Moto X (second generation): Pure Edition

Woosh

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
Re: Moto X Pure Edition

Tbh I'm not sure why this is new news? They announced an unlocked version for $499 when they announced the phone, I suppose the news is it's now going to be called "Pure edition"?

Unless something has changed recently then AFAIK Verizon will not activate a phone without their logo on it? Been a while since I've followed Verizon but since it still takes CDMA to make calls I'd think they still need to activate the IMEI? Not sure but that's just my guess and iirc they've already confirmed that the unlocked version won't work with Verizon.

someguy01234

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site

But you can certainly bring your unlocked Pure Edition to Verizon if it supports the frequencies.
Erm... no. Even if it does, they won't allow it to activate on their network. See: Nexus 5. But I guess maybe VoLTE will allow unlocked phones on their network, I'm not sure the FCC ruling on it.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site

What? 2014 and Verizon doesn't let you bring your own device to the network? Even Mexican carriers let you do that, and they're not the most technologically advanced of the bunch :p haha My bad if I misspoke, I've only dealt with AT&T and T-Mobile here in the US, never thought that Big Red would limit their network like that.

Woosh

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site

What? 2014 and Verizon doesn't let you bring your own device to the network? Even Mexican carriers let you do that, and they're not the most technologically advanced of the bunch :p haha My bad if I misspoke, I've only dealt with AT&T and T-Mobile here in the US, never thought that Big Red would limit their network like that.

The thinking is that once Verizon goes to VOLTE then you'll be able to pop in a SIM card and be able to use it. So in theory someday the Nexus will be available for Verizon again through this method.

Verizon as a whole loves it's control. They rarely if ever do anything beneficial for the customer. They just recently added LTE and BYOD to their prepaid service, next month PagePlus that runs on Verizon will finally be able to get LTE and able to activate LTE devices.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site

But even if they're CDMA couldn't you just call them and give them the device ID for registration on their network? I know I did this with Mexico's CDMA carrier once with the OG MotoDroid.

Unless the device doesn't support CDMA then yeah, I understand why they couldn't do that. But if your phone does support it and it's only a matter of activating the IMEI, what's the big deal? Oh well, it's their policies. I haven't used CDMA in years.

Vic Rivera

Sep 7, 2014
Visit site

Question. And totally of subject. I really am enjoying the way we can customize the Moto X and I see that it starts at 499.00.

Are the going to charge extra for the type of backs that you chose?

This coming from a Blackberry user, lol.

Posted via Android Central App

Woosh

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site

But even if they're CDMA couldn't you just call them and give them the device ID for registration on their network? I know I did this with Mexico's CDMA carrier once with the OG MotoDroid.

Unless the device doesn't support CDMA then yeah, I understand why they couldn't do that. But if your phone does support it and it's only a matter of activating the IMEI, what's the big deal? Oh well, it's their policies. I haven't used CDMA in years.

Technically speaking yes if it has the correct bands then it can be activated, but Verizon doesn't allow it.

Question. And totally of subject. I really am enjoying the way we can customize the Moto X and I see that it starts at 499.00.

Are the going to charge extra for the type of backs that you chose?

This coming from a Blackberry user, lol.

Posted via Android Central App

The Leather and the Wood backs cost $25 more for premium material. The other customizations are all included at $499 price.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site

Sounds good.

I always felt like the the "T-Mobile"/unlocked GSM variant and the GSM developer edition were kind of redundant with last year's X.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
From the blog: The unlocked and unadulterated Moto X might be called 'Pure Edition' | Android Central

The unbranded, unlocked version of Motorola's new Moto X will go by the name Moto X Pure Edition. While it will still retain Motorola's custom software tweaks, it will lack any of the carrier software found in the different branded versions of the device. It will also be sold directly by Motorola. If this sounds familiar, it's exactly what Motorola did with the original 2013 Moto X, except it didn't have a name.

NoYankees44

Dec 20, 2011
Visit site

If it is a model they approve, then yes you can bring any device. But if it is not a specific model, they do not let you use it.

For instance you could buy the Verizon gs3 from any outlet or otherwise and they would let you use it, but you cannot use the unlocked or att version.

grayfox99

Jul 30, 2010
Visit site
Didn't we already go through all of this with the Nexus 7 on Verizon? Aren't they obligated by law to activate devices that work on their frequencies? Wasn't it part of the agreement they signed during some recent spectrum auction?

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Didn't we already go through all of this with the Nexus 7 on Verizon? Aren't they obligated by law to activate devices that work on their frequencies? Wasn't it part of the agreement they signed during some recent spectrum auction?

I don't think it's "law".

And the Nexus 7 LTE is different in that there is no CDMA EVDO 3G fall back.

Posted via Android Central App (Moto X)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Landers2