Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    2,275 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Default Always On Listening Available on All Phones Now. X2 Not So Special Now.

One of the main reasons why I went with the Moto X was the "Always on listening". I gotta admit now that Moto capabilities are coming to all other phones , the X2 isn't a compelling phone as it once was.

If the X2 comes out with some new features (unavailable to other phones) that are just as exciting and useful as "Always on listening" I may give it a second look but for now it looks like it will be just like any phone out there.

Always On For All:
    http://www.androidcentral.com/google...now-any-screen

Global Posts
    7,269 Global Posts
    ROM
    Assassin 'Droid

Default Re: Always On Listening Available on All Phones Now. X2 Not So Special Now.

There's still a bit of a step between what Google just rolled out and motos ability to listen when your phone is off and away from you, but that gap did just get closed a little.

XTNiT-1060 through spacetime.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Global Posts
    2,275 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Default Re: Always On Listening Available on All Phones Now. X2 Not So Special Now.

Are you sure the update doesn't work when the screen is off for all phones?
    Ry

Global Posts
    8,792 Global Posts

Seems like Google has borrowed a lot from Motorola.

Always listening (Google Search update)
    Trusted Bluetooth in L
    Message syncing between phone and Chrome (Motorola Connect)
    Android One (Moto G/Moto E)
    Android Central Moderator

Motorola Moto X (212.55.26.ghost_verizon.Verizon.en.US, KitKat 4.4.4)
    Motorola Moto G (210.12.41.falcon_cdma.Verizon.en.US, KitKat 4.4.4)
    Google Nexus 7 2012 (LRX21P, Lollipop 5.0)
    What other devices have I had? Here's my phone timeline.
    Support your favorite Android app and game developers. Pay for apps! And don't block ads!

Community Rules & Guidelines - Mobile Nations Forums
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Global Posts
    2,275 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

I'm cool with Google rolling out great Moto features to everyone else as long as when I buy the next Moto it comes with some great new feature that isn't released to all for at least a year or till the next Moto comes to market.

Global Posts
    7,269 Global Posts
    ROM
    Assassin 'Droid

Quote Originally Posted by deesugar View Post
    Are you sure the update doesn't work when the screen is off for all phones?
    I'm sure that the update to Google search doesn't work that way.

Nexus through spacetime.

Wondering what Android versions the updated app will run on? No update for us antiques still on JB or, not yet anyway.

It doesn't bother me at all that great features should be shared within android. Just like the way I've been begging for Samsung's multi window

Posted via Android Central App

Quote Originally Posted by shaytoon21 View Post
    It doesn't bother me at all that great features should be shared within android. Just like the way I've been begging for Samsung's multi window

Doesn't seems like it's always on though. Unless I'm mistaken it's more like 'on when phone is open/awake'. Lol.

And 2nd the want for the multi window.

Quote Originally Posted by paisley99 View Post
    Doesn't seems like it's always on though. Unless I'm mistaken it's more like 'on when phone is open/awake'. Lol.

i mean ive never had issues with google now, it always turned on whenever i asked for it, without ever touching the phone, but thats only when it can hear me, not in a loud crowded stadium obviously, you know? but that multiwindow, man thats the killer right there, youtube while texting or whatever, thats the best, i hope L will implement that.
    Ry

Global Posts
    8,792 Global Posts

I wonder how this affects battery life.
    Android Central Moderator

Motorola Moto X (212.55.26.ghost_verizon.Verizon.en.US, KitKat 4.4.4)
    Motorola Moto G (210.12.41.falcon_cdma.Verizon.en.US, KitKat 4.4.4)
    Google Nexus 7 2012 (LRX21P, Lollipop 5.0)
    What other devices have I had? Here's my phone timeline.
    Support your favorite Android app and game developers. Pay for apps! And don't block ads!

Community Rules & Guidelines - Mobile Nations Forums

Quote Originally Posted by shaytoon21 View Post
    i mean ive never had issues with google now, it always turned on whenever i asked for it, without ever touching the phone, but thats only when it can hear me, not in a loud crowded stadium obviously, you know? but that multiwindow, man thats the killer right there, youtube while texting or whatever, thats the best, i hope L will implement that.
    hmmm. i've never seen anyone be able to speak to their samsung with it off and have it wake up. Is that the part that's new?

hmmm. i've never seen anyone be able to speak to their samsung with it off and have it wake up.
    samsung?? lol i thought we were talking about moto x. my bad

Global Posts
    192 Global Posts

The X has a single core chip dedicated to always listening... Most phones do not. OK Google always listening kills my nexus 5, but doesn't on my X.

