Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast
Like Tree27Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    8,978 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock 4.4 (KitKat)

Default What's the one thing that Moto could add to make you buy a Moto X2?

If Moto (Lenovo) were to add one thing to the next generation Moto X that will make you buy the device what would it be? Is it battery size? Processing power? Qi wireless charging compatibility?

Does it really matter what the device has as long as it further refines everything the Moto X currently does? The Moto X is a darn good phone and is definitely something to consider if you are currently in the market for a replacement device. I know a lot of people might want the "latest and greatest" and the highest spec'd phone possible - the perfect balance of hardware and software refinements is what made the device such a success in the first place.
    Ry

Global Posts
    8,784 Global Posts

Default Re: What's the one thing that Moto could add to make you buy a Moto X2?

2800 mAh battery while only increasing the thickness (keep it curved) of the device.

CPU/GPU/file system/RAM - my phone is not lagging.
    Android Central Moderator

Motorola Moto X (212.55.26.ghost_verizon.Verizon.en.US, KitKat 4.4.4)
    Motorola Moto G (210.12.41.falcon_cdma.Verizon.en.US, KitKat 4.4.4)
    Google Nexus 7 2012 (LRX21P, Lollipop 5.0)
    What other devices have I had? Here's my phone timeline.
    Support your favorite Android app and game developers. Pay for apps! And don't block ads!

Community Rules & Guidelines - Mobile Nations Forums

I swear there is a thread right next to this one with the same question.

For me it's qi charging for the hardware. But maybe it's just the software side that matters, I want more features and ways to use Touchless Control and Active Display. Seems like they can improve it for the current Moto X with software updates.

ROM
    Speed Rom Jellybean

A significantly better camera is really all i want. My old phone (HTC Amaze) took way better pics despite being 2 yrs older. Asking for SD card support is probably pointless but that would be nice too. Removable battery? FM radio and some more weather sensors.

Posted via Android Central App
    Nathan-NL and John Doe40 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by someguy01234 View Post
    I swear there is a thread right next to this one with the same question.

For me it's qi charging for the hardware. But maybe it's just the software side that matters, I want more features and ways to use Touchless Control and Active Display. Seems like they can improve it for the current Moto X with software updates.
    Agreed. Don't know much about it, OIS for camera +pixels. work to make it the best available.
    Qi wireless is big. Of course the width, depth size is perfect. Keep about the same "hand"print.

Sent from my XT1053 using Tapatalk

There is no one thing that would make me upgrade from my X to an X2. They would need several hardware changes (Qi and a better camera) as well as moer useful software features that were X2 exclusive. However, they shouldn't make the software features X2 only just to sell phones, they should only keep the ones that the X cannot run well X2 exclusive.
    John Doe40 likes this.

Global Posts
    707 Global Posts

A decent camera.
    Nathan-NL and John Doe40 like this.

not built by lenovo

ROM
    Viper

Quote Originally Posted by Unicorn Rancher View Post
    not built by lenovo
    I am sorry to tell, but Motorola as a company is dead. Their facilities will be run by Lenovo and Motorola will just be a US brand. Nothing more.
    Moto X 2014(stock for the time being) ---- Asus Tf300(unlocked on CROMI)
    Galaxy S3(30ft fall...)
    Htc Rezound(s-off on ViperRez)

Regarding Camera:

Outdoors the camera is fine, in fact better than fine: Great!
    Low light captures are challenged.
    Ha, OIS would help with some of my blurry shots.

Great camera, larger battery, high end CPU, removable battery

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk 2

Quote Originally Posted by NoYankees44 View Post
    I am sorry to tell, but Motorola as a company is dead. Their facilities will be run by Lenovo and Motorola will just be a US brand. Nothing more.
    Lenovo has only aquired one American company before, IBMs PC division. They did fantastic with it. Yes, they killed the IBM brand on the machines, but they brought the IBM expertise to their line of computers and kept the ThinkPad brand and spirit. Even 9 years later, ThinkPads are still one of the most populare business laptop lines and Lenovo has become the number 1 PC manufacturer in the world. I truly trust that they will do good by Motorola. Lenovo has shown that they purchase companies that are doing good in an area that Lenovo is weak in and embrace that company's expertise.

I also am looking for a much better camera and pro features. I returned my Moto X back in November almost exclusively because of the camera. That said, the Moto X has been the only Android device that I have actually liked (HTC One was close). If the X2 integrates a better camera (not necessarily more MP) with the ability to change iso, manual focus, and shutter time, I would likely be moving back to Motorola.

Global Posts
    1,339 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

A lot better camera, larger battery. Design is wonderful.

Tapatalk via Moto X

Note 3 size and features

Quote Originally Posted by srkmagnus View Post
    If Moto (Lenovo) were to add one thing to the next generation Moto X that will make you buy the device what would it be? Is it battery size? Processing power? Qi wireless charging compatibility?

Does it really matter what the device has as long as it further refines everything the Moto X currently does? The Moto X is a darn good phone and is definitely something to consider if you are currently in the market for a replacement device. I know a lot of people might want the "latest and greatest" and the highest spec'd phone possible - the perfect balance of hardware and software refinements is what made the device such a success in the first place.
    I'm pretty satisfied with the phone, and I don't think there is any one thing that would prompt me to upgrade it. But if they made a very similar phone, with the same size and capabilties, but it ALSO had a larger battery and wireless charging, I probably would upgrade.

