Any good clues on next Motorola high-end after the X?

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
I bet you early next year Motorola will release a new model to sell side by side with G and X. It's gonna be a 5" model built very similarly to X but with better screen/camera

Just guessing or were there rumors?

Posted via Android Central App

tr-1

Jul 25, 2012
Visit site
Just guessing or were there rumors?

Just a guess. Droid Maxx is Verizon exclusive so why wouldn't Motorola want to make a similar phone for everyone? The demand is clearly there (look at the sales of 5" phones).
The only question is whether there's some sort of agreement with Verizon not to make such phone... But I doubt it

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
Just a guess. Droid Maxx is Verizon exclusive so why wouldn't Motorola want to make a similar phone for everyone? The demand is clearly there (look at the sales of 5" phones).
The only question is whether there's some sort of agreement with Verizon not to make such phone... But I doubt it

Why make a new phone? Just copy it and give it a different name and GSM radios:

Moto Y (or they could call it the TheseAreNotTheDroidsYou'reLookingFor Maxx

Voila!

That'd annoy Verizon but would be funny as heck (simply because it would annoy Verizon) and would likely sell well.

Optimus G Pro

Last edited:

jaj324

Banned
Aug 20, 2013
Visit site
I remember the days when AT&T and Motorola were inseparable. If Moto had a new phone, AT&T got it first. Of course this was before the iphone arrived. I would love to see a truly high end motorola on AT&T next year. I think it would sell very well and may finally cause Samsung to get serious about build quality and revamping bloatwiz.

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
I remember the days when AT&T and Motorola were inseparable. If Moto had a new phone, AT&T got it first. Of course this was before the iphone arrived. I would love to see a truly high end motorola on AT&T next year. I think it would sell very well and may finally cause Samsung to get serious about build quality and revamping bloatwiz.

It's going to take a few years for Moto to begin to sell well again. The X didn't sell very well this year...

tr-1

Jul 25, 2012
Visit site
Why make a new phone? Just copy it and give it a different name and GSM radios:

Moto Y (or they could call it the TheseAreNotTheDroidsYou'reLookingFor Maxx

Voila!

That'd annoy Verizon but would be funny as heck (simply because it would annoy Verizon) and would likely sell well.

Optimus G Pro

I just want the screen to be better (similar to GS4) and a better camera. The rest of internals are just fine, I agree.

Paisley

Aug 3, 2013
Visit site
I wish moto would release the next flagship in the May/June time frame. Something to directly compete with the Samsung and HTC flagships.

The X was really more of a proof of concept than anything. They could take what they know now from it and release a real market changer. A no compromise beast with all the X goodness plus some substantial spec bumps. It would be amazing. But sadly, as impressed as I am with the new moto, they still smell of the boring moto of old. I don't see them doing anything this bold.

what if the concept was brains not brawn and they still want to make a brains over brawn? what does a moto beast do? with a pocket phone are you playing 3D video games? Not sure that's what they would be going for. A beast phone usually is big bright screen, which would mean no more active notifications, ='s no more brains. always listening is gone b/c beast phones need battery life, again, no more brains. They already make that beast phone with no active listening no active notifications, it's the N5. You need a bigger battery for a beast phone, which is a bigger phone, so it is just another N5/Sammy. Why would they go head to head with dime a dozen raw power look at me i have the fastest processor for games and movies beast phone? lol. that's the guy working out his beach muscles in the gym. Great, if I ever get pinned under a car that guy will come in handy. Lol. Other than that, no thanks.… Not what moto was going for at *all* with the moto.

Moto will have a time of things getting people to understand that. It’s a new concept and people have a hard time adjusting their schemata. But they’ll keep adding the brains til people finally *get it*

Last edited:

NoYankees44

Dec 20, 2011
Visit site
what if the concept was brains not brawn and they still want to make a brains over brawn? what does a moto beast do? with a pocket phone are you playing 3D video games? Not sure that's what they would be going for. A beast phone usually is big bright screen, which would mean no more active notifications, ='s no more brains. always listening is gone b/c beast phones need battery life, again, no more brains. They already make that beast phone with no active listening no active notifications, it's the N5. You need a bigger battery for a beast phone, which is a bigger phone, so it is just another N5/Sammy. Why would they go head to head with dime a dozen raw power look at me i have the fastest processor for games and movies beast phone? lol. that's the guy working out his beach muscles in the gym. Great, if I ever get pinned under a car that guy will come in handy. Lol. Other than that, no thanks.… Not what moto was going for at *all* with the moto.

Moto will have a time of things getting people to understand that. It’s a new concept and people have a hard time adjusting their schemata. But they’ll keep adding the brains til people finally *get it*

There is nothing keeping moto from(as you put it) choosing both brain and brawn. To only try for one is quite frankly stupid.

Just because moto has some good ideas with this phone does not mean they are suddenly trying harder or focusing on different things than HTC or LG or Samsung. What are knock knock, blink feed, and eye controls? They are all attempts to change how you use your device. Just like active notifications and always listening. So you might like moto's new features more, that does not make them any more ground breaking or "smarter" It just makes them better for you.

