Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  
    Ry

Global Posts
    8,874 Global Posts

Default Moto X (second generation): Specs

Operating system
    Android 4.4.4 KitKat®

Capacity
    Storage (ROM)
    Std: 16GB
    Motomaker: 32GB

Dimensions
    Height 140.8 mm
    Width 72.4 mm
    Depth 9.97mm
    Weight 144 grams

Camera
    Rear camera: 13MP F2.25
    Front Camera: 2MP (1080p)

Audio
    Speakers: front-facing and at bottom

Processor
    MSM8974-AC 2.5GHz Qualcomm Snapdragon 801 with quad-core CPU
    RAM 2GB

Display
    5.2” (423 ppi)
    1080p OLED
    Corning Gorilla Glass 3

Connectivity
    Wifi 80211.ac
    BT 4.0LE
    USB centered at bottom
    3.5mm Headset Jack

Battery
    2300 mAh
    Android Central Moderator

Motorola Moto X (212.55.26.ghost_verizon.Verizon.en.US, KitKat 4.4.4)
    Motorola Moto 360 (LWX48T, Lollipop 5.0.1)
    Motorola Moto G (210.12.41.falcon_cdma.Verizon.en.US, KitKat 4.4.4)
    Google Nexus 7 2012 (LRX21P, Lollipop 5.0)

What other devices have I had? Here's my phone timeline.
    Support your favorite Android app and game developers. Pay for apps! And don't block ads!

Community Rules & Guidelines - Mobile Nations Forums

Default Re: Moto X (second generation) Specs

It is being listed on Motorola as Moto X (2nd Gen.) along with the Moto G (2nd Gen.)

Phones
    Thanked by:

Default Re: Moto X (second generation): Specs

The battery size is ridiculously small. What size did the original MotoX have with the 4.7" display?

Samsung Galaxy S5 (Verizon)

Quote Originally Posted by Eclipse2K View Post
    The battery size is ridiculously small. What size did the original MotoX have with the 4.7" display?

2100mah, I get 5-5.5hrs screen on time with it. It'll probably be the same with this one.
    Thanked by 2:
    A895Ry 
    Ry, Citizen Coyote and A895 like this.

Global Posts
    333 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by someguy01234 View Post
    2100mah, I get 5-5.5hrs screen on time with it. It'll probably be the same with this one.
    Lol i just seen picctures in the x forum and never saw a 5sot xD man i kinda like Motorola, but this truely suck!

Posted by my G3 or my 1+

That Motorola Micro Battery you can carry on your keychain is a neat idea but I wonder how often one may need it. Also, if you got 5.5 hours of display time on the MotoX with that battery I'd be shocked. Did you have display brightness down?

Quote Originally Posted by makie View Post
    Lol i just seen picctures in the x forum and never saw a 5sot xD man i kinda like Motorola, but this truely suck!

Posted by my G3 or my 1+
    That's what I'm saying.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wansanta View Post
    Can you translate this into English - I have no idea what you are saying.

I usually can figure out what the ESL posters are saying but this, no, I can't.
    Sure.

5SoT stands for 5 hours of screen on time.

Thanked by:

What does xD mean?
    http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=XD

I wonder if people will be turned off by the bigger size. The Android Central article said that Motorola has data that shows 75% of people who upgrade want bigger phones.

Thanks, isn't that what emojis are for?
    Yes, but xD is common I'm today's internet works.

Back on topic starting now.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott7217 View Post
    I wonder if people will be turned off by the bigger size. The Android Central article said that Motorola has data that shows 75% of people who upgrade want bigger phones.
    Well. It mean I have zero in terest in it. But I guess what matters is what the market as a whole wants. Still, I'm very sad that they didn't release a small one, too.

Yes, but xD is common I'm today's internet works.

Back on topic starting now.

I spend way too much time on the internet and have never seen it. (And don't follow links to urban dictionary from work.) I'll assume it's an unhappy emoticon.

Here is to hoping that they didn't just let specs dictate the speed of the device and they optimized the hell out of this one too. What made the Moto X so fast was optimization. I also wonder what battery life is like I could consistently get 5-6 hours of onscreen time when I had a Moto X, and even with my Razr M I can get at least 4.5 hrs of on screen time. Motorola always knew how to make devices with good battery life and I am cautiously optimistic for this phone too.

That Motorola Micro Battery you can carry on your keychain is a neat idea but I wonder how often one may need it. Also, if you got 5.5 hours of display time on the MotoX with that battery I'd be shocked. Did you have display brightness down?

