Moto X2: 4.7" vs 5" screen

Eli_C

Mar 10, 2014
Visit site
I was wondering how well a 5" screen would fit in nearly the same form factor as the current Moto X:

4.7" screen
104.0 x 58.5mm

5" screen
110.7 x 62.3mm

Moto X
129.3 x 65.3mm
12.65mm avg top and bottom bezel (G2 is 11.7mm)
3.4mm side bezels (G2 is 3mm)

This means you could do a 5" screen on a phone that is:
130.7mm x 66.3mm
or about 1.4mm taller and 1mm wider then the current Moto X IF the top and bottom bezel are 10mm and side bezels are 2mm.
A true edge to edge phone could actually be 3mm THINNER (less wide) then the current Moto X

Last edited:

zedorda

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
Re: 4.7" vs 5" screen

I would rather a smaller phone than a larger screen. I have tablets, laptops, and PCs for large screens. I think my next device after my Moto X is going to be a standalone smart watch.

Eli_C

Mar 10, 2014
Visit site

No need for the phone to be any smaller, just need to avoid it getting to big as many of the current top tier phones.

bricky23

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site

I went back and forth 3 times with the moto x. Each time that I left, it was because the screen was just to small. 5 would be perfect as long as the phone doesn't get much bigger

Sent from my LG-D800 using Tapatalk

CellGuy

Jul 30, 2011
Visit site

I went back and forth 3 times with the moto x. Each time that I left, it was because the screen was just to small. 5 would be perfect as long as the phone doesn't get much bigger

Sent from my LG-D800 using Tapatalk

Yep me to. Bought and sold a few myself. Really do love phone, just that 4.7 screen starts to bother me after a while. 5 would be perfect.

Posted via Android Central App

Orion78

Jan 17, 2011
Visit site

I think 5 would be the perfect screen size for the next moto x. But there will be people that want it to stay at 4.7. I'm more interested for that rumored phablet coming out this summer.

TechTinker

Aug 10, 2011
Visit site

I honestly wish for it to stay in the 4.7" range. I think the the 4"-4.7" range is perfect for phones, 5+ is a phablet. And their coming out with one. sooo.

Eli_C

Mar 10, 2014
Visit site

I honestly wish for it to stay in the 4.7" range. I think the the 4"-4.7" range is perfect for phones, 5+ is a phablet. And their coming out with one. sooo.

Overall footprint of the phone, NOT screen size determines if the phone is a phablet, IMO. So if the X2 is, 2mm taller, and 1mm wider, I think its still WAY far away from being a phablet.

I would gladly have the phone be 1mm thicker if it meant getting a MAXX battery.

russel5150

Jul 15, 2012
Visit site
The 5 inch screen and size of the droid maxx was perfect to me.. I carried it for about 7 months and for the size of the screen and battery it was really a good size.

If the moto x2 is closer to the droid maxx in size it would be the best of both worlds.. size wise anyway

Eli_C

Mar 10, 2014
Visit site
Droid Maxx:

137.5 x 71.2 x 8.5 mm

IMO, the Droid Maxx is just a little to long and wide. But as demonstrated above, from a physical perspective you can get a 5" screen on the current Moto X footprint, engineering and technology may not be there though...

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
I don't want, nor need a 5" screen. The physical size of the Moto X is one reason I chose it. If the follow up is significantly larger, I may have to look elsewhere.

zedorda

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
For me there is a clear division of usage between a phone and a tablet both I carry every where. Anything I would even want a 5" device for I use my 8.3" tablet. I only use my phone to communicate and that never requires a large screen if any at all. My goal is total hands-free communication device and a tablet. Might be Google Glass + tablet but till then my next step is a stand-alone Smart watch with a tablet.

I understand that isn't the solution for everyone but for me it provides a better experience than compromising and doing everything with one device that has to be a halfway point between large viewable screen and pocket-ability.

Eli_C

Mar 10, 2014
Visit site
Most of use don't carry a tablet with them everywhere. If I did, a 4" screen would be more then enough.

The physical size of the Moto X is one reason I chose it. If the follow up is significantly larger, I may have to look elsewhere.

