Moto E, Moto G 4G have SD card slots. What about the X+1?

Will the successor to the Moto X have an SD card slot?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
The Moto E only comes with 4GB of internal memory. The SD card slot for memory expansion was probably necessary. The new Moto G 4G adds micro SD and LTE to the 8GB model at a slightly higher pricepoint and Motorola mentioned that by adding micro SD and LTE, they've addressed two of the main criticisms of their budget device. The X+1 is likely Motorola's next release.

Do you think we'll see a micro SD card slot on the follow up to the Moto X?

Last edited:

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Re: Moto E, Moto G 4G have SD card slots? What about the X+1?

Are we answering whether or not we think there will be or whether or not we'd prefer it be there or not? (want vs expect)

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site

Are we answering whether or not we think there will be or whether or not we'd prefer it be there or not? (want vs expect)

Expect.

I don't want it, but I'm kind of expecting it now.

Eli_C

Mar 10, 2014
Visit site

I don't expect it, even with the G & E developments.

Its still a Google company, and Google clearly doesn't like sd slots. I don't think its a significant factor for most buyers, and as long as there is sufficient space on the main memory I don't care (IMO they shouldn't even make a 16gb X+1)

livetoride4666

Apr 1, 2013
Visit site
I don't expect it, even with the G & E developments.

Its still a Google company, and Google clearly doesn't like sd slots. I don't think its a significant factor for most buyers, and as long as there is sufficient space on the main memory I don't care (IMO they shouldn't even make a 16gb X+1)

What do you mean it's still a Google company?? You mean Lenovo......

Posted via Android Central App

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site

The sale isn't final/hasn't been approved yet. Motorola - A Google Company Logo is still on their site. Lenovo has agreed to purchase Moto, but it's still waiting approval and the deal has to close, etc. Once that happens, we're looking at the normal 9-18 months to start seeing Lenovo influenced designs - although they kinda said they'd let Moto remain autonomous for the most part.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
The sale isn't final/hasn't been approved yet. Motorola - A Google Company Logo is still on their site. Lenovo has agreed to purchase Moto, but it's still waiting approval and the deal has to close, etc. Once that happens, we're looking at the normal 9-18 months to start seeing Lenovo influenced designs - although they kinda said they'd let Moto remain autonomous for the most part.

Just like how Google let Motorola remain autonomous for the most part.

My guess is that Motorola looked hard at how "stock" Android treated SD cards and made their decision to include or not include memory expansion. Remember, the Moto G and Moto X did not launch on KitKat (4.3 and 4.2.2, respectively).

I don't believe Google dictated to Motorola to not support SD cards in the Moto X and first models of the Moto G.

someguy01234

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site

I don't think the deal is completed yet.

But I think for the most part they're out of Google grip now, so I think the X+1 will definitely have sdcard. I don't need it, but I hope it's not an excuse to still have 16gb storage as the base model.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Just curious, but what has anyone from Moto or Google said that makes people think that the 2013 Moto devices not having SD cards was a decision made by or influenced by the desires of Google?

Eli_C

Mar 10, 2014
Visit site
Haven't seen anything directly, but since Google has the most direct influence over Nexus devices and they don't have SD slots, I think that is where most people get the idea.

Google wants people to use the cloud.

djw39

Jun 11, 2011
Visit site
Doesn't explain why LG and HTC removed SD cards from their phones. Or Apple for that matter.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
It was pointed out in another thread that the x released on JB - and we know SD cards sucked on JB, so it's possible they didn't include it because it harmed the user experience. The question is, does it still harm it too much to justify? In a 4GB/8GB internal device, it makes perfect sense... in a 32? Maybe, for some users it's great - for some users it's adding a level of risk at the cost of better features. I'm very curious what they do especially if they explain it.

benhaube

Jan 1, 2014
Visit site
Now that Motorola has added Micro SD to the E and G I think the new X will definitely have it. I won't be using it though. Seems kind of pointless to me of I can no longer move an app to SD.

Sent from my XT1060 using AC Forums mobile app

Shilohcane

Aug 5, 2012
Visit site
Doesn't explain why LG and HTC removed SD cards from their phones. Or Apple for that matter.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

The reason SD cards are bad is explained below in Jerry's article. The short answer is SD cards are a very old format which is a complete and total security nightmare. This is due to how the FAT file system format on the SD card is designed without security permissions built into the FAT file and folder format. SD Memory Cards intellectual property rights are owned by the SD group ( Panasonic Corporation, SanDisk Corporation, and Toshiba Corporation (collectively "SD Group").;

Jerry's article;

KitKat and SD cards — what's fixed, what's broken and what's misunderstood

This is the important part that Jerry wrote;

FAT-based file systems — that's what your SD card is formatted to — are universal on Windows, Apple OSX and (most) Linux machines. Makes sense. What good is a portable drive that can't be read, right? But there's a catch. FAT-based systems don't support file and folder permissions. If I'm an app, I can't say “This is my folder. I will allow you to look inside, but you are not to put anything new in there or change any of my stuff!” on this sort of file system. It’s an all-or-nothing mess, and one that even Microsoft has moved away from in its newer versions of Windows.

If I am using a Banking, Stock Account or any App that has my credit card info I sure don't want any of that information in files created on the SD card that gives any App access to that data. That is why in Kit Kat you can no longer put Apps on SD cards since their is no security from other Apps that could steal your data off the SD card if you give those Apps permission to any files on the SD card.

Last edited:

Scott7217

May 21, 2013
Visit site
Do you think we'll see a micro SD card slot on the follow up to the Moto X?

If adding a micro SD card slot will help sales, then yes, Motorola will add one to all of its phones. Remember, Motorola still needs to compete against flagships like the Samsung Galaxy S5, Sony Xperia Z2, and the HTC One M8. All of those phones support micro SD cards.

Eli_C

Mar 10, 2014
Visit site
If adding a micro SD card slot will help sales, then yes, Motorola will add one to all of its phones. Remember, Motorola still needs to compete against flagships like the Samsung Galaxy S5, Sony Xperia Z2, and the HTC One M8. All of those phones support micro SD cards.

All of those phones are also TO BIG. Hopefully Moto stays focused on keeping the X+1 a reasonable size.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Moto's not trying to outsell Samsung. They're still trying to rebuild the brand and customer loyalty.

XTNiT-1060 through spacetime.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Since Google is officially allowing sd card in kk and the g and e support it, I would guess that the x would too. Just like how the m8 was released with kk and support the sd card. The m7 didn't support sd card, except for the China model m

dpham00, Android Central Moderator
Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3

Scott7217

May 21, 2013
Visit site
All of those phones are also TO BIG. Hopefully Moto stays focused on keeping the X+1 a reasonable size.

I'm all for having a variety of sizes when it comes to phones. People should be able to get a phone that they can hold comfortably.

Going back to micro SD cards, I'm actually surprised that more and more phones are supporting them. I thought companies were dropping them. In any case, I'm pleasantly surprised. Perhaps we can expect more phones to have micro SD card support in the future.

Eli_C

Mar 10, 2014
Visit site
I'm all for having a variety of sizes when it comes to phones. People should be able to get a phone that they can hold comfortably.

Yes, choice is good, but the Moto X is the last phone of a reasonable size, so if it gets to big, there will be no choice.