Can't connect to Mobile Data since Lollipop update

b_slow1

Nov 12, 2013
Visit site
Another Lollipop update issue here...

Since I did the OS update to 5.1, my phone won't connect to mobile data. Calls/Texts work, as does WiFi data.

Here's what I've tried:
1) Reinserted SIM card
2) Reset the APNs
3) Tried adding new APN
4) Turned off Cell Radios, then turned them back on.
5) Booted into Recovery, cleared cache.
6) Factory Reset (2x)

I'm stumped. Motorola just wants to "replace" my phone. That's a ridiculous solution. T-Mobile, my provider, hasn't gotten back to me with a solution yet.

Any ideas on how to fix this mess?

b_slow1

Nov 12, 2013
Visit site
Why is that a "ridiculous solution"? Sounds pretty good to me.

Because they are going to replace my phone with a refurbished one, which I don't like. I've only had my Moto X for 6-7 months. Secondly, there SHOULD be a reason why this mobile data stopped working. It's not like the phone is broken. There's gotta be a solution. Giving up, and just replacing the phone seems silly to me.

And who's to say that when I do the OS update on the "new" (refurbished) phone that the same exact thing won't happen?

hallux

Q&A Team
Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
Sorry, but Motorola is WELL within their rights by the letter of their warranty to replace the device with a refurbished unit.

What Will Motorola Do?
If a covered defect or damage arises and a valid warranty claim is received within the applicable Warranty
Period, Motorola, at its sole option, unless otherwise required by applicable law, will either (1) repair, at no
charge, the defect or damage using new, used or reconditioned/refurbished functionally equivalent replacement
parts; or (2) exchange the Product with a replacement Product that is new or which has been
reconditioned/refurbished or otherwise remanufactured from new or used parts and is functionally equivalent to
the original Product; or (3) refund the purchase price of any Products covered by the terms and conditions of
this Limited Warranty.

Link to the warranty text

You're getting back what you're giving them, a phone that's been used, except in the case of what you're getting it's been repaired and tested to be like-new. If ALL manufacturers replaced 6 month-old failed devices with brand new units, can you imagine the environmental impact that would have? Not to mention the stress on their production facilities (and your device is no longer in production anyway). If you were within 30 days, that's a whole other story as you should get a new device.

b_slow1

Nov 12, 2013
Visit site
Sorry, but Motorola is WELL within their rights by the letter of their warranty to replace the device with a refurbished unit.

Link to the warranty text

You're getting back what you're giving them, a phone that's been used, except in the case of what you're getting it's been repaired and tested to be like-new. If ALL manufacturers replaced 6 month-old failed devices with brand new units, can you imagine the environmental impact that would have? Not to mention the stress on their production facilities (and your device is no longer in production anyway). If you were within 30 days, that's a whole other story as you should get a new device.

Sure. Motorola is well within their rights to do whatever they want. If their official policy was to take my phone, and replace it with a shiny turd, that's their prerogative.

My point was: It seems silly to just offer to replace the phone for another without bothering to figure out what the problem is. Think about the environmental impact of that! I can't be the only person on the planet who has had their Moto X get messed up by the update... What would be the odds of that? So they should know what the issue is and how to fix it. It has to be a software bug. The phone was perfectly fine, and then the update took place, and suddenly, it wasn't fine.

hallux

Q&A Team
Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
I had one of the original Motorola Droids. When (I think) FroYo came out, the device just would NOT take the update, it failed every time, even using the update.zip on the microSD card. After talking to Motorola, what do you think their solution was? You guessed it, they replaced the phone.

It's VERY possible there is a fault in the radio chip on your Moto X that ended up being exposed by the updated radio drivers or firmware in the new version. In that case, the only solution is to replace the phone, just like an inability to update on my Droid was likely corruption of the internal storage and it had to be replaced because it wouldn't take an update.

cindylike24

Feb 25, 2011
Visit site
Now here's an idea that you might want to look into. Check with your wireless provider and see if your phone is still provisioned for mobile data in their system. If it is, they may have you turn the phone off then back on again without the WiFi being turned on your phone. That should do the trick. I had the same problem with the warranty replacement I received from Motorola a few weeks ago. I have the Verizon Wireless Developer Edition of the phone running on Straight Talk Wireless. There have been a couple of times when I was having the same issue as you. After talking to Motorola and having them tell me that it sounded like a problem on the carrier's end. I then went on a live chat with Straight Talk and they were able to make sure everything was fine on their end. That's when they had me reboot the phone without the WiFi being on. It worked. I was then able to turn my WiFi on and all worked well on the phone. I'm still on KitKat but waiting for Lollipop to roll out for my phone.

Just my two cents. Take it for what it's worth.

Cindy

Posted via the Android Central App

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
unirockers