It's a step in the right direction for other phones, but moto still does it better as it was designed to do so!

~Keith

Nexus 5 - 4.4.2 (rooted) on T-Mobile
    Nexus 7 (2012)- 4.4.2 (rooted)

Quote Originally Posted by kd0h View Post
    The X has a single core chip dedicated to always listening... Most phones do not. OK Google always listening kills my nexus 5, but doesn't on my X.
    Actually, any phone with a SD 800, 801 or 805 has this ability built in, no separate chip required, though the OEMs haven't baked in the always listening low power feature in the software.

Global Posts
    455 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by Ry View Post
    Seems like Google has borrowed a lot from Motorola.

Always listening (Google Search update)
    Trusted Bluetooth in L
    Message syncing between phone and Chrome (Motorola Connect)
    Android One (Moto G/Moto E)
    Google didn't borrow that, Google owns it. This is one of the main reasons they bought Motorola. Also, even though they are selling Motorola to Lenovo, Google still will own all of the patents. So we should fully expect everything that Motorola has done on their recent phone releases to be incorporated into Android.

Posted via a beautiful Ebony backed Moto X or the amazing Nexus 10 using the totally awesome Android Central App
    Tim
    Droid 4
    Nexus 10
    Lapdock 500 Pro

It's the x8 system that's special

Posted from my Nexus 7 2013 running Android L or Samsung galaxy S5

Quote Originally Posted by thatguy97 View Post
    It's the x8 system that's special

Posted from my Nexus 7 2013 running Android L or Samsung galaxy S5
    X8 is marketing and nothing more. Same features are available in sd800+

Global Posts
    455 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by Eli_C View Post
    X8 is marketing and nothing more. Same features are available in sd800+
    I beg to differ. The 2 low power cores are not ARM based. They are ultra low power chips that allow Motorola to do things with their phones that no other phones can currently do. And all of this is done with a relatively small battery compared to other phones. Do some research and you will find out how unique the X8 is. And this was just Motorola's first salvo. The X+1 should be amazing!

Posted via a beautiful Ebony backed Moto X or the amazing Nexus 10 using the totally awesome Android Central App
    Tim
    Droid 4
    Nexus 10
    Lapdock 500 Pro
    PookiePrancer likes this.

The same low power features are available in sd800+.

Qualcomm 800 floodgates open as Moto X loses its edge - SlashGear

So x8 is marketing for an older generation of silicone to make it sound better.

Global Posts
    7,269 Global Posts
    ROM
    Assassin 'Droid

The x8 is the same hardware as the s600 sans two cores with the two coprocessors added. The s800+ does indeed have the capabilities possible but so far none has made the same use of them.

XTNiT-1060 through spacetime. Android Central Moderator.

Global Posts
    1,154 Global Posts
    ROM
    Lollipop 5.0

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Spock View Post
    The x8 is the same hardware as the s600 sans two cores with the two coprocessors added. The s800+ does indeed have the capabilities possible but so far none has made the same use of them.

XTNiT-1060 through spacetime. Android Central Moderator.
    If the rumors of the next Moto X having an s800 chip pan out, that may change in the next couple of months.

Global Posts
    22,260 Global Posts
    ROM
    Liquidsmooth ROM

Quote Originally Posted by Ry View Post
    I wonder how this affects battery life.
    I tried it on the M8, and my battery life tanked a bit. Enough for me to say no thanks.

Phone Timeline
    'If we could change ourselves, the tendencies in the world would also change.' - Mahatma Gandhi
    Community Guidelines and also here

As long as phone is not locked, it listens.
    If the phone is locked the display must be on and you can bypass the lockscreen if it recognizes your voice.

I have the always on feature turned on my HTC M8. I was playing a video about a new Motorola device where the guy said " a Google hangouts..." And it triggered my voice search! Everytime. Has this happened to anyone else. Here's the vid if anyone wants to try.

Youtube.com/watch?v=NAwGDd9jhAQ

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast