Original Moto X, it won't and has never updated past version 4.4.2. Why?

A

AC Question

Original Moto X, it won't and has never updated past version 4.4.2

The phone updated one time when I first got it, but ever since then it always says firmware is up to date. I know the firmware went to 4.4.4 and now it's up to 5.xxx something.

Is there a way to update this phone? It never performed very well and I got a deal on a second original version moto x which updates on it's own. I wonder what's wrong with the first one? Any ideas?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Re: Original Moto X, it won't and has never updated past version 4.4.2

Welcome to Android Central! Is it a carrier-specific phone? If so, are you using it on that carrier, or a different one? Carrier-specific phones usually have to be on their carrier in order to received OTA system updates.

zone47

Nov 25, 2015
Visit site

Both phones are unlocked developers verizon branded with a consumer cellular sim card. After not getting good performance from the first phone, I had a chance to try another that already had 4.4.4 on it. I swapped the sim card in and it worked much better. Tonight it automatically updated to 5.1 ... with the CC sim in there.
So something is goofy with that first phone. I really don't need it that bad, but would still like to get it working better for a backup if needed. Thanks for the welcome and the help!

zone47

Nov 25, 2015
Visit site

Thinking more about this, I may take that phone and put the original Verizon sim in there, then select check for updates and see what happens.... What do you think? :)

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site

Yes, that's a good idea!