Motorola Went Big and Gimmicky on the Moto X (2014) a La Samsung This Time

deesugar

Mar 29, 2011
Visit site

BobLobIaw

May 12, 2014
Visit site
I wouldn't call it gimmicky, and it caught my attention by increasing the screen size whereas I wouldn't even have sniffed at a 4.7" phone in this day and age. I am a bit concerned that it doesn't quite match up with the G3 and the S5, but I may be wrong about that as I'm not very experienced with Android phones. I'm looking forward to reading some user reviews.

mogelijk

Trusted Member
Jul 14, 2013
Visit site
The "New" Moto X was a solid update, in my opinion. It addressed a good number of the complaints that people had about the original.

That being said, I have no interest in buying one, provided that the "Moto Voice" updates are made available to "Original" Moto X customers.

(Also, does anyone else find it strange that a lot of other features that people wanted in the new Moto X only showed up in the new Moto G? The Moto G got SD card support, FM radio, and stereo front-facing speakers, while the Moto X did not.)

According to the Gizmodo editorial, linked in the post above yours, the old Moto X is not getting the software improvements of the new Moto X. He said they specifically asked about that in the press conference yesterday. Others are saying that Motorola changed their line today, so let's hope.

YAYTech

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
That's your opinion. My opinion is a few things are better, major things are worse.

I'd say the increase in size of the phone is one and a lack of corresponding increase in battery is another.

Here's another review echoing that:
Hands on: Trying out the new Moto X -- is bigger necessarily better? | Computerworld

Moto has said that the 1080p screen in the Moto X'14 uses notably *less* power than the 720p screen in the first gen, so your reference to battery size in relation to resolution is moot. The larger screen size making it worse is completely a matter of opinion, which you are entitled to, but does not make it a worse device in itself, just possibly a worse phone for your preference.

deesugar

Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
According to the Gizmodo editorial, linked in the post above yours, the old Moto X is not getting the software improvements of the new Moto X. He said they specifically asked about that in the press conference yesterday. Others are saying that Motorola changed their line today, so let's hope.

The Gizmodo editorial link also noted Moto's own change log stated:
"Moto X (1st generation), Droid Maxx, Droid Mini, and Droid Ultra users, stay tuned for updates to Moto Voice / Touchless Control soon."

I admit it's not a guarantee but it wouldn't shock anyone if the OG Moto X and others got this update. It would go along with the kind updates we've come to expect from Moto.

deesugar

Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
Moto has said that the 1080p screen in the Moto X'14 uses notably *less* power than the 720p screen in the first gen, so your reference to battery size in relation to resolution is moot. The larger screen size making it worse is completely a matter of opinion, which you are entitled to, but does not make it a worse device in itself, just possibly a worse phone for your preference.

1. That would be great. Could you provide us the link(s) to this Moto statement?
  2. Does the CPU also use less battery power?
  3. Also does anyone know how much battery all those IR sensors are going to use?

Last edited:

b_slow1

Nov 12, 2013
Visit site

Yes, its all a bit confusing, and I hate having to wait for confirmation of things like this. I did see an article that stipulated that Motorola stated they were not going to bring the software updates to the og Moto X, but the VP of Motorola Project Management said on his Google+ account that updates WILL be coming, (hardware willing). So I still have no idea, because even if we get "confirmation", there's no reason that they can't change their minds at the last minute anyway.

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
That's your opinion. My opinion is a few things are better, major things are worse.

I'd say the increase in size of the phone is one and a lack of corresponding increase in battery is another.

Here's another review echoing that:
Hands on: Trying out the new Moto X -- is bigger necessarily better? | Computerworld

Sorry. I meant objectively worse. The increase in size is subjective. I would have liked a bigger battery, but we still don't know how well it fairs. Everything else about the phone is objectively better. Sharper display, more features, more powerful SoC, better camera, better radios, and more customization options.

someguy01234

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site
I don't even..... I mean how do you look at the 2014 Moto X and think Gimmicky? What concerns me is that random people are putting down this device (like last year) for some reason.
Most of them are people who never used a Moto phone before and talk like they know what it's like.

globster2000

Aug 22, 2013
Visit site
I don't see how any of what they added was gimmicky. The only complaint I have is the small battery. Other than that, it seems like a worthy successor to the Moto X, even though I would have liked for them to keep it a bit smaller.

I agree with you about the new moto x being a worthy successor. I do believe that the newly added features do put a spin on the moto x. Plus, the beefed specs and camera, i am skeptical of its full potential considering that we are talking about motorola, will make the device last two years I think. However, the criticism for the battery of the new moto x will have to wait. I believe that with newer technology there exists better ways to conserve battery, and maybe the new moto x can surprise us in that area.

Posted via Android Central App

Stang68

Mar 15, 2010
Visit site
I don't think there's much wrong with the new Moto X at all. Sure, it's bigger and I like the size of the current Moto X...but Motorola knows what sells and what doesn't. Clearly the Moto X with a 4.7" screen wasn't selling. We'll get used to the bigger screen on this new Moto X, mainly because we don't have a choice.

Orion78

Jan 17, 2011
Visit site
When the original Moto X launched last year it was bold statement for having this minimalist principle of "If it doesn't make the phone better we don't use it!" balanced with another guiding principle of "If we can come up with something truly innovative that's different from anything else out there we will use it."

From the size and resolution of the screen to the speed of the CPU Motorola didn't follow what Samsung, HTC and the other big guys were doing. With their Moto Maker, Active Display, Touchless Control and other features Motorola dared to be different in a homogeneous sea of me too Android devices.

It now looks like the Engineering daredevils that made the original Moto X gave way to the Marketing group and their test surveys. I don't see the logical successor to the Moto X with this model, I see what would have happened if Samsung bought the Motorola unit and rolled it up into the Galaxy line of phones.
Please know what "gimmicky" means before you make another pointless thread. Thanks.

shady28

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
I agree with the spirit of the OP though not really the "gimmicky" part.

The new Moto X looks to me like an up-spec'd DROID MAXX without the battery.

The draw of the Moto X (2013) was its ergonomics, build quality, and the Moto features like Active Notification and Voice which provided a high level of integration with Google apps.

The ergonomic single-handed usability and easy pocketability of the original is now gone. That was its main distinguishing feature. It is now a high-end android phone in a very conventional / conservative sense competing on specs and build quality. It may succeed in that sense but I think the soul of the original Moto X just died.

delrey1900

Mar 22, 2010
Visit site
The ergonomic single-handed usability and easy pocketability of the original is now gone. That was its main distinguishing feature. It is now a high-end android phone in a very conventional / conservative sense competing on specs and build quality. It may succeed in that sense but I think the soul of the original Moto X just died.

Interesting view. Well said. This makes me wonder if Moto will follow suit from other manufactures and release a 'mini' version of the 2014 X which would in sense replace the OG X and making the new X go after the 'high end' devices. Or they could just simply keep selling the OG X.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kirk781