Moto X+1 only 16GB?

unstoppablekem

Apr 24, 2012
Visit site
Precisely.

Most OEMs don't make phones specifically for us. The net is cast much wider.

But what I love about Android is that there's something for everyone. You may not want an X+1 with 16GB and no expandable memory. There will be other phones that better suit your needs.

Posted via Android Central App (Moto X)

Just is it that hard to say goodbye to 16GB on a phone? The first iPhone had 16GB (highest $ then, lowest now). Is it really that much more $ for the manufacturer to make 32GB the base model? Because I heard it is like nothing.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Just is it that hard to say goodbye to 16GB on a phone? The first iPhone had 16GB (highest $ then, lowest now). Is it really that much more $ for the manufacturer to make 32GB the base model? Because I heard it is like nothing.

First iPhone had 4GB as the base model.

unstoppablekem

Apr 24, 2012
Visit site
First iPhone had 4GB as the base model.

Like I said, the 16GB was the highest $ model. Although, it did exist. Why can't we just all agree that 32GB should be the min storage in a phone without microSD? Geez...

davidnc

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Having had the Moto X 16 GB model since last Sept.
If the Moto X+1 just came out in a 16 GB model it would not be a deal breaker for me.
I will also say my some of my previous phones had 32 GB internal and a card as well .
Do I think the Moto X +1 will just be available in just 16 GB ? No :)

Last edited:

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Like I said, the 16GB was the highest $ model. Although, it did exist. Why can't we just all agree that 32GB should be the min storage in a phone without microSD? Geez...

I have a 16GB Moto X. It's been fine for me. 8GB should be the min on a 720 phone.

Clocks

Aug 27, 2010
Visit site
More is always better, but I still have 17.38GB free on my dev edition even though I have a few GB of dashcam videos (I dedicate 2gb if space to save the most recent recordings).

The only time I could see myself running into space issues is if I went on vacation and took a ton of videos. But I would bring a laptop anyways to back that stuff up on.

BBSeattle

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
Forum members are not the majority of smartphone consumers.
The criteria in which we (smartphone enthusiast/forum member) decide to purchase phones is foreign to the average consumer.
I would venture to say that ease of use, aesthetics, size, etc. are more along the lines of the characteristics that determine the average consumers buying decision.

PFKMan23

Oct 17, 2011
Visit site
Never said that the company's decision in making it 16GB is bad, just saying why would you as a consumer want less storage if you are paying the same price?

Just like with the iphone, I want it, but don't think it's realistic. Why would any company just give way money that they could make? I believe that 16 GB will be the base model, but I hope that microSD expansion and larger storage will be options from the outset.

Last edited:

unstoppablekem

Apr 24, 2012
Visit site
Just like with the iphone, I want it, but don't think it's realistic. Why would any company just give way money that they could make? I personally beleive that 16 GB will be the base model, but I hope that microSD expansion and larger storage will be options from the outset.

Because it isn't that much of a $ difference for the manufacturer to make the base model 32GB. My 2010 920 has 32GB, and it launched at $99...

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
I have a 16GB Moto X. It's been fine for me. 8GB should be the min on a 720 phone.

Are you saying that it being a 720p device makes it mid-range and therefor doesn't need to have more then 8GB of storage because of that? Or is the Ry-to-human translation broken again? :)

unstoppablekem

Apr 24, 2012
Visit site
Are you saying that it being a 720p device makes it mid-range and therefor doesn't need to have more then 8GB of storage because of that? Or is the Ry-to-human translation broken again? :)

If a phone that launched in 2012 that was considered high end was launched in 2014 with the same specs, yes, it is mid-range. And yeah, the Ry-to-human translation is broken again. :p

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
If a phone that launched in 2012 that was considered high end was launched in 2014 with the same specs, yes, it is mid-range. And yeah, the Ry-to-human translation is broken again. :p

I diagree with anybody that thinks the Moto X was midrange at any point in its life cycle.

16gb is fine for a minimum IMO. Afterall, they're still the volume leader in sales. Not because 32GB isn't available, but because OEM's care about profit margin.

Sent from my K00C using Tapatalk

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site

My Moto G is 720 and it starts at 8GB. :)

unstoppablekem

Apr 24, 2012
Visit site
I diagree with anybody that thinks the Moto X was midrange at any point in its life cycle.

16gb is fine for a minimum IMO. Afterall, they're still the volume leader in sales. Not because 32GB isn't available, but because OEM's care about profit margin.

Sent from my K00C using Tapatalk

Never said it was mid ranged. I'm just saying 32GB isn't that much money for the manufacturer to put in their base model, so FLAGSHIP phones in 2014 (not 2012 or 2013) should have 32GB minimum. I heard it is very cheap for the manufacturer to do that, even though they charge $100 for a storage upgrade.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Never said it was mid ranged. I'm just saying 32GB isn't that much money for the manufacturer to put in their base model, so FLAGSHIP phones in 2014 (not 2012 or 2013) should have 32GB minimum. I heard it is very cheap for the manufacturer to do that, even though they charge $100 for a storage upgrade.

These numbers are old and they vary by OEM and I'm estimating based on memory, so find your own sources - all that said, IIRC it's like $8 for an 8GB, $12 for 16GB, $18 for 32GB or something to that effect. When the OEM charges $50 more per stage (Google, Moto, etc), I kinda get it because their volume discount is probably less and they're not selling as many (obviously same issue) so the cost per device on the line is spread over higher due to sunk and fixed costs spread over fewer devices - there's a recoup. $100 more per stage is just obnoxious IMO, but if people will pay it then okay have fun.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelrie