Phone thinks I'm somewhere I'm not, until I turn on GPS. How can I fix this?

acordeon

Feb 26, 2014
Visit site
Phone thinks I'm somewhere I'm not, until I turn on GPS

So when I'm at my house, until I open Maps or some other app that uses active GPS, my phone (unlocked 2013 Moto X) thinks I'm in Seattle. I am actually in a town an hour or so north of Seattle. There are several symptoms of this, but the easiest way to observe it is: when I first open Maps, it always initially locates me in Seattle, at a vary particular location (always the same street). Then as soon as the GPS fires up and obtains a fix, it moves to my correct location.

The biggest reason I care about this is that I want to use the Trusted Locations feature in Android to skip the unlock screen when I'm at home. This isn't working, apparently because it thinks I'm not at home.

Any ideas? This started happening around the time that I both got a new wifi router from Comcast, and installed an Android update. A friend suggested that my router's MAC address may be in a database somewhere and was probably previously used by someone in Seattle. Until it updates the database the wifi-based location services will think I'm there.

Does this seem right to everyone? Any other theories? What can I do to correct this?

KWKSLVR

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
Re: Phone thinks I'm somewhere I'm not, until I turn on GPS

Well, as a work around without having GPS on you could use Tasker to set your WiFi as a trusted location.

Try this as a stab in the dark. Enable Developer Options. Go to Settings, About Phone and tap Build Number several times. Then back out and scroll down to Developer Options. Make sure "Allow mock locations" is disabled.

Posted via the Android Central App

KWKSLVR

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
Re: Phone thinks I'm somewhere I'm not, until I turn on GPS

Also, if this ONLY happens when you're on that WiFi Router then you probably have your answer. I would try a different router or see what happens at another Hotspot.

Posted via the Android Central App

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bnutz