Moto X+1 May Not Have Stereo Speakers

deesugar

Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
I find it interesting that of all the people that have had a prototype of the X+1 in their hands, none of them heard any stereo sound coming out of it. This wouldn't be the first time we've seen a phone that seems to have stereo speakers turn out to be false. The current Nexus 5 looked like it had stereo speakers but turned out one of them was a microphone:

The Nexus 5 speaker: Yes, there's only one — and software may be hurting what you hear [updated] | Android Central

If the phone had true stereo speakers that would be a huge improvement. Anyone who's picked up an HTC One knows how much of a difference it makes.

It would be a huge disappointment if the next Moto X didn't have stereo speakers at this point.

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
The X may not have front facing speakers, but it's the loudest phone I've heard. Certainly loud enough to use without having to cup the phone.

happasaiyan

Jun 16, 2010
Visit site
I find it interesting that of all the people that have had a prototype of the X+1 in their hands, none of them heard any stereo sound coming out of it. This wouldn't be the first time we've seen a phone that seems to have stereo speakers turn out to be false. The current Nexus 5 looked like it had stereo speakers but turned out one of them was a microphone:

The Nexus 5 speaker: Yes, there's only one — and software may be hurting what you hear [updated] | Android Central

If the phone had true stereo speakers that would be a huge improvement. Anyone who's picked up an HTC One knows how much of a difference it makes.

It would be a huge disappointment if the next Moto X didn't have stereo speakers at this point.
It's because they aren't stereo speakers.

The larger version is slated to have stereo speakers, though.

deesugar

Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
The X may not have front facing speakers, but it's the loudest phone I've heard. Certainly loud enough to use without having to cup the phone.

I guess I expect more out of phones today then you. But if not cupping makes you happy, go on with your bad self.

elian

May 20, 2014
Visit site
What makes the HTC speakers sound so good?
- The fact that they're good
- The fact that they're on the front of the phone
- The fact that there are two
- The fact that they have stereo sound

The first two seem pretty logical to me and I would expect the third to have some impact too. But the fourth? Is stereo vs non-stereo really relevant with speakers so close to each other?

Isn't there (a lot) more to audio quality than loudness alone?

salmanahmad

Jul 30, 2014
Visit site
Using a Nexus 5 speaker performance has never really mattered for me, I am more concerned with the specifications of this new Motorola device.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Using a Nexus 5 speaker performance has never really mattered for me, I am more concerned with the specifications of this new Motorola device.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

The way the Moto X performed, specs should be the least of one's concern for the X+1 (save camera).

benhaube

Jan 1, 2014
Visit site
I guess I expect more out of phones today then you. But if not cupping makes you happy, go on with your bad self.

For me the moto x has plenty good sound quality. Personally instead of front facing stereo speakers if rather have smaller bezels.

Sent from my XT1060 using AC Forums mobile app

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Motorola has always had great speakers.

..of the devices I've owned.

Posted via Android Central App (Moto X)

delrey1900

Mar 22, 2010
Visit site
As long as it sounds clear while on speaker phone, I'm good. If I need sound outside of my headphones, I connect to my main stereo, computer speakers, or my speakers in the garage.

deesugar

Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
The Moto X may have an ok mono speaker but that's missing the point which is stereo speakers are better. Cars no longer have mono speakers. TV's have stereo speakers, laptops have stereo speakers and home audio has gone way beyond mono and hasn't looked back. Stereo speakers would be an obvious improvement for the Moto X brand and if there aren't any notable improvements in a new phone then typically people don't feel compelled spend money on a newer version.

kansasandroid1

Jul 30, 2013
Visit site
The speakers on the Moto X are surprisingly really loud. I love the idea of front facing speakers and HTC really has mastered the whole concept. The renders I have seen of the ones on the X+1, I am not a huge fan of. It creates necessary bezel space and the chrome bars over them stick out way to much. I think maybe they might look better on the black model and hopefully not stick out as much.

Puzzlegal

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site
Phones are too small for stereo to do much. My vote is for the smaller, shorter phone with smaller bezels over stereo. Mostly I just listen to it as a phone, or as google now. If I want to listen to music, I attach headphones, or speakers, or have it talk to my car's speakers via Bluetooth.

I can think of several features that would tempt me to upgrade. Stereo isn't one of them.

deesugar

Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
My vote is for the smaller, shorter phone with smaller bezels over stereo.

There was a time when bezels were huge but the bezels on the Moto X (and a lot of phones) are plenty small nowadays. You're not going to get much more utility out of making them smaller, in fact there are problems cropping up with smaller bezels. One is that they sometimes register false touches from the over hanging flesh of your hand. Two is coming up with cases that protect the screen without overlapping the screen. There are times I can't move the highlight arrow when a word is on the edge because the case is in the way. I solve this by changing the orientation or change the zoom so the word is no longer on the edge.

If you think the HTC One sounds the same as the Moto X or there is no difference then you haven't held an HTC One.

ultravisitor

Aug 29, 2010
Visit site
If you think the HTC One sounds the same as the Moto X or there is no difference then you haven't held an HTC One.

I don't think it's a question of whether the Moto X sounds as good as the One or not. I know the One is going to offer better sound via the speakers. However, that doesn't matter to me because the speakers on my phone will almost only play notification sounds.

Sorry, but I do not need stereo sound to hear a text message notification. I do not need stereo sound to hear my phone ring. I do not need stereo sound to hear that I just got another email. The sound quality of a notification beep or chime simply is not that important to me.

If I want to watch a short video or listen to music, I use a headset. I think it is extremely rude and obnoxious when people use their phones to play music or watch videos without using headsets. If you're doing it in the privacy of your home, that's fine, but why not use your computer, TV, or stereo which likely has a better set up?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech