Ars Technica: Moto X (second generation) Review

Clocks

Aug 27, 2010
Visit site

tmann202

Jan 6, 2014
Visit site
Re: The Verge opinion of the Moto X 2014

I'm surprised at the relatively low battery life of the original X. I thought the lack of bloatware was supposed to make it better than others? Maybe it is due to the nature of the test? (i.e. "wi-fi browsing", where maybe if it included other usage the X would fare better???)

New-Moto-G-and-X.008.png

livetoride4666

Apr 1, 2013
Visit site

Damn it! With the subpar battery and very inconsistent camera I am forced to take a pass. I'll have to wait and see what happens with the nexus or the Z3 looks very promising.

Posted via Android Central App

heyeaglefn

Sep 5, 2014
Visit site

If the Current X is an all day device for you, then I don't think you are using it very much, so any device would be an all day device.

delrey1900

Mar 22, 2010
Visit site

The fact that it outperforms the OG X with only an additional 100mah while having the higher specs says a lot. Plus if the OG X does well for you then you will be fine based on this test. Again, this is the only one. Would like to see more too.

onthecouchagain

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site

It'll certainly require more reviews and various battery tests before the verdict is out. Some real world usage reports will be nice, too.

The point, though, is that the current battery size and situation gives pause for many to purchase this device. It's a potential stumbling block, tarnish, mistake, bad decision by Motorola to only have increased it by 100 mah.

That's all.

someguy01234

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site

The battery life test with letting the phone doing loop over a website over and over is just dumb. Sorry.

cgardnervt

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site

Real life battery tests will be a big factor on a buy or not to buy for me. I had huge hopes for this device but really who was I kidding? The device I wanted just wont come a long. I guess in reality we all need to be smart enough to know that no phone will have the "perfect specs" + great price. The Moto X is for the people who don;t wanna break the bank but want a good supported phone IMO. So after thinking with mt reality check the phone is still on the table for me. Like I said I will wait a bit to let the hardware settle and reviews come out. So I'm still excited even if the battery could be better.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Review: In its second generation, the Moto X becomes a true flagship | Ars Technica

The new Moto X costs $99 with a two-year contract and $499 unlocked. This price is not drastically lower than what you'd pay for a flagship from Samsung, HTC, or LG, nor is it as low as what you'll pay for an unlocked first-generation Moto X ($349, as of this writing). But it's a nice reversal of the situation last year, where the Moto X was cheaper on paper than its price tag implied. Motorola will now give you a nice, high-end Android flagship with all the trimmings for less than its competitors.

We're sure that Motorola is going to continue selling way more Moto Gs and Moto Es than it will Moto Xs, just because the high-end phone market is saturated with competitors, and it's hard for any individual phone from anyone other than Samsung or Apple to make much of a dent. But having a solid flagship is a good way to win early adopters and technology enthusiasts to your side, and those kinds of people are the ones who are the most likely to evangelize on your behalf. The Moto X is an important halo model, and it's great to see Motorola treating it that way.

If we have one major criticism, it's that the new Moto X just doesn't feel as good to hold as the old one did. It doesn't feel bad—the contours and curves see to that—but the original Moto X crammed a 4.7-inch display into a phone that felt much smaller than that. It was unique in a field where most OEMs seem to have settled on five inches as a reasonably average screen size. Large-screened phones are undeniably popular, so it probably makes better business sense for Motorola to go with the flow. Still, we can't help but feel a little wistful when we pick up the original Moto X.

ultravisitor

Aug 29, 2010
Visit site

I'm surprised at the relatively low battery life of the original X. I thought the lack of bloatware was supposed to make it better than others? Maybe it is due to the nature of the test? (i.e. "wi-fi browsing", where maybe if it included other usage the X would fare better???)

It's due to the nature of the test. The 2013 Moto X is a fantastic performer in real life usage due to Active Notifications.

PeninaD

Jun 21, 2010
Visit site

It's due to the nature of the test. The 2013 Moto X is a fantastic performer in real life usage due to Active Notifications.
Actually, the 10 days I had an OGX, unless I turned most of the 'fun stuff' off, especially GPS for location based services, I had to recharge before evening came, and I don't stream.

ultravisitor

Aug 29, 2010
Visit site

Actually, the 10 days I had an OGX, unless I turned most of the 'fun stuff' off, especially GPS for location based services, I had to recharge before evening came, and I don't stream.

Wow. You had a Moto X for ten days, so you totally know about it, right?

Meanwhile, I've had a Moto X for over a year now, and I have gotten as much as 14+ hours with 6+ hours of screen time before needing to charge again at 19%. Other times I've gone as long as 17+ hours and still was only down to 61% on the battery.

So what was that you were saying about thinking you know about the Moto X's battery after owning it for a whole 10 days?

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site

Meanwhile, I've had a Moto X for over a year now, and I have gotten as much as 14+ hours with 6+ hours of screen time before needing to charge again at 19%. Other times I've gone as long as 17+ hours and still was only down to 61% on the battery.

So what was that you were saying about thinking you know about the Moto X's battery after owning it for a whole 10 days?

To be fair, ten days is a lot more time than the amount of time most reviewers spend with a phone before writing a review.

Posted via Android Central App (Moto X)

Puzzlegal

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site

The battery life test with letting the phone doing loop over a website over and over is just dumb. Sorry.
Eh, that's how I burn most of my battery life. Reading forums like this one. that and playing games.

I usually need to recharge the 2013 Moto X before the day is over. That (and lack of wireless charging) is my only real complaint with my current device. This may be an upgrade for some, but it clearly isn't for me.

My experience is more like ultravisitor's, except that I've had the phone since last Thanksgiving. Plenty of time to break in the battery and get a fell for how it works for me.

PeninaD

Jun 21, 2010
Visit site

To be fair, ten days is a lot more time than the amount of time most reviewers spend with a phone before writing a review.

Posted via Android Central App (Moto X)
Thanks...and coming from a MAXX model, I really tried to see any signs of battery life improvement, as I liked the phone otherwise. As I live in mountains, battery on any phone here gets used on signal strength issues. Also, losing power for a day happens up here, so having a phone outlast a power outage is a consideration not everyone else has to factor in to their decision-making process.
I took the Moto X (2013) back and forth to a major metropolitan area twice for whole days, to see if being in strong signal areas helped. Really not much, and the "Moto X+1" was only weeks away, so I gambled on CMing my old phone while I waited for the second gen. I like the quick charger for this new Moto X...that might tip my decision, but I'm going to keep ears open to real world users experiences as well as if a big battery Droid/Razr type offering coming soonish.

planoman

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
The OG moto x was fine on battery for my usage. Plus on the new moto x, you can get a turbo charger and 15 minutes will give you a big boost. Will not be an issue for me as I carry a external battery pack but almost never use it.

Posted via Nexus 5

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pierre5463