And did you see how hard moto toted the X8 chip? It was just as big of a deal at the unveil as Samsung claiming 1080p screen or s800. Actually bigger probably. They are trying the bigger is always better hardware marketing just like everyone else. They are just spinning their webs of BS differently.

That is why going head to head with HTC and Samsung in the spring with a moto x1.5 could be a great opportunity. Fight their opponents directly. Benefit from the buzz they generate instead of being over shadowed by the soon to be launched new iphone. Show the android world with side by side comparisons how much better their their products are. Force the issue instead of asking everyone to compare the now old moto x or to the X2 that will be released months later. Then in November launch the X2 with full redesign and tons of new features. With moto fully on android's radar and the competition directly challenged already, selling to the average consumer and taking market share away from the iphone will be much easier.

Paisley

Aug 3, 2013
Visit site
There is nothing keeping moto from(as you put it) choosing both brain and brawn. To only try for one is quite frankly stupid.

Just because moto has some good ideas with this phone does not mean they are suddenly trying harder or focusing on different things than HTC or LG or Samsung. What are knock knock, blink feed, and eye controls? They are all attempts to change how you use your device. Just like active notifications and always listening. So you might like moto's new features more, that does not make them any more ground breaking or "smarter" It just makes them better for you.

And did you see how hard moto toted the X8 chip? It was just as big of a deal at the unveil as Samsung claiming 1080p screen or s800. Actually bigger probably. They are trying the bigger is always better hardware marketing just like everyone else. They are just spinning their webs of BS differently.

That is why going head to head with HTC and Samsung in the spring with a moto x1.5 could be a great opportunity. Fight their opponents directly. Benefit from the buzz they generate instead of being over shadowed by the soon to be launched new iphone. Show the android world with side by side comparisons how much better their their products are. Force the issue instead of asking everyone to compare the now old moto x or to the X2 that will be released months later. Then in November launch the X2 with full redesign and tons of new features. With moto fully on android's radar and the competition directly challenged already, selling to the average consumer and taking market share away from the iphone will be much easier.

I always thought, and maybe it’s my interpretation, that the Moto X was making features the priority while having a processor that could run it as fast as a sammy. And you’re right, I do find nudging my phone or just taking my phone out of my pocket better than knocking on it, and they can do knock knock with a Sammy phone but Sammy can’t run always listening and active notifications all day. The X’s features, which I saw as a priority for them (and which are what X owners like about it) isn’t suited for a phone that is geared for being the fastest at running 3D games and watching movies or whatever it is that these beast phones are for (I honestly have no idea what they’re for). With Sammy, et al., and their eye scrolling, etc, you’re talking about a beast phone first with features that it can run without compromising the fastest processor off the assembly line, but 2 of the main features that the X has mean that the most power hungry beast specs you can find, doesn’t work. That’s what they were trying to explain with their X8. People could not understand why it has “dual” instead of “quad”, X8 isn’t a selling point the way “bigger brighter screen” is it’s an explanation. Trying to explain why it’s not 4 cores beast processor, it’s cores that work to run their features and it’s not just 2. And we all know what sams (and the rest of the bigger and more is better beasts) priorities are: as much hardware as you can put on a phone. They run a 5” lcd screen, and run a power hungry processor - always listening and notifications breathing all the time mean you make a choice: specs for features, or specs for brightness with fractions of a second faster than the next guy. or do both and have miserable battery life. To do the beast model plus our newest features of the day means the 5” LCD screen and as many cores you can put on one chip take priority over everything else, whereas everything about the X has been features are the priority. And I could be wrong. The beast phone crowd has a priority, more cores, bigger brighter screen, and the phone with the most hardware wins and in order to have the most it must take priority. Yes, a good model for success is 4 is greater than 2 and look at this nifty thing. I just don't see how that was any part of moto was doing.

Last edited:

ultravisitor

Aug 29, 2010
Visit site
The beast phone crowd has a priority, more cores, bigger brighter screen, and the phone with the most hardware wins and in order to have the most it must take priority.

And the problem with that mode of thinking is that no matter what those phones will always become outdated by other newer devices with higher specs, which drives many of those people to abandon their phones in order to get the newest phone with MOAR cores, MOAR screen, MOAR EVERYTHING HARDWARE.

Motorola doesn't seem to be playing that game.

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
And the problem with that mode of thinking is that those phones will always become outdated by other newer devices, which drives many of those people to abandon their phones in order to get the newest phone with MOAR cores, MOAR screen, MOAR EVERYTHING HARDWARE.

Motorola doesn't seem to be playing that game.

That?s Samsung?s game and there are many that are happy with it. I'd love to see a Motorola beast phone though. Prolly won't, but it'd be neat to see.

gp8.3

bacon.jay

Jun 27, 2012
Visit site
I just want a Moto X with a MicroSD card slot, better camera, and Super AMOLED instead of the regular AMOLED, in the same form-factor. That would make me very happy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RemusGhostofRome