Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree13Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #51  

Default Re: Moto X+1 only 16GB?

That post and some others were fine, but the majority were talking how 16GB should be in all phones.

And I also say 32GB should be minimum because soon, 128GB will be in phones. We already have 128GB microSD cards. Content is becoming bigger in size, and the more stuff and more pixels, means more use of storage space.

Anyways, I would get the Moto X+1 in 64GB if they don't offer microSD.

As has been said, the people on this website are in the minority. I know plenty of regular people where 16 GB is more than enough. As far as the iPhone being the instigator for 32 GB being the case, I have no idea. It very well might be, but if they can get away with charging $100 more for a 32GB, why wouldn't they try to prolong it? Like I said before, I want 32 GB or bigger to become standard, but I just don't think it will be, certainly not this year.

Quote Originally Posted by unstoppablekem View Post
    Anyways, this seems as a huge debate rather than answering my first question to you guys. D:
    Sent from my Nokia Lumia 920 using Tapatalk
    Uh, most of us did.
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #54  

Quote Originally Posted by delrey1900 View Post
    Uh, most of us did.

I meant to say that, my bad. I didn't mean all of you guys. But just imagine, the Moto X+1 with microSD card support would be better than just the built in storage. But if I had no choice, I would hope for a 64GB model.
    AC Team Emeritus

Global Posts
    9,164 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

What happens when Apple will make 32GB the minimum requirement for their newest high end phone? Will it be okay then? Or you still on denial that the company shouldn't lose $4 in being nicer to the consumer.
    You really think companies want to be nice to consumers?

Maybe you're the one in denial.....

EDIT: Companies can do consumer friendly things, sure, but they aren't going to knowingly take a hit in profit for the sake of the consumer.
    Kevin F.I.M.T.K. O'Quinn Esq.
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #56  

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin O'Quinn View Post
    You really think companies want to be nice to consumers?

Maybe you're the one in denial.....

EDIT: Companies can do consumer friendly things, sure, but they aren't going to knowingly take a hit in profit for the sake of the consumer.

Yeah, not every company is nice, especially Samsung (jk, lol), but doesn't mean they have the right to charge $100 for a storage upgrade when it costs them like 90% less.

Like I've said, all I want is a Moto X+1 with microSD and/or with 64GB. Is that too hard to say without people going crazy here?
    AC Team Emeritus

Global Posts
    9,164 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Yeah, not every company is nice, especially Samsung (jk, lol), but doesn't mean they have the right to charge $100 for a storage upgrade when it costs them like 90% less.

Like I've said, all I want is a Moto X+1 with microSD and/or with 64GB. Is that too hard to say without people going crazy here?
    They absolutely do have the right to charge that. They can charge whatever they want. They will have no incentive to change until they stop making money making those types of decisions.

And no, that's not too hard to say. I'd be ok with 16GB + microSD or 32GB myself.
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #58  

They absolutely do have the right to charge that. They can charge whatever they want. They will have no incentive to change until they stop making money making those types of decisions.

And no, that's not too hard to say. I'd be ok with 16GB + microSD or 32GB myself.

I'm fine with 16GB and microSD too. But if it was just internal storage, I would want 64GB.

16gb + microsd would be ideal. I have the 16gb moto X and ...surprise..it isn't enough.

Offering a 16 GB version lets them keep the base cost down. Adding a microSD slot lets people who need more storage get it, and adding the slot costs little. That's what I expect as a base model, but hopefully they'll offer a 32GB model, too.
    PLEASE, when asking for help provide as much information as possible. We can't help unless we know what the symptoms are and what you did before they began.

LG G3 on Sprint. [Stumped and Bumped, Debloated, Startup apps managed, Trickster, Nova Prime, Swiftkey, G3 Tweakbox]--> Runs smooth as silk, now.
    AC Team Emeritus

Global Posts
    9,164 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by meyerweb View Post
    Offering a 16 GB version lets them keep the base cost down. Adding a microSD slot lets people who need more storage get it, and adding the slot costs little. That's what I expect as a base model, but hopefully they'll offer a 32GB model, too.
    "We" actually don't know the cost of adding the sd card slot. If you want NTFS support, there's a licensing fee for that. I would be curious to know how much engineering time/energy is put in to making sure it functions the way it's expected to as well.

Either way, now that official support is back in Android manufacturers have decided that cost/benefit is good enough to put resources in to including one. Considering Moto released a version of the G that has a slot, odds are good that this new X will have one as well.

"We" actually don't know the cost of adding the sd card slot. If you want NTFS support, there's a licensing fee for that. I would be curious to know how much engineering time/energy is put in to making sure it functions the way it's expected to as well.

Either way, now that official support is back in Android manufacturers have decided that cost/benefit is good enough to put resources in to including one. Considering Moto released a version of the G that has a slot, odds are good that this new X will have one as well.
    FAT32 + VFAT has a licensing fee as well if you are producing and selling a device that supports the file system (it's free to use in software). Unless you're using ext4 (which has poor support in Windows and Mac OS, so would not be ideal for a non-MTP device) you're going to be paying something to include sdcard support.

That said, the licensing fee for FAT32 is $0.25 per device sold, so I don't think it would be a major factory.
    AC Team Emeritus

Global Posts
    9,164 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by raptir View Post
    FAT32 + VFAT has a licensing fee as well if you are producing and selling a device that supports the file system (it's free to use in software). Unless you're using ext4 (which has poor support in Windows and Mac OS, so would not be ideal for a non-MTP device) you're going to be paying something to include sdcard support.

That said, the licensing fee for FAT32 is $0.25 per device sold, so I don't think it would be a major factory.
    That's my point. It adds cost. $0.25 doesn't sound like a lot, but when designing a device that will sell in large volumes every penny matters.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123