in stock and didn't know when they would get more. They also told me that I would need to call them every day to see when/if their stock changed, if I wanted a replacement phone. Until that day comes, I'm without my phone. It's affecting my work, school, relationships (my fiancee is currently half-way around the world).

In short, Motorola took my phone and repair fee, hasn't issued me a replacement, hasn't given me a timeframe for when I might get the replacement, and simply has the worst customer service of any company ever. I would advise people to buy their phones and accessories elsewhere: Motorola does not stand by their products.

stabbedintheface

Jun 2, 2010
Visit site
I counted and it took me 21 calls (that's not including the chat sessions or whatever) to their repair escalation team. I was also repeatedly told that someone would call me back, or that I should call back the next day. Each time I got a different story. So unbelievably frustrating.

The only time I truly lost it on the phone was when the rep tried to explain to me how it was my fault for having a custom device.

For what it's worth...my final interaction went like this when I called the REST. I said nothing to the person who answered other than "transfer me to a supervisor." After about 10 minutes on hold I calmly let the supervisor read the whole notes. I asked if he understood what was going on. Then told him this would be my very last time contacting motorola. That if I didn't have a tracking number for a device within 3 hours either by phone or email that I would be calling my credit card to report the fraud. He said he would do his best. And to be fair, I honestly think this guy was doing his best.

No tracking number ever came, nor did any phone call (which is why I was on the phone with my CC company the next day).

The phone I got was a N6 dropped into a padded envelope with no charger or box or paperwork or anything other than my RMA number. Plus one other thing...a comment card with a contact for US customer service.

I sent a very strongly worded email and less than 30 minutes later got a follow up email saying they were sorry. With another discount code for 10% off accessories and an order number for a new turbo charger that was shipping that day.

I don't know exactly what went wrong. Either they need to just EOL the Moto X 2013 or stop offering repair support. At the end of the day it seems like one hand doesn't know what the other is doing. Support doesn't talk to Repairs and neither of them talk to the actual warehouse that ships the devices. So all of them make promises that they can't keep.

stabbedintheface

Jun 2, 2010
Visit site
OH, and one other thing. If you DO get a tracking number for a return device...it doesn't mean **** until it's actually left the warehouse. I had 1 tracking number sit there for 6 days and another (my "special package") sit there for 2 days and then be cancelled.

The silver lining in this whole nightmare is that I arguably got a free upgrade. It was hell and totally not worth it...but just trying to see the bright side. Worst case I'll sell it and get a different phone

TheRoyalFig

Jun 2, 2014
Visit site
Wow! I think you've just run the marathon iron man of customer support (although there seems to be little support). This company just doesn't seem to know what it's doing at all, and, worse, doesn't seem care at all. That's such a shame, because I really like my Moto X (2013). It was the best phone I've used, but apparently from what has become the worst company to do business with. I'm not looking forward to having to run the same gauntlet you did. You're right: It's an upgrade that's totally not worth it. Thanks for your wisdom. I let you know how it turns out...

Doomed#AC

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
You should get something for your time and problems that you had with their service. Good to hear. Me, I felt in the end I was lucky just to get a Moto X original that still doesn't work right. lol. Again run away fast as you can.

stabbedintheface

Jun 2, 2010
Visit site
You know the sad part is that if they had just said "hey, look we have not updated our service yet but we are not going to be able to service this moto x 1st gen or it's going to take awhile." I would have said "ok" and found another solution. The frustration was that I honestly felt I was just being lied to over and over again. Like I said, I lost it when the rep tried to make it my fault for having a "custom device."

To be fair, I had to have my wifes Moto X serviced a year ago and it went off without a hitch. I had new phone inside of 48 hours. I've also dealth with HTC in the past and it was fairly painless.

Not sure what has happened over at Moto; But it's clear something is in free fall.

imurrx

Sep 17, 2013
Visit site
My last and current experience from Moto Care was an advance replacement. I called Thursday for it. Monday they informed me of upgrading me to a Nexus 6. The Friday I had the Nexus 6. Mailed back the Moto X Saturday. on the following Monday I got a email I was going to be charged for not sending on the old device. Thursday they received it.

Much better than the first time where I was sent a defective device, a second RMA created, no one at Motorola had a clue, a botched FEDEX delivery, getting charged for the replacement, and weeks to get a refund.