I agree that the physical size is great. That's the whole point of the thread.

Is 1.7mm of height and 1mm width "significant"? I don't think so, but that's up to each person to decide.

Moving from a 4.7" to 5" screen adds 13.3% more screen. If using the dimensions in the OP, that's 1.1% taller and 1.5% wider (or 4.6% narrower if a true edge to edge phone). IMO, thats not a significant change in overall size. In fact, if you can do edge to edge, that's a 10% DECREASE in overall physical size (footprint)!

Last edited:

Eli_C

Mar 10, 2014
Visit site
I believe the increase in cost would be very significant for an insignificant improvement.

That's a completely baseless comment. How much of an increase in price? Based on what? Nexus 5 launched for $350 OFF contract with a 5" (LCD vs OLED) screen AND SD800. Moto X2 could launch WITH a SD805 & 5" screen AND smaller footprint for a launch price LESS then the original Moto X.

zedorda

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
So your trying to make your point with the Nexus 5 which Google admitted is selling below cost with Motorola's Moto X which it desperately needs to make profit on? Now I completely understand.

Green_Laser

Sep 4, 2010
Visit site
I'd honestly prefer X2 at 5"
but if it comes in at 4.7" still not bad (for me)
I'm still on a htc thunderbolt, i believe 4.3"

Last edited:

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
I agree that the physical size is great. That's the whole point of the thread.

Is 1.7mm of height and 1mm width "significant"? I don't think so, but that's up to each person to decide.

Moving from a 4.7" to 5" screen adds 13.3% more screen. If using the dimensions in the OP, that's 1.1% taller and 1.5% wider (or 4.6% narrower if a true edge to edge phone). IMO, thats not a significant change in overall size. In fact, if you can do edge to edge, that's a 10% DECREASE in overall physical size (footprint)!

Visual Phone Size Comparison

Even if the DROID MAXX had on-screen buttons, it would likely be wider than what I would want it to be. I didn't have to "get used" to the Moto X. It felt damn-near perfect for me.

And I think going to 5" brings in more 1080 vs. 720 (440 PPI vs. 290 PPI) debate. Realistically, PPI should be fine around 300 but then you'll have another Motorola phone that isn't playing the spec-war if you keep it 720.

Eli_C

Mar 10, 2014
Visit site
Visual Phone Size Comparison

Even if the DROID MAXX had on-screen buttons, it would likely be wider than what I would want it to be. I didn't have to "get used" to the Moto X. It felt damn-near perfect for me.

And I think going to 5" brings in more 1080 vs. 720 (440 PPI vs. 290 PPI) debate. Realistically, PPI should be fine around 300 but then you'll have another Motorola phone that isn't playing the spec-war if you keep it 720.

I completely agree with you on size. The Droid MAXX is to big. I have been discussing a phone significantly smaller then the MAXX, and nearly identical to the Moto X.

Yes, if you are at a 5" screen you may need to go to 1080. I understand thats an extra hit on the battery and GPU, but overall the move to 1080 may be good as thats where all the other flagship phones are at. If they move to an 800 or 805 then there is plenty of power and the newer chips should be more efficient power wise then a chip from 2+ generations ago and the integrated low power cores for audio and sensors in the 800 and 805 way reduce the cost of the 2 additional chips.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
I completely agree with you on size. The Droid MAXX is to big. I have been discussing a phone significantly smaller then the MAXX, and nearly identical to the Moto X.

Yes, if you are at a 5" screen you may need to go to 1080. I understand thats an extra hit on the battery and GPU, but overall the move to 1080 may be good as thats where all the other flagship phones are at. If they move to an 800 or 805 then there is plenty of power and the newer chips should be more efficient power wise then a chip from 2+ generations ago and the integrated low power cores for audio and sensors in the 800 and 805 way reduce the cost of the 2 additional chips.

...which is why I said MAXX with on-screen buttons - which could be smaller than the actual MAXX. At 5" diagonal, even with more edge-to-edge, it's still wider than what I would like.

And the 805 with the Adreno 420 would probably get better battery life on a 720 screen than a 1080 screen. At around 300 PPI, I'd take a 720 5" display over a 1080 5" display every time.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cyari6908