Any good clues on next Motorola high-end after the X?

FrankA1

Oct 2, 2011
Visit site
Timing for me getting a new phone is around 3 months out, I was wondering what happened to the rumors of the "Hero" etc Motorola's (with Google's influence, the X being the start of that), you know the rumors with less breakable etc.

I'd be happy with a 32g Moto X (when available on Verizon) and maybe just a Kit-Kat 4.4 "kinks smoothed out a bit" Moto X would be just fine (and available in 3 months or so).

Maybe it's too early to expect any news, but, any news on what is coming after the current platform of the Moto X?

Orion78

Jan 17, 2011
Visit site
The only thing I read about is a rumor of Motorola making a phablet with a 6.3 in screen. Yeah huge. I would be interested but might be too big for you. Lol

benhmadison

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
No real news yet. I would guess they are going to ride the Moto X for some time to come.

Advertising is ramping up and once they start offering Moto Maker as an option for the other carriers it will bring more attention to the X.

Just a guess but I would think we would be looking at summer 2014 before a successor drops.

Sent from my Moto X

FrankA1

Oct 2, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the feedback and thoughts... I'll probably just grab a Moto X in the months ahead when hopefully Verizon will have a 32g option. Seems even regardless of a "next hardware model" the current one will be very serviceable for quite some time.

TechTinker

Aug 10, 2011
Visit site
Timing for me getting a new phone is around 3 months out, I was wondering what happened to the rumors of the "Hero" etc Motorola's (with Google's influence, the X being the start of that), you know the rumors with less breakable etc.

High-End wise we have two. The Moto X-Play. Motorolas entrance into the phablet world using the galaxy megas 6.3" screen. I kinda wish they started more reasonable, in the 5-5.7" range. The next is the Droid Quantum, nothing besides the name.

VAYinzer

Nov 14, 2013
Visit site
I was thinking the same. Love the software on the Moto X but I'm just not sure the hardware will hold up over a 2 year contract. With the Moto G released, Motorola now has a budget friendly phone people can buy off contract. At $49-$99, the Moto X is firmly mid range, price wise. I would love to see Moto build a true hero, iPhone, GS4 beater. Would google let them do that? If Moto did build a top of the line premium phone modeled after the X, I would buy that tomorrow and I suspect a lot of other people would too.

TechTinker

Aug 10, 2011
Visit site
I was thinking the same. Love the software on the Moto X but I'm just not sure the hardware will hold up over a 2 year contract. With the Moto G released, Motorola now has a budget friendly phone people can buy off contract. At $49-$99, the Moto X is firmly mid range, price wise. I would love to see Moto build a true hero, iPhone, GS4 beater. Would google let them do that? If Moto did build a top of the line premium phone modeled after the X, I would buy that tomorrow and I suspect a lot of other people would too.

The hardware in the X will hold up over two years. The X8 is incredably optimized for battery life and overall performance (more so than S800), and with enhanced TRIM support on the X. It'll probably be one of the few devices that holds up over two years. Every iPhone/Gs4/note/one owner who went to the x says its the best. But it will take another one or two to convince the apple/sammy sheep herds.

sanchitgrover

Feb 22, 2013
Visit site
Motorola is yet to become a full phone maker . Moto x is not available to much countries with moto maker option. So i think there is some time untill they release another flag ship

tr-1

Jul 25, 2012
Visit site
I just switched from GS4 to Moto X 2 days ago and absolutely LOVE Moto X. I will never go back to Samsung again unless they deliver a Nexus like experience. I spent about 7 months with it and just could never get used to it.

Anyway, I think Moto X is nearly perfect in every way but at the same time, there's plenty of room for Moto to build another phone. These are the only things I'd improve/add for Moto Z (my made up model):
  1. 5" 1080p screen. This is pretty much the only thing I liked about GS4. Since Moto X is packed so compact, I'm sure they can do the same for a 5" screen and the battery life will be just fine since it's going to be bigger.
  2. Slightly better camera. I did a lot of side-by-side comparison shots and GS4 is better overall but not by much. The difference is more apparent in dark rooms.
  3. Better quality vibrator. That thing is so rough in Moto X.

And this is it! Well, throw in stereo speakers for good measure but I don't care about that. I love the build quality and everything else about Moto X.

Last edited:

tr-1

Jul 25, 2012
Visit site
What don't you like about the gs4?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

Laggy in comparison to Moto X or Nexus 7 (which I also own).

Capacitive button layout drove me nuts. Not only are they not very responsive, you don't even know when Menu is actually available. I mean, with SW keys, you see the menu stacked dots icon. With a HW button it's always there even if there's no such option... So you end up pressing it with no result. The layout is also backwards from pure android.

Google Now swipe up activation just isn't possible. You can install some launcher but you have to swipe from a different GUI spot than pure android.

Build quality very poor. The back cover has a spider web crack and I've had this phone in a case since minute 1. Glossy exterior means you gotta have a case if you want a good resale value (scratches easy). Case = bigger phone. Cheap looking front with those dots under the glass. GS3 was much classier.