I usually get at least 4.xx of screen time at about 30%

In a full day use, off charge 6a.m., at night before bed I am estimate an average of about 25% battery left. I rarely hit under 15%
    Wish the X had an extreme battery mode though. For those rare occasions when battery hits lower than 15% and there isn't a charger in site
  14. Thread Author  Thread Author    #14  
    Ry

Global Posts
    8,874 Global Posts

I can go from 7:00 AM to 10:00 PM (~10%) with my first gen Moto X. Wouldn't surprise me to see the second generation Moto X get all-day use, even with only a 100 mAh bump in capacity.
    Android Central Moderator

Motorola Moto X (212.55.26.ghost_verizon.Verizon.en.US, KitKat 4.4.4)
    Motorola Moto 360 (LWX48T, Lollipop 5.0.1)
    Motorola Moto G (210.12.41.falcon_cdma.Verizon.en.US, KitKat 4.4.4)
    Google Nexus 7 2012 (LRX21P, Lollipop 5.0)

What other devices have I had? Here's my phone timeline.
    Support your favorite Android app and game developers. Pay for apps! And don't block ads!

Community Rules & Guidelines - Mobile Nations Forums
    A895 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott7217 View Post
    The size is a big turnoff for me, which is a shame because I love what Moto did this year overall.

Personally, I think Moto's data collectors have no idea what they're doing. Most people are buying larger phones because all of the premium phones are larger phones! There are no mid-sized premium phones to see if people would go for them.

Motorola's "researchers" also said that the reason why they didn't put an SD card slot on the Moto X was because their research suggested most people ended up uploading things to the Cloud. Well, if you don't give them an SD card slot, what other choice is there? To me, it seems that their research and data collection methodology is way off.
    Thanked by:
    A895 and Scott7217 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan Rosenthal View Post
    The size is a big turnoff for me, which is a shame because I love what Moto did this year overall.

Personally, I think Moto's data collectors have no idea what they're doing. Most people are buying larger phones because all of the premium phones are larger phones! There are no mid-sized premium phones to see if people would go for them.

Motorola's "researchers" also said that the reason why they didn't put an SD card slot on the Moto X was because their research suggested most people ended up uploading things to the Cloud. Well, if you don't give them an SD card slot, what other choice is there? To me, it seems that their research and data collection methodology is way off.
    I wish they did at least have an SD slot considering every other phone on the market that is a flagship has one. This would be the perfect phone to stick a 128GB micro SD card in. Me thinks Google still technically owning Motorola told them not to have a micro SD card slot like they did last year.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan Rosenthal View Post
    I think that's more of an issue of Google wanting to push people to using the cloud more. You see the same thing on the Nexus devices - no SD slots. I was shocked they put an SD slot in the Moto G, but it's targeting less developed markets, which may not be able to rely as heavily on having a data connection. Built-in storage does generally make for a better experience (less need to navigate to find files, higher reliability, etc), but it's not a better experience if you run out of space.

I don't understand why we aren't seeing higher storage capacities in smartphones in general, when the cost of flash memory just keeps dropping. I can't see why they wouldn't bump the base capacity to 32 or even 64gb, and then offer a 128 premium upgrade. At that point, it's easier to justify no SD slot to even most of the most demanding customers. I have 32gb in my MAXX, and it does what I need, but I have come very close to running out of space before when I shot some video of a home walk-through for a friend.

For all the talk that companies make about wanting to provide users with a seemless product that "just works", we're not seeing nearly enough phones with big batteries or storage. Sure, some users will manage to drain the biggest battery or fill the biggest storage, but it's not that hard to make it so *most* people don't' have an issue.
    Tablets: 2nd gen Nexus 7 32gb, 1st gen Nexus 7 16gb
    Phone: Droid MAXX
    Retired: OG Droid, Droid RAZR (RIP), Galaxy Nexus (backup phone)

Quote Originally Posted by YAYTech View Post
    I think that's more of an issue of Google wanting to push people to using the cloud more. You see the same thing on the Nexus devices - no SD slots. I was shocked they put an SD slot in the Moto G, but it's targeting less developed markets, which may not be able to rely as heavily on having a data connection. Built-in storage does generally make for a better experience (less need to navigate to find files, higher reliability, etc), but it's not a better experience if you run out of space.

I don't understand why we aren't seeing higher storage capacities in smartphones in general, when the cost of flash memory just keeps dropping. I can't see why they wouldn't bump the base capacity to 32 or even 64gb, and then offer a 128 premium upgrade. At that point, it's easier to justify no SD slot to even most of the most demanding customers. I have 32gb in my MAXX, and it does what I need, but I have come very close to running out of space before when I shot some video of a home walk-through for a friend.

For all the talk that companies make about wanting to provide users with a seemless product that "just works", we're not seeing nearly enough phones with big batteries or storage. Sure, some users will manage to drain the biggest battery or fill the biggest storage, but it's not that hard to make it so *most* people don't' have an issue.
    The bigger issue is that people on the internet are complaining about it and not mass consumers, there is a reason Apple still sells 16GB phones too, they are popular and do just fine for most smartphones users as it always has been. If there are people who want more storage there is a 32GB version. That is the way making money works for a company.

