so is the lollipop update a go or nogo?

blackbyrd

Jun 6, 2010
Visit site
I've seen people experiencing a bunch of problems since updating. What's the consensus, update or no? I'm perfectly happy with my phone as is now. Are there any improvements from this update or only problems?

Thanks in advance for replies

Posted via the Android Central App

lonewolfarcher

Nov 23, 2011
Visit site
GO.

I love it. Initially had some doubts but once I got the Google Play Service 8.1.15 installed it has been smooth sailing. And the UI changes are excellent.

snoking

Jul 12, 2012
Visit site
Some complaints seem to be battery life, which may be more of a battery indicator issue than battery usage. I am going to run the battery now and recharge completely while turned off to retrain it. I now have The Weather Channel app eating a lot of battery, so maybe I will remove it and install it again. I update two phone to LP without issues.

eidian

Nov 11, 2014
Visit site
The improvements to the notification bar (pull-down with the extended preview) and lock screen (choose which notification you want to open) alone make the update worth downloading.

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk

eidian

Nov 11, 2014
Visit site
Some complaints seem to be battery life, which may be more of a battery indicator issue than battery usage. I am going to run the battery now and recharge completely while turned off to retrain it. I now have The Weather Channel app eating a lot of battery, so maybe I will remove it and install it again. I update two phone to LP without issues.
I installed a new battery last week myself which I think is best (only) way to improve charge life for this phone due to simple age. I'm not impressed with the battery when the phone is in use but the charge holds much better when the phone is on standby (noticed it BEFORE the update).

jexx

Nov 28, 2013
Visit site
Installed yesterday on my Moto XT1060, took about an hour land half to complete. To me it's like a new phone, other than some hic ups with setting up "smart lock", good to go. Also, I had the stock android calendar and it updated sometime in the process to the Google Calendar. I may keep it or move to something else, not a big deal for me.

sixty_four

Nov 29, 2011
Visit site
I installed a new battery last week myself which I think is best (only) way to improve charge life for this phone due to simple age. I'm not impressed with the battery when the phone is in use but the charge holds much better when the phone is on standby (noticed it BEFORE the update).

I did the same thing and replaced my battery a week or so before getting Lollipop. I noticed better standby but it wasn't night and day. My phone does seem to do incrementally better with both a fresh battery and Lollipop. Again, nothing drastic but a nice improvement.

lissuhllama

Sep 18, 2015
Visit site
Lucky people with no issues! Mine is laggy, annoying, won't update the apps, can't open email, and no notifications. I definitely can't text. But on the bright side, it started connecting to wifi again, I finally got google play to update, and i'm on the right track.

lonewolfarcher

Nov 23, 2011
Visit site
Lucky people with no issues! Mine is laggy, annoying, won't update the apps, can't open email, and no notifications. I definitely can't text. But on the bright side, it started connecting to wifi again, I finally got google play to update, and i'm on the right track.

Try downloading and installing this: here it the APK for our phones RUNNING 5.1.1!! Do not install this for 4.4.4.
http://www.apkmirror.com/apk/google-...-apk-download/

anon(205625)

Mar 4, 2011
Visit site
So if I want to avoid the update (at least for now) how do I stop the stupid notifications that keep popping up? I have searched and found various how-to's saying to disable/force stop Google Play Service, Motorola Updater, etc - but either I don't have those under apps, or I have tried disabling them and still get the notifications.

I'm on VZ, Moto X 2013, 4.4.4. I have not even applied the first of the two part Lollipop upgrade. Do I need to apply that one, and then somehow block the 2nd part of Lollipop from installing?

ttfn92

Jan 5, 2014
Visit site
GO.

I love it. Initially had some doubts but once I got the Google Play Service 8.1.15 installed it has been smooth sailing. And the UI changes are excellent.

Did you have any problems installing Google Play? Mine gets stuck at 35% and then i get an error code. I can't get email or get or send texts and my battery drains FAST.

Posted via Android Central App

Xanth269

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
Google play up to 8.1.15 can't clear cache, can not get any apps to update, phone sucks now. Gets real warm when talking. Battery drains real quick.

wplust

Apr 7, 2015
Visit site
Google play up to 8.1.15 can't clear cache, can not get any apps to update, phone sucks now. Gets real warm when talking. Battery drains real quick.
I guess I got lucky and after a couple of power off/on cycles (because the phone would freeze), it stopped giving me the "need to update play services" message and updated the Google services app to 8.1.15. Then it updated a few of my apps. I read somewhere that clearing cache from Google play services might work if you're still stuck.

Sent from my XT1060 Moto X DE

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Akshay