Touch Wiz is a nightmare. You plug in headphones and it brings up this useless row of icons in notification. And also adds a duplicate headphone icon in the task bar. To this day I'm not used to the Settings screen, which was dissected into separate tabs that don't really organize anything... Just make it harder to find stuff. All the duplicate Samsung bloat that Google already has. Except the camera app, everything else is junk. The redesign of entire OS was just unnecessary and tacky.

To be honest, I bought GS4 just to get by (had DroidX before that) and I was hoping to at least flash it at some point with GPe (and enable Nexus SW buttons) but being on Verizon kina makes it PITA (and rom has bugs) so I just don't see the point when there's a great phone like moto X.

Edit:
- when you wake up GS4, there's like a half a second delay to update the clock. Very ugly and unprofessional.
-no SMS text in notification preview.
-don't know why but entering a name in phone book search our email search stopped auto searching for auto complete (this is very recent)

Last edited:

VAYinzer

Nov 14, 2013
Visit site
The hardware in the X will hold up over two years. The X8 is incredably optimized for battery life and overall performance (more so than S800), and with enhanced TRIM support on the X. It'll probably be one of the few devices that holds up over two years. Every iPhone/Gs4/note/one owner who went to the x says its the best. But it will take another one or two to convince the apple/sammy sheep herds.

Thanks for the insight, I appreciate it. I would still like to see a Moto X with full 1080p screen, great processor, and an elite camera. I'm considering between a Nexus 5 and the Moto X, but leaning towards the X due to the software. Would hate to buy it then see a new Moto X (or Z) that's world class.

Thanks.

xpeacemaker

Sep 27, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the insight, I appreciate it. I would still like to see a Moto X with full 1080p screen, great processor, and an elite camera. I'm considering between a Nexus 5 and the Moto X, but leaning towards the X due to the software. Would hate to buy it then see a new Moto X (or Z) that's world class.

Thanks.

I feel the same way. As much as I know this phone probably runs great right now. My question is, how will it hold up over the next few s/w revisions. Since I am on VZ, I probably won't get them anyway, so maybe I shouldn't even worry :(

Reviewers did note that the X had some stutters during game play--more than the higher powered devices.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Motorola is yet to become a full phone maker . Moto x is not available to much countries with moto maker option. So i think there is some time untill they release another flag ship

Moto Maker in the style of the Moto X will probably never open up to more than a handful of countries, if it even expands outside of the US.

With regards to customization, Motorola will probably expand on what it's doing with the Moto G - interchangeable covers that the user can swap out rather than custom from the factory.

TechTinker

Aug 10, 2011
Visit site

Thanks.

Honestly with Motorolas X and G. I don't think Moto going the way as everyone else is. I think the X-Play might have a 1080p screen because it'll be a phablet. I hope Moto expands on the X8 and does not get rid of what they done. Custom processors are almsot always better than straight out of factory. The cameras fine for me, but I guess to shut people up, they'll keep working on it.
It's like buying a s4 this year ("great specs, great beast") than the s5 out next year. Yes theres going to be a better X but not for a while, theres going to be a better n6. Late next year for both probably. Buy now while you have time. :p

tr-1

Jul 25, 2012
Visit site
I feel the same way. As much as I know this phone probably runs great right now. My question is, how will it hold up over the next few s/w revisions. Since I am on VZ, I probably won't get them anyway, so maybe I shouldn't even worry :(

Reviewers did note that the X had some stutters during game play--more than the higher powered devices.

Believe it or not Verizon is already testing 4.4 for moto X. They were also the first to release 4.3 for GS4 in USA (AFAIK). Also, Android in only getting more efficient so if anything, moto x will probably run even better in 2 years... I think we have plateaued and there's not much to gain with better specs.

Orion78

Jan 17, 2011
Visit site
Honestly with Motorolas X and G. I don't think Moto going the way as everyone else is. I think the X-Play might have a 1080p screen because it'll be a phablet. I hope Moto expands on the X8 and does not get rid of what they done. Custom processors are almsot always better than straight out of factory. The cameras fine for me, but I guess to shut people up, they'll keep working on it.
It's like buying a s4 this year ("great specs, great beast") than the s5 out next year. Yes theres going to be a better X but not for a while, theres going to be a better n6. Late next year for both probably. Buy now while you have time. :p
Yeah I'm really interested on hearing more about this rumored X-play.

JRDroid

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
What don't you like about the gs4?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

Other than it being a terrible phone? Cheap feeling, bloated software, still looks like Gingerbread, slow updates relative to Motorola (X is getting soak tested on 4.4 right now) and HTC devices (the One has 4.3 and will have 4.4 by the end of January).

DroidGuy1990

Nov 6, 2013
Visit site
Word around town in Texas where the Moto X is built, Alliance, TX, They received shipments for parts that allow interchangeable parts but was not part of the Project Ara...From what I "Heard" It was a base of like a Moto X with a 5' Screen, same form factor, but with interchangeable parts or at least interchangeable camera and body. Take this with a HUGE grain of salt but like think Motorola's Project Ara but with a device like the Moto X, being able to swap out processors, RAM, Memory, for an upgrade as it comes out....Project Ara was to see if it was possible and the next phase would be to implement that into a consumer based phone that hits both the average joe's who will keep there phone and be happy with current specs and also the Tech Lovers who need bleeding edge 24/7....Even if this is all False information I am so pleased to see the direction moto is headed with the Moto G and Project ARA