As far as battery, we don't know anything about how the Moto X2 will fare so we can't discuss anything concrete yet, I do know from personal experience that Motorola knows how to optimize their devices so my Moto X managed to last all day and then some every single time.
    globster2000 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Ry View Post
    Operating system
    Android 4.4.4 KitKat®

Capacity
    Storage (ROM)
    Std: 16GB
    Motomaker: 32GB

Dimensions
    Height 140.8 mm
    Width 72.4 mm
    Depth 9.97mm
    Weight 144 grams

Camera
    Rear camera: 13MP F2.25
    Front Camera: 2MP (1080p)

Audio
    Speakers: front-facing and at bottom

Processor
    MSM8974-AC 2.5GHz Qualcomm Snapdragon 801 with quad-core CPU
    RAM 2GB

Display
    5.2” (423 ppi)
    1080p OLED
    Corning Gorilla Glass 3

Connectivity
    Wifi 80211.ac
    BT 4.0LE
    USB centered at bottom
    3.5mm Headset Jack

Battery
    2300 mAh
    It supports NFC too

Quote Originally Posted by A895 View Post
    The bigger issue is that people on the internet are complaining about it and not mass consumers, there is a reason Apple still sells 16GB phones too, they are popular and do just fine for most smartphones users as it always has been. If there are people who want more storage there is a 32GB version. That is the way making money works for a company.

As far as battery, we don't know anything about how the Moto X2 will fare so we can't discuss anything concrete yet, I do know from personal experience that Motorola knows how to optimize their devices so my Moto X managed to last all day and then some every single time.
    I just see microSD card prices and wonder why they can't simply offer some larger sizes of internal storage. It shouldn't be a complex upgrade for the engineers. Probably the biggest complication is the marketing and UPC management. The bump in cost for the manufacturer from 16gb to 32gb is surely very small. And they could make some extra money offering a 128gb special edition at a premium, even if to keep things simple they only offer it through Moto Maker and keep very small inventories on hand.

I just see microSD card prices and wonder why they can't simply offer some larger sizes of internal storage. It shouldn't be a complex upgrade for the engineers. Probably the biggest complication is the marketing and UPC management. The bump in cost for the manufacturer from 16gb to 32gb is surely very small. And they could make some extra money offering a 128gb special edition at a premium, even if to keep things simple they only offer it through Moto Maker and keep very small inventories on hand.
    No one but manufacturers know how much internal storage costs for smartphones so to try to make parallels between prices with micro SD cards is futile.

No one but manufacturers know how much internal storage costs for smartphones so to try to make parallels between prices with micro SD cards is futile.
    It's not futile. Yes, the internal flash storage they use in the phones is probably a higher grade to handle the much higher read/write usage, but it's not going to cost them exponentially more to manufacture. Those microSD cards are being sold at a profit. I think it's fair to say the manufacturer's cost for the higher grade flash storage is unlikely to be higher than the retail pricing of the lower grade flash storage in the microSDs. It's certainly not going to be vastly more.

It's not futile. Yes, the internal flash storage they use in the phones is probably a higher grade to handle the much higher read/write usage, but it's not going to cost them exponentially more to manufacture. Those microSD cards are being sold at a profit. I think it's fair to say the manufacturer's cost for the higher grade flash storage is unlikely to be higher than the retail pricing of the lower grade flash storage in the microSDs. It's certainly not going to be vastly more.
    As I said we don't know, and in the end it does not matter. Until mass consumers clamor for more internal storage it won't change.

Posted via the Android Central App

As I said we don't know, and in the end it does not matter. Until mass consumers clamor for more internal storage it won't change.

Posted via the Android Central App
    How many people are throwing a fit about microSD? How many of them wouldn't care about it if they could special order a phone with 128gb internal? There's your demand. Granted, that demand can be filled by including a microSD slot, but that doesn't meet the design criteria of certain products (Nexus line, most Moto products), and it doesn't provide an extra revenue stream for the device manufacturers.

And just because we don't know cost to the penny doesn't mean we can't do realistic generalization. You can get high quality microSD cards or high quality SSDs for .50-80/gb (and they're making a profit selling them at those prices). So if you want a fair generalization, it's very realistic to say they're not paying more than a dollar per gb, with the possible exception of very high capacity drives where they're squeezing a lot of gb into small space. And the microSD comparison is made even more fair when you consider that at least some mobile devices have been found to essentially have a microSD card soldered to the board.

How many people are throwing a fit about microSD? How many of them wouldn't care about it if they could special order a phone with 128gb internal? There's your demand. Granted, that demand can be filled by including a microSD slot, but that doesn't meet the design criteria of certain products (Nexus line, most Moto products), and it doesn't provide an extra revenue stream for the device manufacturers.

And just because we don't know cost to the penny doesn't mean we can't do realistic generalization. You can get high quality microSD cards or high quality SSDs for .50-80/gb (and they're making a profit selling them at those prices). So if you want a fair generalization, it's very realistic to say they're not paying more than a dollar per gb, with the possible exception of very high capacity drives where they're squeezing a lot of gb into small space. And the microSD comparison is made even more fair when you consider that at least some mobile devices have been found to essentially have a microSD card soldered to the board.
    Not enough people are throwing fits, that is the point. That is why we have the Moto X starting at 16GB. Live with it or get another device. We can't change anything if not enough people are on board and there aren't enough people on board with external storage or higher capacity internal storage.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast