4208 x 3120
1.12 μm
16.5 mm^2

Moto X (2013)
OmniVision OV10820
4320 x 2432
1.4 μm
20.6 mm^2

So the SENSOR in the 2014 Moto X is 25% SMALLER then the 2013 X! A smaller sensor is BAD. And more megapixels on a smaller sensor just means more noise. Boo Moto. They went with 100% marketing MP crap for the camera.
It is used in the LG G3, so if it is bad, then the G3 also take bad photos.

Secondly, I have seen the camera interface of the new phone in videos, it will not take video at 4K DCI, like the G3 and Note 3, it will only take videos in 4K UHD.

Also Ultrapixel is overrated.

Eli_C

Mar 10, 2014
Visit site
It is used in the LG G3, so if it is bad, then the G3 also take bad photos.

There is no doubt that implementations of the IMX135 so far have been better then the Moto X. But a camera is also more then the sensor alone. The Moto X however lacks additional quality features such as Optical Image Stabilization and advanced focus features, such as the laser focus.

Also Ultrapixel is overrated.

HTC's implementation of "ultrapixel" is overrated because they don't use enough pixels!
8+MP of 2+μm would be a great sensor
12+MP of 2+μm would be an AMAZING sensor

If large pixels ("ultrapixels") are so over-rated, then why does every professional camera use pixels that dwarf the size of smartphone pixels?

Decent read on sensor size:
Camera sensor size: Why does it matter and exactly how big are they?

someguy01234

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site
I don't record videos much so OIS isn't that important to me. I think I am capable of holding the phone still for photos. As for laser focus, I'm okay with taping on the screen. Also it have that pre-shot buffer mode. My only concern is Motorola digital processing of low light photos.

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
So far those first pics from Andrew and Phil look good. It will be interesting to see low light/indoor quality.

Posted via the Android Central App

Green_Laser

Sep 4, 2010
Visit site
speaking of the camera, allow me to ask this (which I also asked last year on the 2013 moto x)...

on a moto x, if I download google camera app (or any other 3rd party camera app), when I flick my wrist to load camera, will it let me set a default as to which camera app I want to use, or will it automatically load the default camera?

reason for me asking is that I know on previous x, camera ALWAYS takes photos at 10MP and video at 720HD.

I don't want to take a 13 mp picture for every picture. What I mean is, not every picture taken is needed to be in such a high mp, which results in taking up so much room on phone (~2-3mb/photo). Would be great if there were options so such as 5mp, 10mp, and 13 mp.
e.g. texting picture to wife from supermarket "is this the spice you needed?" <<-- that pic doesn't need to be in 13mp

Same goes for video.

I applaud moto for giving us the ability to customize so much, including speaker grills this time around, and hope they'll allow us to customize how we take a photo/video.

(for the record, I do not own the previous moto x. Got one for my dad few months back, though haven't tried installing a 3rd party app to see what happens when flick wrist)

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
speaking of the camera, allow me to ask this (which I also asked last year on the 2013 moto x)...

on a moto x, if I download google camera app (or any other 3rd party camera app), when I flick my wrist to load camera, will it let me set a default as to which camera app I want to use, or will it automatically load the default camera?

reason for me asking is that I know on previous x, camera ALWAYS takes photos at 10MP and video at 720HD.

I don't want to take a 13 mp picture for every picture. What I mean is, not every picture taken is needed to be in such a high mp, which results in taking up so much room on phone (~2-3mb/photo). Would be great if there were options so such as 5mp, 10mp, and 13 mp.
e.g. texting picture to wife from supermarket "is this the spice you needed?" <<-- that pic doesn't need to be in 13mp

Same goes for video.

I applaud moto for giving us the ability to customize so much, including speaker grills this time around, and hope they'll allow us to customize how we take a photo/video.

(for the record, I do not own the previous moto x. Got one for my dad few months back, though haven't tried installing a 3rd party app to see what happens when flick wrist)

Everything I've seen so far points to the second gen Moto X being the same as the first gen Moto X with regards to twist gesture and camera settings.

Green_Laser

Sep 4, 2010
Visit site
Everything I've seen so far points to the second gen Moto X being the same as the first gen Moto X with regards to twist gesture and camera settings.

I completely understand that part and that wrist twist rolls over to newer x (which I'm happy it does). Though I'll clarify better, for those with a current X, if you download a 3rd party camera app, flick wrist, does the phone then ask you which app you'd like to use as default? (reg camera or 3rd party camera)

curious to find out.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
I completely understand that part and that wrist twist rolls over to newer x (which I'm happy it does). Though I'll clarify better, for those with a current X, if you download a 3rd party camera app, flick wrist, does the phone then ask you which app you'd like to use as default? (reg camera or 3rd party camera)

curious to find out.

As-in, the gesture is still with the Motorola Camera app.

Green_Laser

Sep 4, 2010
Visit site
As-in, the gesture is still with the Motorola Camera app.

Thanks, would be cool if we could designate that.
I'll either be less "trigger happy" or will have more to delete when reviewing gallery with new moto x.
It's still not stopping me from getting the new x,

Posted via Android Central App

Eli_C

Mar 10, 2014
Visit site
As for laser focus, I'm okay with taping on the screen. Also it have that pre-shot buffer mode.

Tapping on the screen is now how the camera focuses, it how you take a shot, which will be blurry if the camera is not properly focused. Features like LG's laser focus and HTC second camera allow for allow for faster focusing.

The Note 4 seems to be using a nice sensor:
IMX240
4608 x 3456
16MP
9.769 mm diagonal (vs 5.867 mm for the IMX135)

that works out to pixels of ~1.7μm

livetoride4666

Apr 1, 2013
Visit site
I'm thinking that the camera may be fixed by the third gen of the moto x.

Motorola is notorious for subpar cameras so I doubt it will be fixed, however, maybe Lenovo will change that. You could be right. Right now it's the only thing holding me back from this phone. Hopefully the nexus x will have a good camera.

Jonathan Lin1

Feb 4, 2013
Visit site
After looking at this review and the pics that they took, it doesn't look as bad as I thought. I keep swinging back between the new moto x or xperia z2/z3... I'm coming from nexus 4's poor camera so any would be an upgrade, but I'm debating between the near stock android, with handsfree features or the powerful camera/battery of the z2/z3... I'm having a difficult time making a decision.

I can't post links yet.. but its the review from androidheadlines moto x review page.

guesswhat_567

Aug 21, 2013
Visit site
After looking at this review and the pics that they took, it doesn't look as bad as I thought. I keep swinging back between the new moto x or xperia z2/z3... I'm coming from nexus 4's poor camera so any would be an upgrade, but I'm debating between the near stock android, with handsfree features or the powerful camera/battery of the z2/z3... I'm having a difficult time making a decision.

I can't post links yet.. but its the review from androidheadlines moto x review page.

Here is how i look at it With moto x you will get pretty decent camera and battery which should be ok for most of the users .. If you go for other phone you are for sure missing out on all the great features of the moto x which are unique and change how you use your phone and take the user exclusive to next level..also don't forget the quick updates you will get on moto x especifically with android L around with the corner

Jonathan Lin1

Feb 4, 2013
Visit site
Here is how i look at it With moto x you will get pretty decent camera and battery which should be ok for most of the users .. If you go for other phone you are for sure missing out on all the great features of the moto x which are unique and change how you use your phone and take the user exclusive to next level..also don't forget the quick updates you will get on moto x especifically with android L around with the corner

Indeed. I will see more camera reviews before making decision.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol