Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    2,356 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Default Moto X+1 May Not Have Stereo Speakers

I find it interesting that of all the people that have had a prototype of the X+1 in their hands, none of them heard any stereo sound coming out of it. This wouldn't be the first time we've seen a phone that seems to have stereo speakers turn out to be false. The current Nexus 5 looked like it had stereo speakers but turned out one of them was a microphone:

The Nexus 5 speaker: Yes, there's only one — and software may be hurting what you hear [updated] | Android Central

If the phone had true stereo speakers that would be a huge improvement. Anyone who's picked up an HTC One knows how much of a difference it makes.

It would be a huge disappointment if the next Moto X didn't have stereo speakers at this point.

Global Posts
    10,003 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock 5.0.1

Default Re: Moto X+1 May Not Have Stereo Speakers

The X may not have front facing speakers, but it's the loudest phone I've heard. Certainly loud enough to use without having to cup the phone.
    "We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology." - Carl Sagan

Current Devices:
    Galaxy Note 4
    rMBP 13"
    iPad 2

Quote Originally Posted by deesugar View Post
    I find it interesting that of all the people that have had a prototype of the X+1 in their hands, none of them heard any stereo sound coming out of it. This wouldn't be the first time we've seen a phone that seems to have stereo speakers turn out to be false. The current Nexus 5 looked like it had stereo speakers but turned out one of them was a microphone:

The Nexus 5 speaker: Yes, there's only one — and software may be hurting what you hear [updated] | Android Central

If the phone had true stereo speakers that would be a huge improvement. Anyone who's picked up an HTC One knows how much of a difference it makes.

It would be a huge disappointment if the next Moto X didn't have stereo speakers at this point.
    It's because they aren't stereo speakers.

The larger version is slated to have stereo speakers, though.
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

Global Posts
    2,356 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by happasaiyan View Post
    It's because they aren't stereo speakers.

The larger version is slated to have stereo speakers, though.
    Interesting, where are you getting this information?
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Global Posts
    2,356 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by UJ95x View Post
    The X may not have front facing speakers, but it's the loudest phone I've heard. Certainly loud enough to use without having to cup the phone.
    I guess I expect more out of phones today then you. But if not cupping makes you happy, go on with your bad self.

Interesting, where are you getting this information?
    "I gotta guy"

Global Posts
    43 Global Posts

What makes the HTC speakers sound so good?
    - The fact that they're good
    - The fact that they're on the front of the phone
    - The fact that there are two
    - The fact that they have stereo sound

The first two seem pretty logical to me and I would expect the third to have some impact too. But the fourth? Is stereo vs non-stereo really relevant with speakers so close to each other?

Isn't there (a lot) more to audio quality than loudness alone?

Using a Nexus 5 speaker performance has never really mattered for me, I am more concerned with the specifications of this new Motorola device.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

To you, maybe. As for me, I don't care.
    Citizen Coyote likes this.
    Ry

Global Posts
    9,732 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by salmanahmad View Post
    Using a Nexus 5 speaker performance has never really mattered for me, I am more concerned with the specifications of this new Motorola device.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
    The way the Moto X performed, specs should be the least of one's concern for the X+1 (save camera).
    Motorola Moto X (212.55.26.ghost_verizon.Verizon.en.US, KitKat 4.4.4) - Motorola Moto 360 (LWX48T, Lollipop 5.0.1) - Motorola Moto G (210.12.41.falcon_cdma.Verizon.en.US, KitKat 4.4.4)

What other devices have I had? Here's my phone timeline.
    Support your favorite Android app and game developers. Pay for apps! And don't block ads!

Community Rules & Guidelines - Mobile Nations Forums

Thanked by:
    UJ95x and Citizen Coyote like this.

I guess I expect more out of phones today then you. But if not cupping makes you happy, go on with your bad self.
    For me the moto x has plenty good sound quality. Personally instead of front facing stereo speakers if rather have smaller bezels.

Sent from my XT1060 using AC Forums mobile app

Global Posts
    10,003 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock 5.0.1

Quote Originally Posted by benhaube View Post
    For me the moto x has plenty good sound quality. Personally instead of front facing stereo speakers if rather have smaller bezels.

Sent from my XT1060 using AC Forums mobile app
    And a shorter device
    "We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology." - Carl Sagan

Current Devices:
    Galaxy Note 4
    rMBP 13"
    iPad 2
    Ry

Global Posts
    9,732 Global Posts

Motorola has always had great speakers.

..of the devices I've owned.

Posted via Android Central App (Moto X)
    Motorola Moto X (212.55.26.ghost_verizon.Verizon.en.US, KitKat 4.4.4) - Motorola Moto 360 (LWX48T, Lollipop 5.0.1) - Motorola Moto G (210.12.41.falcon_cdma.Verizon.en.US, KitKat 4.4.4)

What other devices have I had? Here's my phone timeline.
    Support your favorite Android app and game developers. Pay for apps! And don't block ads!

