Considering going back to the good ol 2013 Moto X. What's your take?

hilgerone

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
Long story short, sick of phones getting huge. Found a brand new in the box 2013 Moto X. My daughter has my old one and while the battery is getting long in the tooth after 2 solid years of use, it really seems to purr right along to this day. I would be running it stock. What are your thoughts? Is yours still handling apps okay? I'm not gaming or anything. Just normal run of the mill stuff, twitter, email, chrome, drive ect... 2-2.5 SOT daily mostly in bright conditions.
Thanks for any input.

Pollster

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
If you're happy with 4.4.4, then dive right in!
Most of us who have not updated to 5.1 are pretty happy with their phones.

Plaz

Mar 17, 2012
Visit site
Long story short, sick of phones getting huge. Found a brand new in the box 2013 Moto X. My daughter has my old one and while the battery is getting long in the tooth after 2 solid years of use, it really seems to purr right along to this day. I would be running it stock. What are your thoughts? Is yours still handling apps okay? I'm not gaming or anything. Just normal run of the mill stuff, twitter, email, chrome, drive ect... 2-2.5 SOT daily mostly in bright conditions.
Thanks for any input.
The 2013 Moto X is the first phone I've owned which I didn't hate after two years of ownership. Mine is still running like a champ (with Kryptonite ROM), and I see no need to upgrade in the near future. Mind you, I hated most of the Verizon crapware that came preloaded on it, so it'd likely be different if I were still running stock.

Envoyé de mon XT1060 en utilisant Tapatalk

hilgerone

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site

My daughters phone is running 5.1 and she says it's been running well. But it's good to know that may not be the rule. I'd imagine it would try to update straight to 5.1 when I take it out of the box since it shipped with JB.

Posted via the Android Central App

Evilnut

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for any input.

I just had a new battery installed in my 2013 motox. I bought it about 1 month after launch date. I didn't know how much the battery has degraded over time as it happens so slowly. It's amazing now again! I am in love with this phone all over again. The only thing that's pushing me towards getting a new phone, is that lollipop will probably be the last update this phone gets and I really would like a phone running marshmallow.

Posted via Android Central App from a beautiful Ebony backed Original Moto X or the amazing Nexus 10

PapaGary

Jan 23, 2014
Visit site
I love my XT1053 so much i bought another one for when my first one (purchased on Cyber Monday in December 2013) bites the dust. So far the replacement sits in a drawer. Both are running Lollipop flawlessly.

For me my Moto X is a communication and research tool. It is not a fashion accessory or an entertainment device.

hilgerone

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
I just had a new battery installed in my 2013 motox. I bought it about 1 month after launch date. I didn't know how much the battery has degraded over time as it happens so slowly. It's amazing now again! I am in love with this phone all over again. The only thing that's pushing me towards getting a new phone, is that lollipop will probably be the last update this phone gets and I really would like a phone running marshmallow.

Posted via Android Central App from a beautiful Ebony backed Original Moto X or the amazing Nexus 10

Where did you have the new battery installed? Or did you do it yourself?

Pollster

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
The update has been pulled, so no. It will update to 4.4.4 if that's not on it yet.
If I had to buy a phone today, I would probably get another one. Not sure what I'll do when this one does eventually stop being worthwhile.
Hopefully, a reasonable sized phone will be out there then

Evilnut

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
Where did you have the new battery installed? Or did you do it yourself?

I bought the battery on Amazon for about $8. Bought my geek phone nut friend a case of his favorite suds & he did it for me. Took him about 40 mins.

Puzzlegal

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site
I have bought two phones to replace the Moto X, and I'm still using it. I bought the Sony Xperia compact, but I didn't like it. It was too slippery to hold in one hand, and it was hard to play games with one hand when it sat on the table because it was hard to read from an angle. I sold it.

Then I bought a Moto Maxx (droid turbo) but it's a little too large for my pockets, and it doesn't feel as nice in my hand. I use it at home sometimes, but my phone service is on the Moto X.

I wish I knew a place that would replace the battery.

Evilnut

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
I have bought two phones to replace the Moto X, and I'm still using it. I bought the Sony Xperia compact, but I didn't like it. It was too slippery to hold in one hand, and it was hard to play games with one hand when it sat on the table because it was hard to read from an angle. I sold it.

Then I bought a Moto Maxx (droid turbo) but it's a little too large for my pockets, and it doesn't feel as nice in my hand. I use it at home sometimes, but my phone service is on the Moto X.

I wish I knew a place that would replace the battery.

Ubreakifix will replace the battery in the Moto X. I got a quote from them for $70.

KWKSLVR

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
Ubreakifix will replace the battery in the Moto X. I got a quote from them for $70.

Did that include the battery (with nfc)?

Posted via Android Central App

Evilnut

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
Yes, the quote I got included the battery.

Like I said in an earlier post I bought a battery off of Amazon for about $8. It have the NFC on it. So the batteries are pretty cheap.

maskedwombat

Oct 9, 2015
Visit site
Thanks for any input.

Yeah, I second that. If the Moto X's in stock are still coming with 4.2 or 4.4, stay with it. There are a lot of good things about Lollipop, but my phone's performance and stability was a lot better on Kit Kat (4.4).

In fact, there are a lot of software upgrades on older hardware that seem to disappoint these days...

Brian Ferguson

Aug 24, 2013
Visit site
Yeah, I second that. If the Moto X's in stock are still coming with 4.2 or 4.4, stay with it. There are a lot of good things about Lollipop, but my phone's performance and stability was a lot better on Kit Kat (4.4).

In fact, there are a lot of software upgrades on older hardware that seem to disappoint these days...
You'll probably run into a bunch of problems.

Sent from my XT1058 using Tapatalk

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Lollipop is awesome on my Verizon Moto X.

thewraith420

Sep 6, 2011
Visit site
Lollipop is awesome on my Verizon Moto X.

I'll second this. Verizon moto X on 5.1 not experiencing problems. I think some of the problems people are getting from 5.1 are from not starting clean. Before and after the Ota I factory reset

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk

trido#AC

Jun 3, 2011
Visit site
A friend on sat got a moto x 2013 loves it back up phone for his iphone 6 plus
Me this wed will get a moto x 2013 I have had two in past and miss them. two things Moto assist and Moto notification the way Moto does it is great and will never get anything like this on iphone.My current phone iphone 6.

Now my friend is on ATT he got lollipop ugrade last nite so far not one single issue.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
I'll second this. Verizon moto X on 5.1 not experiencing problems. I think some of the problems people are getting from 5.1 are from not starting clean. Before and after the Ota I factory reset

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk

I didn't "start clean". :)