Moto Maker w/ unlocked bootloader & faster updates

Clocks

Aug 27, 2010
Visit site
The relevant answer from that g+ thread

Olivier Meirhaeghe12:23 PM
We will offer a GSM/LTE carrier-free (no SIM lock) and with an unlockable bootloader on Motomaker, and with all the Motomaker personalization options. 

Travis C.12:24 PM
not gsm. For Verizon???By LTE does that mean Verizon?

Olivier Meirhaeghe12:33 PM
No. Just for GSM/LTE carriers at this point.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
True but that is not the main issue for many of us. We want to debloat the Verizon phones and otherwise mod them.

Probably an issue for the OP, who put "faster updates" in the thread title.

Clocks

Aug 27, 2010
Visit site
My assumption was even a developer edition on VZW would get updates the same time as everyone else on VZW would since everything on VZW needs to pass VZW testing. I was curious if they had managed some kind of fast-track agreement with VZW, but it looks like they have not.

Unlocked sounds like it's coming straight from Moto for the unlocked new moto x's. Everyone else still has to wait on their carriers. It's been a 6-8 week delay so far for VZW moto x owners, it's not the end of the world.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
My assumption was even a developer edition on VZW would get updates the same time as everyone else on VZW would since everything on VZW needs to pass VZW testing. I was curious if they had managed some kind of fast-track agreement with VZW, but it looks like they have not.

Unlocked sounds like it's coming straight from Moto for the unlocked new moto x's. Everyone else still has to wait on their carriers. It's been a 6-8 week delay so far for VZW moto x owners, it's not the end of the world.

Historically with the first gen Moto X:

4.4: Verizon first (including VZW Dev Edition)
4.4.2: AT&T first
4.4.3: "T-Mobile" first (really, unlocked model and including GSM Dev Edition), Sprint was quick right after
4.4.4: Verizon first