Community Rules & Guidelines - Mobile Nations Forums

As long as it sounds clear while on speaker phone, I'm good. If I need sound outside of my headphones, I connect to my main stereo, computer speakers, or my speakers in the garage.
  15. Thread Author  Thread Author    #15  

Global Posts
    2,356 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

The Moto X may have an ok mono speaker but that's missing the point which is stereo speakers are better. Cars no longer have mono speakers. TV's have stereo speakers, laptops have stereo speakers and home audio has gone way beyond mono and hasn't looked back. Stereo speakers would be an obvious improvement for the Moto X brand and if there aren't any notable improvements in a new phone then typically people don't feel compelled spend money on a newer version.

The speakers on the Moto X are surprisingly really loud. I love the idea of front facing speakers and HTC really has mastered the whole concept. The renders I have seen of the ones on the X+1, I am not a huge fan of. It creates necessary bezel space and the chrome bars over them stick out way to much. I think maybe they might look better on the black model and hopefully not stick out as much.
    Samsung Fascinate
    Motorola Droid Razr Maxx
    Samsung Galaxy S3
    HTC Droid DNA
    Motorola Moto X
    LG G3 Returned after 14 days
    Back to Motorola Moto X (4.4.4) Bamboo Back
    Moto X 2nd Generation Black/Navy Back/Orange accents
    Droid Turbo
    Back to Moto X 2nd Gen.

Phones are too small for stereo to do much. My vote is for the smaller, shorter phone with smaller bezels over stereo. Mostly I just listen to it as a phone, or as google now. If I want to listen to music, I attach headphones, or speakers, or have it talk to my car's speakers via Bluetooth.

I can think of several features that would tempt me to upgrade. Stereo isn't one of them.
  18. Thread Author  Thread Author    #18  

Global Posts
    2,356 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by Puzzlegal View Post
    My vote is for the smaller, shorter phone with smaller bezels over stereo.
    There was a time when bezels were huge but the bezels on the Moto X (and a lot of phones) are plenty small nowadays. You're not going to get much more utility out of making them smaller, in fact there are problems cropping up with smaller bezels. One is that they sometimes register false touches from the over hanging flesh of your hand. Two is coming up with cases that protect the screen without overlapping the screen. There are times I can't move the highlight arrow when a word is on the edge because the case is in the way. I solve this by changing the orientation or change the zoom so the word is no longer on the edge.

If you think the HTC One sounds the same as the Moto X or there is no difference then you haven't held an HTC One.

If you think the HTC One sounds the same as the Moto X or there is no difference then you haven't held an HTC One.
    I don't think it's a question of whether the Moto X sounds as good as the One or not. I know the One is going to offer better sound via the speakers. However, that doesn't matter to me because the speakers on my phone will almost only play notification sounds.

Sorry, but I do not need stereo sound to hear a text message notification. I do not need stereo sound to hear my phone ring. I do not need stereo sound to hear that I just got another email. The sound quality of a notification beep or chime simply is not that important to me.

If I want to watch a short video or listen to music, I use a headset. I think it is extremely rude and obnoxious when people use their phones to play music or watch videos without using headsets. If you're doing it in the privacy of your home, that's fine, but why not use your computer, TV, or stereo which likely has a better set up?
    Thanked by:
    gdmin 
    Banned

Global Posts
    223 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ultravisitor View Post
    However, that doesn't matter to me because the speakers on my phone will only play notification sounds.
    I use my speakerphone for the many times a week that I can't find my bluetooth. I don't find the moto x speakers all that great for speaker phone use.

Quote Originally Posted by JulesJam View Post
    I use my speakerphone for the many times a week that I can't find my bluetooth. I don't find the moto x speakers all that great for speaker phone use.
    How far away are you from your phone? For me, the speaker is plenty loud.
    Banned

Global Posts
    223 Global Posts

How far away are you from your phone? For me, the speaker is plenty loud.
    just sitting on the seat of my car or on my desk. if I turn the volume up, then I get distortion.
  23. Thread Author  Thread Author    #23  

Global Posts
    2,356 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

I think it is extremely rude and obnoxious when people use their phones to play music or watch videos without using headsets.
    I suppose you're right if you're a solitary person living in a library world.

There are obvious places where you shouldn't be disruptive but there are plenty of people who share videos not only in the confines of their house (as you suggest is the only place we're allowed to share videos) but in public parks, sporting events, malls, coffee shops and just about anywhere where people talk, laugh and share conversations with each other.

in public parks, sporting events, malls, coffee shops and just about anywhere where people talk, laugh and share conversations with each other.
    Coffee shops? Yeah, like I said: rude and obnoxious. Nobody not seated with you wants to hear the garbage playing on your phone and they shouldn't have to.

People also "talk, laugh, and share conversations" on public transportation and airplane flights. Playing a video or song through the speakers on your phone would be similarly inappropriate in those situations.

Rather pathetic that having consideration for others is considered living in a "library world". Honestly, someone who thinks that sounds like an entitled child.
    DefectiveWeeble likes this.
  25. Thread Author  Thread Author    #25  

Global Posts
    2,356 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

If you use a coffee shop as your home base to do work or read because you have no other place you can't expect everyone to shut up and cater to your agenda.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast