Moto X 2014 Anybody listen to this weeks podcast?

KennyJohnson

Oct 9, 2013
Visit site
They seemed really down on the phone. I don't know if it only because they really liked the smaller screen size of last year's model or if the innovations from last year aren't as exciting with the new iteration. Phil made it sound like there is no reason to get the new Moto X over the S5 or G3. It seems that I'm the only one who doesn't want all the bloat that comes with other devices. That's a huge plus for the Moto X.

Posted via Android Central App

dwd3885

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Re: Anybody listen to this weeks podcast?

I listened. I've gone back and forth on it. Waiting for the review. I tend to agree though, if you by a big phone, there should be something it give you. Not a better camera or battery vs S5, G3.

I think I'm sticking with my Nexus 5.

Posted via the Android Central App

Clocks

Aug 27, 2010
Visit site
The new Moto x is the Moto X for people who wanted a bigger screen on the original. Otherwise I think the changes are pretty small. It's hard to get excited about that, and I get that moto pissed off the 4.7" lovers crowd. In an ideal world they would release 2 identical devices each year except for size.

KennyJohnson

Oct 9, 2013
Visit site

I listened. I've gone back and forth on it. Waiting for the review. I tend to agree though, if you by a big phone, there should be something it give you. Not a better camera or battery vs S5, G3.

I think I'm sticking with my Nexus 5.

They do give us a purer device and less capture and $100 or $200 discount.

guesswhat_567

Aug 21, 2013
Visit site

I don't get the hung up on specs and size of the phone .. This device changes how you user your phone and provides excellent user experience .. Not sure any other phone can do that to you .. Ya some might have better cameras and battery's but moto x as a whole package is a great buy ..

NoYankees44

Dec 20, 2011
Visit site

Well they did bring up an interesting question: Now that the moto x has less to differentiate itself from the competitors, how does it really stack up? If you want a large screen phone, why not just get a note or g3 with all the bells and whistles?

I personally think that they should have gone with a bezel less 5" design. That way they would not alienate as much of the small phone crowd, but still edge into the larger screen space.

I don't mind the size. It is the edge of what I think is acceptable, but I do not mind it. The only bummer on the whole phone for me is the "just enough" approach to the battery. I can find ways to easily deal with limited storage and other short comings of the device, but none of that matters if it is dead...

Clocks

Aug 27, 2010
Visit site

... If you want a large screen phone, why not just get a note or g3 with all the bells and whistles? ...
Active display, always listening, customized exterior, no skin, and you'll get android L within weeks.

That's what the moto x brings vs the competitors. If those aren't your thing, or don't matter that much, then LG, sony, and samsung all have combinations of longer battery, better cameras, better screens, s-pens, etc. But you'll lose...active display, always listening, customized exterior, no skin, and you don't buy a samsung/sony/lg for the android updates....

anon(464338)

Aug 29, 2011
Visit site

Active display, always listening, customized exterior, no skin, and you'll get android L within weeks.

That's what the moto x brings vs the competitors. If those aren't your thing, or don't matter that much, then LG, sony, and samsung all have combinations of longer battery, better cameras, better screens, s-pens, etc. But you'll lose...active display, always listening, customized exterior, no skin, and you don't buy a samsung/sony/lg for the android updates....

And to me, the updates and smooth flow of stock Android are what matters . Not the "bells and whistles" I realized this whole game with the last moto x that I'm typing on right now. Coming from a Note 4 I couldn't believe the fluid nature. I'll never go back to a skinned phone. I may be in the minority but the camera doesn't need to be top notch and I really don't need mass storage.

dwd3885

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site

And to me, the updates and smooth flow of stock Android are what matters . Not the "bells and whistles" I realized this whole game with the last moto x that I'm typing on right now. Coming from a Note 4 I couldn't believe the fluid nature. I'll never go back to a skinned phone. I may be in the minority but the camera doesn't need to be top notch and I really don't need mass storage.

I agree stock android flies. But is the X better than the Nexus 5? I feel it was last year until the Nexus came out. Tough spot because both phones were released within a few months of each other last year. Might be the same this year.

Citizen Coyote

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site

I listened as well, and I was a bit surprised at how disappointed they sounded at times. However, a lot of that disappointment was driven by the size (especially Jerry's, as he loved the original X above all others). If you listen to what they say about the phone itself, they like it. I am very eager to hear their review, especially since they threw plenty of shade at sites that released something right away.

I never owned the original X. I toyed with the idea many times, especially during the crazy sales earlier this year, but never pulled the trigger partly because I knew the successor was in the wings. All of the previous flagships were disappointments to me, with "flaws" that did not justify their high unlocked price.

HTC One M8: Great phone, but the camera and bezel just bugged me. Too big/tall for the screen size.
Samsung Galaxy S5: Never been a fan of Samsung's software or hardware, and this phone was no different.
LG G3: I thought this could be a serious contender until I realized just how big it is. Plus, I felt they caved to spec chasers when they slapped that screen in.
OnePlus One: Invites, lol. Also, never been a fan of CyanogenMod.

So yeah, unless I want to wait until the next Nexus or take a chance on a Sony device, the Moto X is it.

anon(464338)

Aug 29, 2011
Visit site
I agree stock android flies. But is the X better than the Nexus 5? I feel it was last year until the Nexus came out. Tough spot because both phones were released within a few months of each other last year. Might be the same this year.

I've honestly never used Nexus but no its not "better" than a Nexus as far as smoothness from what I gather. I just like how Moto is making features that are useful while still keeping the stock feel. I did want a nexus 5 and I may look into a Nexus this time too. I'm just not going to pass on the Moto X. I think they are doing it right.

livetoride4666

Apr 1, 2013
Visit site

How are you coming from a note 4??

livetoride4666

Apr 1, 2013
Visit site

Yes stock Android seems to be much smoother, but I have been reading reviews of lag with the new X

guesswhat_567

Aug 21, 2013
Visit site

I have one it flies ..its fastest phone I have used ..its faster than last year's x and nexus 5 ..0% lag on this guy ..everything is instantaneous ..

anon(464338)

Aug 29, 2011
Visit site

Yes stock Android seems to be much smoother, but I have been reading reviews of lag with the new X

Have a hard time believing there is lag with the powerful processor and light software. Moto is great at optimization. Where did you get this from? Post it if it's from a reputable source

megatomic

Feb 17, 2014
Visit site

Have a hard time believing there is lag with the powerful processor and light software. Moto is great at optimization. Where did you get this from? Post it if it's from a reputable source

I'd like to see this as well, all the reviews I've seen so far the UI is smooth as silk.

livetoride4666

Apr 1, 2013
Visit site

I'll find the reviews, but two reputable reviewers have stated this and they have been posted to this site. If you have been following the new x and reading reviews I am surprised you haven't read this. Do I understand or believe this? No or at least until I try it for myself. I was just stating what a few have mentioned

anon(464338)

Aug 29, 2011
Visit site
I'll find the reviews, but two reputable reviewers have stated this and they have been posted to this site. If you have been following the new x and reading reviews I am surprised you haven't read this. Do I understand or believe this? No or at least until I try it for myself. I was just stating what a few have mentioned

I haven't read this at all but I'm not really worried about it. I have found that "lag" has different meanings to people like if a page is still loading or a picture is still rendering, they think it lags if they scroll. They said the same about the first moto and I just don't see it. Every device can have a stutter, even the Almighty iphone. Some don't know what true lag is.