My problem with this phone was and continues to be the subpar camera. Low light performance is a joke, lens flares aplenty and color reproduction is off quite a bit.

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk
  18. Thread Author  Thread Author    #18  

Global Posts
    8,978 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock 4.4 (KitKat)

Quote Originally Posted by Puzzlegal View Post
    I'm pretty satisfied with the phone, and I don't think there is any one thing that would prompt me to upgrade it. But if they made a very similar phone, with the same size and capabilties, but it ALSO had a larger battery and wireless charging, I probably would upgrade.
    Those would be some nice add-ons to the already good device. I don't have the Moto X, but did consider it before purchasing a Nexus 5.

1. Better camera.
    2. Wireless charging.
    3. A bit more PPI.
    4. 5" screen (as a separate model to satisfy both camps).

If at least 2 (the first 2) are not met, I will move on to Nexus 5 or 6.

Camera, camera, camera! If Moto wants the X2 to knock Samsung and HTC out of the water, they've got to make a game-changing camera. OIS is a must and while the X2 doesn't necessarily need 20mp, it does need a MP bump.

tr-1 and John Doe40 like this.

Yeap, definitely camera. Better (larger, with better light sensitivity) sensor from different supplier (preferably Sony), preferably with OIS, with better camera software with more user-accessible adjustments (like on Nokia models and on new HTC One) and better optics. If it will make phone slightly thicker - that's not an issue. Other improvements will also be welcomed but this is the one single area where current Moto X (as well as majority of other smartphones) is severely lacking.

Quote Originally Posted by KennyMB View Post
    Note 3 size and features

Well moto is rumored to release a phablet in Q3.

Quote Originally Posted by tr-1 View Post
    1. Better camera.
    2. Wireless charging.
    3. A bit more PPI.
    4. 5" screen (as a separate model to satisfy both camps).

If at least 2 (the first 2) are not met, I will move on to Nexus 5 or 6.
    similar phones in different sizes would be an obvious next step. But I hope if they go that route they don't dumb-down the small one, like Samsung does.

#1: Better Camera
    - Larger sensor, larger pixels or possibly very high pixel count such as the Lumia 1020 with oversampling
    - Instant on camera with very fast image capture and shot to shot time
    - Interest in dual (or multi-lense) camera, as long as primary camera is even better then current camera and additional lenses can do more then just add depth information (as in HTC), such as increasing image quality, adjust for multiple lighting environments, etc... and multiple cameras don't slow image acquisition

#2: Larger Battery
    - Moto knows how to do this very well (MAXX)

#3: Better Processor
    - I'm going to own this for 2 years, I don't want a 2 year old CPU
    - Given the launch window the Snapdragon 805 would be great. I understand what they did with the first generation, however, with a flagship price, I expect flagship specs

#4: Durability
    - Water/Dust Resistance or Proof
    - More resistant to shattering and scratching

#5: Screen
    - Brightness, Visibility in sunlight, and Color Accuracy
    - Maybe slight increase in size, without increasing phone footprint (screen should not be bigger then 5")
    - Unsure about resolution (720 vs 1080). Definitely no need to increase above 1080

Global Posts
    8,983 Global Posts
    ROM
    Slim Kat 4.4.4

Quote Originally Posted by Eli_C View Post
    #1: Better Camera
    - Larger sensor, larger pixels or possibly very high pixel count such as the Lumia 1020 with oversampling
    - Instant on camera with very fast image capture and shot to shot time
    - Interest in dual (or multi-lense) camera, as long as primary camera is even better then current camera and additional lenses can do more then just add depth information (as in HTC), such as increasing image quality, adjust for multiple lighting environments, etc... and multiple cameras don't slow image acquisition

#2: Larger Battery
    - Moto knows how to do this very well (MAXX)

#3: Better Processor
    - I'm going to own this for 2 years, I don't want a 2 year old CPU
    - Given the launch window the Snapdragon 805 would be great. I understand what they did with the first generation, however, with a flagship price, I expect flagship specs

#4: Durability
    - Water/Dust Resistance or Proof
    - More resistant to shattering and scratching

#5: Screen
    - Brightness, Visibility in sunlight, and Color Accuracy
    - Maybe slight increase in size, without increasing phone footprint (screen should not be bigger then 5")
    - Unsure about resolution (720 vs 1080). Definitely no need to increase above 1080
    None of these things is in line with Moto's hardware strategy...
    #1 More pixels doesn't mean better pictures, but I agree that the camera needs to be improved.
    #2 If you want a larger battery, get the Maxx. The Moto X fit very well in the hands, so they can only add so much thickness to the phone without affecting ergonomics, and they need to keep the curved back
    #3 This goes against everything they were trying to do with their Droid line and Moto X. They proved that you can have stunning performance without 4 cores clocked over 2GHz. They used the S4 pro for their X8 chip, but the phone still outperformed basically every other flagship at the time.
    # 4 That will make the phone larger and thicker, so I'll pass.
    #5 I hope they keep the ~4.7 inch screen. Larger is better for media consuming, but that's what I have a tablet for. I can reach all corners on the Moto X, but not on my S4.

Sent from my Galaxy S4 running SlimKat 4.4.2
    "We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology." - Carl Sagan
    Ry and Scratchyjam like this.
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast